Shinko hook-up problems (again)

Boosted Cycle Perf

Donating Member
Site Sponsor
Registered
Dispite the problems with the tires the first year they were released, after the initial problems shinko seemed to have fixed the issue.

However last night I was practicing digs, I managed to roll the tire off the rim, and loose all air pressure. I was doing them on the freeway feeder by my house when it happened. Luckly I was only running first gear only so I was able to come to a safe stop.

On the last launch I did the bike left exceptionally hard, but after letting off the rear end wagged a little on me. So I stopped just in time to hear the rest of the air escape out of the tire on the right side bead.

The place I take me tires to use a light soap mix to mount drag tires. My bike was a little over 300hp when it happened. I checked the tire pressure before I went out and it was 30psi.

Sucks that this happened. That was the best tire I've ever ran on the street. Seriously, how many tire dead hook on the street with 30psi? Just putting the word out there.

Be safe.

3bc7c5e7.jpg

sorry about your problem, lucky you were only going 35 and not speed,
curious question to you, have you had any problems with the shinko balancing? meaning needing alot of wieght?

I just put glass cleaner around my bead when I put my tire on that was the first thing I seen handy and seemed to work okay however I don't have the hook up is the hook up a lot better than the ultra soft? I have always been a big fan of shinko...one more question I have a turbo busa and it doesn't seem to hook that well I think I'm stretched to far about 12 inches....how far are you stretched with 300 hp and does it seem to wheelie with you

I don't think you're the first one to post this issue with this brand of tire. I hate when I get that feeling in my pants. Had a few rear tire issues, I know what you're talking about. Always been amazed at how well these tires do with zero PSI. Hope I never have a front tire issue.

On the other hand I doubt anyone running under 200 RWHP will ever have this issue.

No other issues, nail, etc. valve stem all good. I wonder if you hadn't lost a little pressure before that last run, since it hooked so well, maybe the tire was just up to temp. :dunno:

I just put glass cleaner around my bead when I put my tire on that was the first thing I seen handy and seemed to work okay however I don't have the hook up is the hook up a lot better than the ultra soft? I have always been a big fan of shinko...one more question I have a turbo busa and it doesn't seem to hook that well I think I'm stretched to far about 12 inches....how far are you stretched with 300 hp and does it seem to wheelie with you

I'm at 66.5 wheelbase. I've always ran u-softs before I really upped the power, then it would just spin. The hook up hooked like no other. So yes I think it's a way better tire for the street, but not at the expense of my safety.

And as far as you go, you could put a drag slick on your bike and it's still gonna spin. Your best bet is to shorten it up....a lot. It's a miracle that my bike doesn't spin, but I've but a lot of time in to my suspension set up. Rule of thumb is 300hp and 64in wb is the max for the street.

seems like when you hit it it actually hooked so good that the rim and tired twisted causing this...... no way in hell would i be running that high of pressure though from a dig......... i dont "street race" though..... only track action for me...... have then re bead the tire....... NO LUBE

seems like when you hit it it actually hooked so good that the rim and tired twisted causing this...... no way in hell would i be running that high of pressure though from a dig......... i dont "street race" though..... only track action for me...... have then re bead the tire....... NO LUBE

You always wanna run as much pressure as traction will allow. For one so the tire won't spin on the rim, and two, less rolling resistance which means faster ET's. With other tires I would usually run 15-20psi and they would hook ok. That's why I was surprised that with 30psi it hooked better them most tires do at 10 on the track.

How many digs did you have before failure??

Just a shot in the dark, but makes me wonder if you turned the bead on the rim so far that it just finally gave up the ghost..... Dont suppose you marked the tire/wheel it to see how far your were moving each launch? I'll bet it was fairly substantial if you were hooking that hard...

Was the front floating up at all?

I had been considering the shinko myself... Currently running 64" with a Dunlop Q2... Hooks fair with a burnout, but on a dirty tire might as well be ice and thats on soft tall gearing (19/40 i think is what i have currently setup)...

Look into the power one. At my local track I an able to run 22-24 psi depending in the time of day. Most people running the hook up are running 16-20 in the same conditions. I get about 4-6 mph more out of the power one than I did a u soft that I was running before.

I won't run the Shinko, have heard to many horror stories like this.

As Brandon said, try a Power One.

That's what I just switched to but haven't had time for any results but will let you know... :beerchug:

Yeah I already ordered a new power one. It's sticker shock after buying shinkos for the past few years, but safety is priority, and getting all that expensive hp to stick is the second.

POWER ONE, BABY! THAT'S THE OOOOOOOOONLY WAY TO FLY! It'll last in the streets and at the race track. It costs more but it'll last twice as long as the stink-o. I had a stink-o hook up to let me down and Ill never use that brand again. Let us know how you like it.:thumbsup:

Almost forgot to tell you to make sure that first burn out is a good one because you gotta get down to the compound.:whistle:

sorry about your problem, lucky you were only going 35 and not speed,
curious question to you, have you had any problems with the shinko balancing? meaning needing alot of wieght?
I had a problem where it seemed like it needed a lot of wheel weight added, which it did, however it didn't clear the vibration problem. After spinning them on a balance stand I noticed that they were both actually out of round. Especially the rear.

I remounted them with no sucess and finally got tired of messing with them and bit the bullet and bought some Bridgestone BT-023's. I used the original wheel weights, lined up the yellow dots with the valves and they were perfect. They balanced out, no more shake and shimmy (smooth as glass) and as a side benefit, they hook up so much better along with dropping into a turn way easier.

The Shinko Ravens seemed like they wanted to go straight. I know some people like them but after this expensive expierience, I think they are junk with absolutely no quality control. I should have listened to the people on this board and I would have saved a lot of time and some money. I was using NAPA tire mounting lube but to no avail. Live and learn.

Murdered....I hear you. But you wouldn't belive how bad the bike started straightline hopping on me after 110mph. I have a friend who always used 003's on his zx-12 with no problem with 150 trap speeds. But these Ravens were truly unstable with the hopping so bad it felt like it was losing contact with the pavement. Maybe I should have tried the 003's since a ton of racers use them with no problem.

The Shiko will not hold withe the HP,
Time to spend some $$$ on a good Tire!

Sorry to hear that.
Did you have oem wheels?
and did you just have the shinko fitted or have you had them on for long?

I know this is semi unrelated, but since people are talking about Shinko tire failures.....

I run the Stealth 003 front and rear. I've had pretty decent luck with the rear aside from life span, but at 3k miles on the front, this happened after hitting a very non assuming "bump" in the road...

Western Powersports who is the only distributor for Shinko replaced the tire free of cost for me after only seeing those 2 pictures

shinko2.jpg

shinko1.jpg

Back