Shift Lever Fell Off....

Bought new '05 Busa this May, now with 1800 miles on it.  This AM while riding the gear shift lever was suddenly dangling by the linkage.  I screwed it on a bit and then at home tightened it with a wrench - but I cannot seem to get it really tight; need a narrow wrench perhaps.  Questions:

- Is this typical?
- Should I use loc-tite on the threads?
- Should I just tighten and then keep an eye on it?

Thanks, gang.
Which end came loose.  The one that is to the rear that fits on a post with a washer and snap ring, or the end that goes from the shifter to a ball looking gizmo? I find that to tighten the locking nuts in the diagram, I have to take the snap ring off and pull the shifter out a bit to get a wrench on them.

I'm gonna locktite everything just to be sure.

<!--EDIT|FAVahalik
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126720088 -->

Favahalic, mine came loose at the rear. The part with the snap ring. It freaked me out a bit cause I was cruising down the interstate at about 90mph and I was gonna get into it a little, went to downshift and I couldn't find my shifter. I looked down and saw it hanging. I thought I'd be stranded for sure. I tightened up the best I could then, but you can't tighten it all the way unless you take the snap ring and shifter off. I did that after I got home and loc tited it real good. Problem solved.

Favahalic, mine came loose at the rear. The part with the snap ring. It freaked me out a bit cause I was cruising down the interstate at about 90mph and I was gonna get into it a little, went to downshift and I couldn't find my shifter. I looked down and saw it hanging. I thought I'd be stranded for sure. I tightened up the best I could then, but you can't tighten it all the way unless you take the snap ring and shifter off. I did that after I got home and loc tited it real good. Problem solved.
That would freak me out too! I went home and re-checked after reading this post, and sure enough, it was beginning to screw out. I used blue locktite this time. I put it on the adjusting nuts too. But now I'm wondering if the guy that has the diagram is telling us to put locktite onto the threads of the shaft that go into the ball connector and not the locking nuts. I'll PM him.

i lost the bolt that clamps the shifter onto the splined shaft coming out of the motor. gonna pick up a new one and loctite everything. what a pita.

Same thing. Had my '05 Busa for four months and was riding home in rush hour traffic in LA. Went to shift into 2nd gear and the gear shift lever was dangling by the linkage. Drove straight to the dealer in first gear and they put a new bolt and washer on it and tightened it down using some blue locktite. No problem since... Except for the old man that wiped me out in an intersection the day before Thanksgiving by making an illegal left hand turn. Six weeks and $5800 later, I got my bike back last night... Cheers!

I'm curious, only the '05s have this problem and it seems to be everywhere. Which is strange, doesn't the local dealer assemble the bike or is the shifter preassembled in the crate??

Sounds like the person working that area of the bike on the assembly line is slacking off. I had similar problems as well the sensor for the speedo pickup falling off and breaking the sprocket cover. After these problems i spent an afternoon checking every nut, bolt, washer, and cotter pin. Kinda scarey to think a bike that can do close to 200 MPH has problems with stuff just falling off for no good reason.

I'll remember to check and keep and eye on mine , Hopefully they started tightning the 06's. May loctite it anyway just to be on the safe side.

Was riding at night and went to shift down to first and it dropped off! It was luckily dangling there. Good thing my husband was right behind me or I would have been screwed for sure! 05' with about 1,000 miles on it. The dealership just laughed when I told them what happened. Didn't appreciate that much.:angry:

For you locktiters, just be sure you don't need to remove the piece(s) in the future before putting the blue on. Either that or keep a torch handy
wink.gif

Dont be hesitant to use loctite and make sure you angle the lever slighty lower to compensate for the infamous 5th thru 6th gear missed gearshift.......just my .02

Back