Shinko Tires

You should read this entire thread. Z rated is a lower rating than W.

Also watch the video in my previous post. It explains a lot about Shinko tires.

I'm happy to spend a few more bucks and get a proven tire that inspires confidence! Not that shinkos are not round and black but I'm not betting my life on anything made in Korea!

Nor China for that matter!

There is a reason Shinko tires are not Z rated! :whistle:

This type of thread ALWAYS starts a flame war, however, I am happy to report that I have been using a set of Shinko 009 Ravens on my Busa since May and I am so impressed with them that I will be replacing the tires on all my other bikes with Ravens when they need new tires. I have Metzeler M3s on my CBR1100xx and I think they are great, but they cost way too much, grip just the same for street riding and last way shorter than the Ravens. the Pilot powers that are currently on my VFR800 and were on my CBR1100xx are a joke, I can attest to the fact that the Ravens are significantly more stable & predictable in a corner.

tires.jpg

Avon ST's would be my 1st choice. All around, good cornering and miles (7K) on my last rear. 009's give the same miles but have a flat profile which is good for straight but won't turn in (corner) after a few miles of wear. Q2's if U run 3K a year or less!

...009's give the same miles but have a flat profile which is good for straight but won't turn in (corner) after a few miles of wear.

What do you call a "few miles of wear", I'm 7 months and a good few thousand miles into mine and they feel like they turn in just the same now as when they were just a few days old ? ???

I'm happy to spend a few more bucks and get a proven tire that inspires confidence! Not that shinkos are not round and black but I'm not betting my life on anything made in Korea!

Hey Tuf

So you must have a really hard time buying anything because the majority of products in the US are made in China. Smoke alarms in the house, cell phone you use etc... Country of origin doesn't matter, it is the quality of materials used and quality control in the manufacturing that really matters...I used continental tires when the Conti force first came out. They were at the same price point that the Shinkos are at now. Now the price of the Conti is about the same as Q2's and Pilots. You can't always judge quality by price. Just my ..02. e:
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
What do you call a "few miles of wear", I'm 7 months and a good few thousand miles into mine and they feel like they turn in just the same now as when they were just a few days old ? ???

I won't argue grip, but they are a much flatter shaped tire. You can't flick the bike side to side as fast with that shape of tire, as compared to the Pilot.
It's just made different, it is a better straight line tire than for curves. Yes, I've rode on them, no I'm not knocking them, just stating the fact that they handle differently. Grip is another can of worms. If you like them, that's all that matters.

Posted via Mobile DeviceOriginally Posted by Tufbusa

Hey Tuf

So you must have a really hard time buying anything because the majority of products in the US are made in China. Smoke alarms in the house, cell phone you use etc... Country of origin doesn't matter, it is the quality of materials used and quality control in the manufacturing that really matters...I used continental tires when the Conti force first came out. They were at the same price point that the Shinkos are at now. Now the price of the Conti is about the same as Q2's and Pilots. You can't always judge quality by price. Just my ..02. e:

Quality control in china? Have you been eating loco beans this morning? If it comes from China and it's cheap, it REALLY is cheap.This thread topic is Shinko Tires! No Shinko tire that I've ever seen is Z rated. That means one thing, there has been more than one fail at high speed. If they won't pass the speed test, I will avoid them at all cost! If you want to run Shinkos, have at it but you will never catch me on a Shinko Tire!

Your reference to Continental tires, I think they are made in Taiwan aren't they?

Quality control in china? Have you been eating loco beans this morning? If it comes from China and it's cheap, it REALLY is cheap.This thread topic is Shinko Tires! No Shinko tire that I've ever seen is Z rated. That means one thing, there has been more than one fail at high speed. If they won't pass the speed test, I will avoid them at all cost! If you want to run Shinkos, have at it but you will never catch me on a Shinko Tire!

Your reference to Continental tires, I think they are made in Taiwan aren't they?
Other than the race track there is nowhere you can legally or safely ride a motorcycle to speeds that will require Z ratings. Whether you use Shinko. Michelin or any other tire if you ate running fast enough to need it spend your money where you want. So no loco beans this morning and when you get time check your smoke alarms and All of thé components in your TV and other electronics and see where they were made. All Chinese products are not inferior quality. But hey believe what you want
Posted via Mobile Device

Other than the race track there is nowhere you can legally or safely ride a motorcycle to speeds that will require Z ratings. Whether you use Shinko. Michelin or any other tire if you ate running fast enough to need it spend your money where you want. So no loco beans this morning and when you get time check your smoke alarms and All of thé components in your TV and other electronics and see where they were made. All Chinese products are not inferior quality. But hey believe what you want
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry my friend, my busa don't have a smoke alarm or a tv?

Please post up photos of yours! :dunno:

All Chinese products are not inferior quality That depends on who you ask! I'd suggest you buy yourself a Chinese made Hyosung motorcycle then tell us about chinese quality control! :laugh:

Tuf in a Shinko thread....who'd a figured that :laugh:

All Chinese products are not inferior quality That depends on who you ask! I'd suggest you buy yourself a Chinese made Hyosung motorcycle then tell us about chinese quality control! :laugh:

*sigh* it was inevitable that this tread was headed downhill :laugh:

I'll throw out this one pertinent question:
Does anybody who has actually tried Shinkos on their bike have a bad thing to say about them?

sixpack577 - I can see what you are saying, the Raven's don't transition as fast as the pilots -BUT- the transition feels way more linear to me, both sets of pilots I have had seem to flop over easy enough, but then they get all twitchy, the Ravens just seem to track a predictable smooth line.

"Tuf in a Shinko thread....who'd a figured that" - Yeah really !!!!

Hey Tuf, I actually also own this:
GT250R5.JPG

What's your experience stemming from ?

I'll tell you what, here's one negative piece of feedback about one particular kind of Shinkos:
The OEM tires on the bike pictured above are Shinko model GT250R tires made specifically for that bike I believe, they are very wooden and don't have much feel. I will probably be upgrading them to Shinko Podiums (if I want to keep OEM sizes) or Ravens if I feel like going up one size. But they do OK for commuting.

Last edited:

I'm not betting my life on anything made in Korea!

this is what you said and what I was addressing by pointing out that your smoke alarm and electronics are made in China. I guess you are only concerned with "betting your life" when you are on the bike. But hey I have better things to do than waste anymore time debating an "opinion" with you. Shinko tires are more than capable of handling the normal day to day needs of the average motorcyclist. Not everybody can be the "Ultimate rider" you think you are :bowdown:

Does anybody who has actually tried Shinkos on their bike have a bad thing to say about them?

sixpack577 - I can see what you are saying, the Raven's don't transition as fast as the pilots -BUT- the transition feels way more linear to me, both sets of pilots I have had seem to flop over easy enough, but then they get all twitchy, the Ravens just seem to track a predictable smooth line.

"Tuf in a Shinko thread....who'd a figured that" - Yeah really !!!!

Hey Tuf, I actually also own on of these:
GT250R5.JPG

The Pilots get all "twitchy" because they aren't the best curve tire either. But you do see the difference in handling up to that point then. I don't know TufBusa, but I do know that guys at his riding level only ride the best tires because they know what can happen if they don't. Once you can outride a particulat tire, then you'll know. I don't claim to be a great rider, but I have outridden several tires over the years and drag a good knee... and I don't trust a Shinko either. Don't get mad, as I said just ME, my opinion for my riding style. Yes, I've ridden them and I don't like them.
To the contrary, I have a friend with an 05 GSXR1000, he bought it new as his first bike...EVER! He runs nothing but them, and has been through about 50 sets on his bike, no kidding. He has never touched the factory settings on his suspension, and his forks are like a pogo stick. He's never been on a track(nor have I) and he's never been told that his bike setup can't do what he does with it. He's a humble guy, and unbeliveably talented, and doesn't realize it. NONE of the fast local track guys can touch him! I'de love to see him do a track day and smoke everybody, Shinko's and all:laugh: For me personally, I'll stay with a sticky tire that I have some confedance in. Pilot's will do, but I don't trust them either. Q2's are finally cheap enough for me to run, and they are my next set. I have Pilots now, and just bought a used Avon storm rear to get me through til the warm weather. I do not ride hard on cold roads regardless of what tire.
I'm not here to advise anyone on what tire they run, just my opinion. Do I trust Shinko's? No. Are they capable of alot more than I ever imagined? Yes, I hate to admit it, but seeings beleiving. If my friend ran Pilots or better yet Q2's I would never keep up:laugh:

Last edited:
I'm not betting my life on anything made in Korea!

this is what you said and what I was addressing by pointing out that your smoke alarm and electronics are made in China. I guess you are only concerned with "betting your life" when you are on the bike. But hey I have better things to do than waste anymore time debating an "opinion" with you. Shinko tires are more than capable of handling the normal day to day needs of the average motorcyclist. Not everybody can be the "Ultimate rider" you think you are :bowdown:

No problem man. Feel free to voice your opinion anytime.

There is something to be learned from every opinion. Mine and Yours!

"Tuf in a Shinko thread....who'd a figured that" - Yeah really !!!! Hey Tuf, I actually also own this:
GT250R5.JPG

I'll tell you what, here's one negative piece of feedback about one particular kind of Shinkos:
The OEM tires on the bike pictured above are Shinko model GT250R tires made specifically for that bike I believe, they are very wooden and don't have much feel. I will probably be upgrading them to Shinko Podiums (if I want to keep OEM sizes) or Ravens if I feel like going up one size. But they do OK for commuting.

I was forced to buy a shinko rear for my '06 one time. Don't remember the model, but it caused my bike to shimmy at 120-125, was thankfully shot after 1800 miles and quickly became flat, which is great for straight out running ( larger patch ) but sucked for turning in and getting out of a corner . They were cheap, and only rated for 168 MPH, not a big deal, but our bikes will exceed that speed. Like I say this was 3 or 4 years ago.

Hey Dehning, you know that crashed out busa you have with all the chinese parts? I heard you now have a personalized plate that says "Made in China"!

Yeah, Really! :laugh:

I see by the purchase of your high end Hyosung that Obamaism has taken it's toll on you as well. I'm sorry about that man. Keep your chin up, I hear the job market will open back up in another two years! :poke:

Last edited:
Shinko makes Continental's motorcycle tires.

Also Z rated =above 149 mph
W rated = 168 mph

So the Shinko's are rated higher than a Z rated tire.

Hey Dehning, you know that crashed out busa you have with all the chinese parts? I heard you now have a personalized plate that says "Made in China"!

Yeah, Really! :laugh:

I see by the purchase of your high end Hyosung that Obamaism has taken it's toll on you as well. I'm sorry about that man. Keep your chin up, I hear the job market will open back up in another two years! :poke:

Busa's not crashed out, and yes it has many perfectly functioning Asian parts. My wave rotors, race levers, adjustable rearsets, LED blinkers, HH Pads and of course Shinko tires are working 100% perfectly, thanks for asking :thumbsup:

Can't speak to Obamaism, not really affecting me as bad because I'm not shelling out a fortune for overpriced parts :whistle: In fact my stable has never been in as good a state as it is right now, I can't find much to do to any of them they are all running great:
4b.jpg

I'm pretty sure my next purchase WILL be a set of Shinko Ravens for my VFR800 and my CBR1100xx :thumbsup:

Back