service bulletin no.127????

dr.nick

Registered
Hi,can anyone tell me what this part contains???(pn.99500-39183-03E),it's
to repair the starter gear in the 1999-2002 busa's..I called several Suzuki
dealer's,and they said pt.# is good,price is between $75-$82,but they couldn't give me part description
sad.gif
...need to know what I'm spending $80
on
wtf.gif
THX

That would be just for the gear.  Most likely you will need the starter clutch if it is not starting or just spining.  The whole unit is about 128.00.  If you do the gear you will als need a new gasket.

Oh and look under the repair manual on this site.  You should be able to see all the parts numbers.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=24;t=29016

That would be just for the gear.  Most likely you will need the starter clutch if it is not starting or just spining.  The whole unit is about 128.00.  If you do the gear you will als need a new gasket.

Oh and look under the repair manual on this site.  You should be able to see all the parts numbers.

Ninja eater,are you saying that part# is the Idler gear??...and Nickslick's download,is that the OEM "Shop Manual"?? ....bike starts fine,no problems,except I heard a sharp bang emanating from that side of bike upon startup
wowold.gif
first time I experienced that noise in 8 years,since then I've started bike up many times,and it seems to be normal
please.gif
THX

Ninja eater,are you saying that part# is the Idler gear??...and Nickslick's download,is that the OEM "Shop Manual"?? ....bike starts fine,no problems,except I heard a sharp bang emanating from that side of bike upon startup
wowold.gif
first time I experienced that noise in 8 years,since then I've started bike up many times,and it seems to be normal
please.gif
 THX
That loud pop you heard was probably the starter clutch slipping then catching. If you're lucky, no damage was done to the starter gears or your case. If I were in your situation, (I was, with my '02, in early 2005.) I'd remove the starter idler gear cover, starter clutch cover, idler gear, and starter clutch to inspect for damage. If no damage is found, I'd replace the starter clutch and cover gaskets with new ones.

This problem was first found on big displacement high compression drag bikes when the engine would kick back with enough force to cause the starter clutch to slip. When it would catch in the middle of a kick-back, starter related gears and/or the engine case would break. I believe Suzuki had a bad batch of starter clutch assys. in late 2001 and 2002. My 2002 was stock when it began to have starter clutch problems. I eliminated kick-back as a cause when I disconnected the coils and hit the starter button. It still popped. I replaced the starter clutch and had no problems until she was stolen.

For the 2003 model year and newer, Suzuki beefed up the starter clutch assy., idler gears, and added a back torque limiting mechanism to one of the starter gears. You could upgrade to the '03 and up starter mechanism, but that is expensive because everything from the starter to the starter clutch has to be changed.

For information about this problem read: this thread
I notice the post dates in that thread are messed up. It lists my posts after my Tetsuko was stolen, which was not the case. Weird.

Karl

Back