Serious, Urgent, Look into this please

lastmanstanding

Registered
Hey guys, I am from India and as i have already booked my 06 Canberry - black few weeks back, i am expecting my bike next week, but i read these few points mentioned about busa on a local forum here, please give your verdict on these points,  
sad.gif
i am really worried, helpppppppp

Here is the post

"Dear Brothers,

i had earlier posted an article R1 or 12R. Thanks a lot for your advise and suggestions.

in this mail i would like to share with you my experience riding the busa for the first time.

in my quest for sbk's my friend who had recently brought a 03'busa gave it to me for a couple of hours yesterday evening. I would like to share my ride and the problems that i faced with you.

i rode the bike yesterday evening between 6pm and 8pm office time traffic (chennai). The max speed that i went was 60- 70 kmph and i was able to go until the 4th gear.

Contrary to the weight and size of the bike, it was quite easy to manouver. I was able to weave in and out with comfort. At no point in time did i rip the bike. i dont have to tell anything about its speed or pick up or performance.

Below are the problems that i had faced:

1. Taking u-turn: While taking a u-turn on the bike, u have to be very carefull in balancing the bike, the entire weight shifts to one side and at this time u realize what a monster it is. The second u-turn i took was on a small road i actually had to do it slowly and push the bike back and forth before i could turn completely.U need to control your right hand or ---> god be with you.

2. Parking: When the bike is parked and u need to get it out, like bring it back in reverse or turn, when you push the bike with your legs there is a lot of strain on your lower back. There is actually a lot of effort that goes here. For people with back problems this is not a good sign.

3. Over heating: After the first half hour of my ride the bike was like a furnace. There is a lot of heat that i could feel on my thighs and below. It is quite uncomfortable. My wife who sat behind said she would feel it to be hot knees below. The heat is just too much. I heard that medically too much heat near / on your groins could cause sterility problems (what i have heard, am not sure about it myself). The bike is like a moving furnace. Also in traffic the bike overheats u can see the temperature indicator moving up quite fast.

4. Starting problem: After one hour i parked the bike in my house. When i tried to start it again, i was in a for a surprise ---> it just wouldnt start. I panicked and called my friend who calmly told me that is it heating problem and i need to wait for 15 - 20mins to start it. So after 20mins the bike started (God i was just standing there and looking at the bike for 20mins it is actually frustrating to see such a piece of beauty in front of u and u cannot use it). After another one hour i parked it my friends place. when i he tried to take it for a spin ---> no surprises this time overheating again (he told me that he spent a irritating and frustrating 25mins for it to start)

Now i dont know if this is a problem in this busa or there is a overheating in all Busa's.

A few things

- no doubts busa is the ultimate fantasy bike. I will never debate it. i would like to own it anyday

- am to buy a sbk in a couple of months, after a sleepless nite i have taken a conscious decision that i will buy an R1. my reasons being ease of use, smaller size, lighter and doesnt heat so much. Most of all i can switch of the bike and start it immediately!!! It may sound stupid but this is my decision.

Brothers it is such a great task mentally to accept reality that i would not buy the busa bcos of a few practical problems. Because no matter how much i think about the R1 there is one part of my mind that always goes on saying "Busa is the best, buy it, buy it". But i got to resist that and be practical (actually even litre bikes are too much)

What i have written here is my personal experience. If you find any of the points disturbing or incorrect, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CORRECT ME.

please note 2 things: 1. Am an amateur (probably a poser) 2. never owned a sbk

Please share your comments on what i have written.

Thank you. Have a nice day."

<!--EDIT|lastmanstanding
Reason for Edit: None given...|1133442426 -->

I am in Florida, 90-95F summers and have never had the overheating problems that you encountered. Engine Ice cooler will lower your temps some and help with the heat. You do have to plan how and where you are going to park the bike to avoid having to back it up much. As far as the starting when it is hot, no problems there either. The only time mine is rough starting is when I am very low on fuel and the bike is hot from hard running. It seems like a vapor lock in the fuel system, but after 3 tries, she fires right up.
Good luck in your choice, but if you plan on 2 up riding a lot, your wife/girlfriend will be much happier on the back of the Busa. Just a more comfortable place to be.

I don't know about the overheating and the starting thing, nor the lower back problems while pushing.

Never really ran into those problems with mine.
rock.gif

As for the turns, well, yeah...she can be quite a handful in the short tight stuff, but once you get around to feeling more comfortable with the bike, it'll be easy as pie. I've had no problems turning the bike around on a one-lane road---once I got used to it.

Remember, ya gotta work with the bike....not against it. Give yourself some time to get more acquainted with the Busa. You'll find out that more often than not, she'll take care of you once you start working together as a team.
wink.gif

Non starting when it's hot is strange, Ive run mine ragged in 95+ degree, 80% humidity at the drags, and she would always fire right up.
As far as the other issues, you admit that you've no experience with this caliber of bike, the heat is not abnormal, You will get used to it, and sterility, well, a bunch of us have kids, you do the math.....
U turns and backing up, well the busa is not a bike for weaklings or wussies, man up son!

I own an '05 and have never had any of those problems. My guess is, whoever wrote those "worries" is a very inexperienced rider who is way over his/her head with their Busa.
blush.gif
I got a good laugh out of the U-turn part!
laugh.gif

Hey guys, I am from India and as i have already booked my 06 Canberry - black few weeks back, i am expecting my bike next week, but i read these few points mentioned about busa on a local forum here, please give your verdict on these points,
sad.gif
i am really worried, helpppppppp

Here is the post

"Dear Brothers,

i had earlier posted an article R1 or 12R. Thanks a lot for your advise and suggestions.

in this mail i would like to share with you my experience riding the busa for the first time.

in my quest for sbk's my friend who had recently brought a 03'busa gave it to me for a couple of hours yesterday evening. I would like to share my ride and the problems that i faced with you.

i rode the bike yesterday evening between 6pm and 8pm office time traffic (chennai). The max speed that i went was 60- 70 kmph and i was able to go until the 4th gear.

Contrary to the weight and size of the bike, it was quite easy to manouver. I was able to weave in and out with comfort. At no point in time did i rip the bike. i dont have to tell anything about its speed or pick up or performance.

Below are the problems that i had faced:

1. Taking u-turn: While taking a u-turn on the bike, u have to be very carefull in balancing the bike, the entire weight shifts to one side and at this time u realize what a monster it is. The second u-turn i took was on a small road i actually had to do it slowly and push the bike back and forth before i could turn completely.U need to control your right hand or ---> god be with you.

2. Parking: When the bike is parked and u need to get it out, like bring it back in reverse or turn, when you push the bike with your legs there is a lot of strain on your lower back. There is actually a lot of effort that goes here. For people with back problems this is not a good sign.

3. Over heating: After the first half hour of my ride the bike was like a furnace. There is a lot of heat that i could feel on my thighs and below. It is quite uncomfortable. My wife who sat behind said she would feel it to be hot knees below. The heat is just too much. I heard that medically too much heat near / on your groins could cause sterility problems (what i have heard, am not sure about it myself). The bike is like a moving furnace. Also in traffic the bike overheats u can see the temperature indicator moving up quite fast.

4. Starting problem: After one hour i parked the bike in my house. When i tried to start it again, i was in a for a surprise ---> it just wouldnt start. I panicked and called my friend who calmly told me that is it heating problem and i need to wait for 15 - 20mins to start it. So after 20mins the bike started (God i was just standing there and looking at the bike for 20mins it is actually frustrating to see such a piece of beauty in front of u and u cannot use it). After another one hour i parked it my friends place. when i he tried to take it for a spin ---> no surprises this time overheating again (he told me that he spent a irritating and frustrating 25mins for it to start)

Now i dont know if this is a problem in this busa or there is a overheating in all Busa's.

A few things

- no doubts busa is the ultimate fantasy bike. I will never debate it. i would like to own it anyday

- am to buy a sbk in a couple of months, after a sleepless nite i have taken a conscious decision that i will buy an R1. my reasons being ease of use, smaller size, lighter and doesnt heat so much. Most of all i can switch of the bike and start it immediately!!! It may sound stupid but this is my decision.

Brothers it is such a great task mentally to accept reality that i would not buy the busa bcos of a few practical problems. Because no matter how much i think about the R1 there is one part of my mind that always goes on saying "Busa is the best, buy it, buy it". But i got to resist that and be practical (actually even litre bikes are too much)

What i have written here is my personal experience. If you find any of the points disturbing or incorrect, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CORRECT ME.

please note 2 things: 1. Am an amateur (probably a poser) 2. never owned a sbk

Please share your comments on what i have written.

Thank you. Have a nice day."
1: You are not familiar with the bike, so you may be afraid to turn fast enough for the bike to do some of the work for you. It's no R1, but it is still a very managable bike, even at slow speeds.
2: It is a meaty bike for a sport bike, but lowering it a bit may make this easier for you. I am 6-1 and have no problems.
3: If you felt that much heat, what was the temp of the bike? Busas do a pretty good job of keeping heat off the rider. Most sportbikes do not have as close fitting fairings. The R1s I have ridden transmit far more heat to the rider than a Busa does.

Another thing to consider is comfort. All current sportbikes are fast, but for longer rides I would much rather be on my Busa.

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1133446350 -->

1. any bike's learning curve
2. any bike's learning curve
3. ?? All bike's I've had get hot, especially low speed crusiing in summer. needs coolant refresh or has an issue? any bike can have a glitch
4. guy's bike has an issue? any bike can have a glitch

good luck

I'm 5'7'' and 165lbs... So I can relate with how heavy the bike is when you park incorrectly. I always pick the spots to park that make me look the least like the asshat I am. I almost always back it in so I can pull straight out... I have only parked stupidly once and that was enough... I parked with the bike facing the wrong way at the bottom of a hill with no room to back it up and no room to forward.

Making slow turns is definitly a matter of experience with the bike or any bike for that matter. If this is someones first bike and they don't take the time to get acclimated to the weight it is unforgiving. Take the time to get used to the way the bike handles. Find a large parking lot and start with large u-turn and go smaller from there.

My bike overheated the first day I got it... I had to burb it... Ever since it has been fine... I have ridden in high humidity and high temps with no problems since. Some bikes have problems some don't... Nothing is insurmountable... fix it and forget it.

I think the best advice anyone can give you is to take your time getting used to the bike... Read the manual and familarize yourself with all its workings... and never ever ever let anyone ride it that can't pay you cash as soon as they drop it. Good luck!

holey cow.....having trouble responding to this post in a civilized manner. Best to say nothing, I guess.

I''m in west Texas and I rode in a bunch of 100 temp never had a bit of problems, yea it does get a little warm at times, and the weight does show itself when making slow turns. parking its the same with anything park the right way and there is no problem. But the one thing you need to remember when you get used to it just like anything it gets easier and easier, and you will love the Busa
wink.gif

If he is riding in traffic in a Large City in India in the Southern Half I can understand the Heating  
firedevil.gif
 problem. If your in the States, I have no idea except you have a tech problem. All bikes with full fairings put off LOTS of heat in high temps and slow stop and go traffic. Most though is from the frame after it gets heat soaked from hot air staying under the fairing. My TLR frame gets REAL Hot doing that, but once you get going it's gone. And with a Busa, why would you just troll around on the street  
wink.gif

I haven't had any of those problems...
It does get hot, but nothing that makes me uncomfortable... (tip, once you start moving, open your legs out to allow some airflow to your privates
wink.gif
)

Any bike you ride you need more than a few hours to get the feel of it.. The busa is alot of bike and is heavy, but that is what makes it so GREAT
biggrin.gif
I myself am not a knee dragger so yes u-turns sux for me , but you will get better at them with time. Also since Texas gets so hot here alot of guys install better fans with switches so they can turn the fan on when need.. I learned the hard way to be careful how I park my bike cause yes it is heavy revising it on a little hill, good leg work out,lol, but lowering it helped alot even though I am 5'9.. I don't have no starting problems, try turning up your idle ..?..

Any bike you ride you need more than a few hours to get the feel of it.. The busa is alot of bike and is heavy, but that is what makes it so GREAT
biggrin.gif
 I myself am not a knee dragger so yes u-turns sux for me , but you will get better at them with time. Also since Texas gets so hot here alot of guys install better fans with switches so they can turn the fan on when need.. I learned the hard way to be careful how I park my bike cause yes it is heavy revising it on a little hill, good leg work out,lol, but lowering it helped alot even though I am 5'9.. I don't have no starting problems, try turning up your idle ..?..
Ya wanna meet early outside the track Friday afternoon or just meet later at the track later. Just give a time and place either way and I'll be there.

David

Learn the basics on the bike...I can do figure 8's with the bars turned to the stops barely moving...at first the bike does feel like it has a magnet sucking you to the ground... I missed the feeling until I put on the pilot powers...

Never been a problem with me...especially since it's pretty low already, guess I'm pretty muscular too...

Never had this problem....at all. Vmax put a switch on his bike to prevent this from being an issue though..

Never had this problem either...although if the fan is running, I turn the bike off using the kill switch and let the fan finish running.  Mine did start acting like it was getting harder to start...Changed out the battery no problem, no more.

Anyhow...everything/everyone has a vice, I can say though .. as a hobby I like to work on bikes/cars/electronics,
guess it's the engineer in me...but "this" busa is the easiest to work on and troubleshoot and has been the most reliable thing I've ever owned. I've put 23000 hard riding miles on her in 2 years...6 sets of tires 3 sets of HH's, dropped once and laid twice..she is a tank.. Most of the mid-atlantic people could vouce for my info.  :o)

PJ (the non-post #####) <- WH0RE is the word..(funny how theres always a work around.... haahaa

<!--EDIT|UUBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1133453829 -->

Also I see you have never own a bike, even though I know guys who busas were thier first bike I don't recommen it. Just my opinion, get a liter bike. A new rider needs to build up thier upper strength and feel the power of a liter bike before getting on a busa. Trust me the topic would have gone a different way , like what a ride, how smooth is that busa, Woo Hoo got to get one..
biggrin.gif

I agree with LadyICE. But I personally wouldn't recommend a liter. They're just as strong if not more powerful than stock busas nowadays. I would recommend a 600 or better yet, SV650's for a learning bike. My first bike (street) was a 2002 GSXR-600 and I'm glad I went that route for a few years. Gotta develop not only streetriding knowledge but manuvering knowledge as well. Most 600's are well suited for that nowadays.

Now don't laugh cause my husband had a chioce of bikes to buy and choose the Kaw 636. That's right a 600, and he has heard it all before, why does wifey have a bigger bike, blah blah blah. But it fits his lifestyle. He rides it everyday to work, rain or cold. He likes the lightness of it and he is more of a twistie kind of guy. I seen him take turns at 160..And it has plenty of max speed, we will be having fun on a back road I was going about 150 and he blows by me at 167. Now don't get me wrong I could have catch up quickly but I like sex to much, LOL...So the story is wether u think the busa is the baddest bike(which it is) buy a bike that fits you and your stlye of riding...And if you are new work your way up, you will be glad you did...

1. The Busa is a heavy bike, but once you learn to ride her she is sweet. U-turns can be a bear if you fight her, just use a little counter steering and throttle her in end and she comes right up. Must be comfortable rider on Busa, but when there you can u-turn in residental streets no issue.
2. Once again, the Busa is a heavy bike. Just pay a little attention to where you park and you can eliminate the problem of having to push her back. When you have to push her back, I do not find that it causes me lower back issues at all. (6' 220lbs).
3. I have an 04 and have not had any issues with overheating. I live in the desert and ride on 100F days with no issues. As far as heat on the legs, well on most any bike that I have ridden in traffic there is heat on the legs. I don't notice a difference on the Busa from other bikes I have been on. 100F sitting at a stop light, yup legs get warm... rolling in traffic at aroun 20mph yup legs get warm... out on highway at speed no issues. Trick is to stay out of traffic..
tounge.gif

4. Have never had an issue starting "My Baby" while she is warm. Don't know what to say about this.

Seems the email was written by an admitted amateur or even a Poser... that explains a lot of what he wrote. You need to respect the Busa and get to know her, once that is done she is a bike that you will not want to leave at home...
smile.gif

Thanx a million guys
smile.gif
, well this was the post which was up in a local forum here, so as i am already expecting my busa next week, reading these points was very much annoying, well busa is not my first bike but again i have never tasted busa, i have my experience with 10r and cbr's, well I really appreciate your input over here my friends, i am glad i found this place:)

Back