Shifter linkage removal

dewie

Registered
I know I had a ***** of a time doing this on my 05 but can't remember how I did it. How do I remove the knuckle part off the foot gear shifter on a gen 1. I'm sure it pops off but it's being a royal pita and I don't want to damage it. Any tips are appreciated.

Loosen the bolt, drive a screw driver in the slot and it slides right off. Don't forget to mark where it is so you can get it back in the same place. Thats how I would do it :thumbsup:

I never had to use a screwdriver as a pry bar to open it
You have to REMOVE the 10MM bolt completly then remove the "knuckle" from the shaft.

I never had to use a screwdriver as a pry bar to open it
You have to REMOVE the 10MM bolt completly then remove the "knuckle" from the shaft.
You are right, I just remembered there was a notch in the shaft. My 08 was so tight I had to pry it apart a little to get it to move.

Hello. Is there anyway of figuring out the position if you didn’t mark the knuckle. I did but the sharpie rubbed off.

Just adjust it until it feels comfortable for your shift foot.
Ever since I took the knuckle off, depends on the position it would either not shift out of neutral only into first. I know it’s not much to go by but what am I doing wrong?
Thanks for any information.

Last edited:
Ever since I took the knuckle off, depends on the position it would either not shift out of neutral only into first. I know it’s not much to go by but what am I doing wrong?
Thanks for any information.
happened to me aswell as the mark got wiped off. Look in user manual and adjust it properly. It looks simple when its all in place..But it is a whole different story when it is taken apart!
If you cant figure it out - I will make a photo when i get home and post it here so you can see the correct position.

OR @c10 could make a video..... :banana: :bowdown:......for C10s Garage

happened to me aswell as the mark got wiped off. Look in user manual and adjust it properly. It looks simple when its all in place..But it is a whole different story when it is taken apart!
If you cant figure it out - I will make a photo when i get home and post it here so you can see the correct position.

OR @c10 could make a video..... :banana: :bowdown:......for C10s Garage
I got it thanks for the help. Didn’t know that the bike had to be on. Haha I know bone head move! But I’m learning!

Back