Shinko 010 Apex Radials on the way

soundman

Registered
Yesterday I ordered the tires for Busaboy 2 and decided that even though Pilot Powers are on clearance for 224.00 a set on tireexpess.com it would be hypocritical to order them after the recent heated Shinko debate, so I ordered a set of the new 010 Apex Sport Radials. I'll start posting pics as soon as they get here. Price was 203.65 Shipped for the 190/50 and 120/70 set. I also noticed that they have 190/55 rear tires available but figured I'd stick with stock on this bike for now.

Installed the tires last night and took some pics of them compared to some other tires I have.

Front compared to the Shinko 003

IMAG0265.jpg

Front compared to the Michelin Power One.

IMAG0266.jpg

Front compared to the Bridgeston BT-002

IMAG0268.jpg

Rear compared to the Michelin Pilot Road (the only other 190 rear I had lying around)

IMAG0270.jpg

Rear mounted and inflated

IMAG0271.jpg

Front mounted and inflated

IMAG0272.jpg

This is the first time the bike has rolled under it's own power since I got it so it may be a while before I give a road test. I can say that the rubber is very soft and flexible and the carcass is pretty compliant. The tires are a little heavy but the rubber is VERY thick so they should last a while. More info as it comes :)

I'll be following your report. I've been running the 009 Ravens for several years now...

These tires are MUCH more compliant than the 009's or 005's. I can also say that about the new 011 Verge radials. The rubber used in the 010's and 011's is much softer than that used in the 009's and 005's so they probably won't last as long. I'll be installing new brake pads tonight so I should have the bike on the road by Sunday. Hopefully everything goes well so I can pay attention to the tires. lol

Those are gonna make for some amazing fast turn ins with that kind of profile. Can't wait to hear the verdict.

Put a few miles on them before pushing it. Looks like a great patch, don't know how they would handle a heavy rain.

Went out riding yesterday and all I discovered was this:

IMAG0275.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

Half starved and very very lost and scared.

Apparently abandoned in the middle of nowhere by some a**h****. Ended up riding my bike back into town and going back out in my van and picking her up. Anybody need a good dog?? lol

YAY!
Finally got on the road with the busa on the Apex 010's today. Did some suspension setting to get the bike ready for the day but really need to raise the rear 1" to make the bike turn better. Busaboy 1 had +1 linkage and I've really noticed the difference. Set the tire pressures at 32 lbs front and rear and hit the road.
The 010's really feel good. Very compliant but still have good feel. Not the most feel I've ever had but still as much as most tires I've ridden on. The tires warmed up quickly and had good, consistent traction. Braking traction and stability are equal or better than just about any tire I've ridden on. Turn in was light and linear and the only thing close to a moment that I had all day were two times that I felt the rear spin up. Once when I let the rear tire touch a painted line and once when I didn't realize that a corner was covered in a fine layer of dried grass. Both of these happened when I was hard on the gas so it was no big surprise.
To compare these to other Shinko tires I've ridden on.
To the 005. These tires are MUCH softer than the 005's. The front has much more feel and compliance, much better traction, and also better braking stability.
To the 003. Turn in is much faster than the 003's while stability is just as good.
The rubber these tires are made of is reeaaalllly soft so longevity may be an issue. I'm figuring they'll last as long as most other sport tires do though. Just be sure to raise your pressures for longer trips and you should be fine.
I'll probably add some more tomorrow but in the interest of getting some sleep I'm giving up for now. I leave you with a couple of post ride pics.

IMAG0312.jpg

IMAG0314.jpg

Alright.. Now that I'm semi rested and had a few days to process Sunday's ride a few more words about the 010's.

Plush is the way I'd describe their feel. you still get good feel from the front and rear but it's not as telegraphic as I've experienced with the BT016's. Not to say that this is a bad thing. It's like the difference in having someone poke you in the hand with the sharp end of a pencil vs. the eraser. You feel both but they are different. When I would push these tires into the corners I could almost feel the tires flexing to conform to the road surface. Push harder, feel more conformity. There is really nothing about these tires that I felt that I disliked. They turn in faster than the Shinko 003's, feel more stable than Pirelli Diablos, felt more compliant than Bridgestone BT016's and felt better from cold than Bridgestone 003's. Ok.. the opposite end of the stick. They don't give the feedback or the 016's or Diablos, probably don't have the magnetic grip of the 003's, and might not outlast the 003's but I don't really care. I think these tires are very good. The only thing that might stop me from buying another set would be longevity and honestly I can really fault myself for some of their accelerated wear. I've had to make two spirited trips on 4 lane highways since I put these tires on the busa and going 50 miles one way on a sport tire at the speeds I was travelling (no admission of speeding here mind you) would tend to take it's toll on the center of a tire. In the twisties I've got no complaints.

In closing I'll say that these tires are worth trying and probably worth trying twice. :)

Good review, thanks for the write up.

How do you think these would work for a trackday? This would be at beginner level not advanced or expert.

Absolutely. There have actually been reviews of the 003's that say that they are good enough for intermediate level riders and I consider these tires to be more track day oriented than the 003's are.

Back