Sensitive Throttle Fixed

srstein

Registered
I fixed the on/off throttle problem on my bike.

When I bought my bike it had 22,000 miles on it. After I was more accustomed to the way it handled I realized that the throttle was extremely sensitive and it was either off or hold-the-heck-on which wasn't helping my confidence through corners.

crazy.gif

I pulled off the airbox and had a look inside the throttle bodies and when I twisted the throttle (with the engine off) I noticed a thick brown ring. You can see it in the picture.

(continued...)

tb1.JPG

I grabbed a bottle of carb cleaner and a handful of gun cleaning patches (cotton swabs would also work.) I sprayed a patch and used my finger to wipe down the inside of the throttle body and the throttle plate on both sides. There are also vacuum line ports I made sure to clean.

If you use carb cleaner, make sure the engine is off and you don't spray inside the throttle body. There is a special throttle body and air intake cleaner that can be used while the engine is running...and what I did next.

You can see how dirty the patches got after cleaning the throttle bodies.

(continued...)

tb4.JPG

For good measure, I started the engine and sprayed each of the throttle bodies with throttle body cleaner. Already I could tell the bike was running better.

All I can say is that it's an entirely different bike! The throttle roll-on is smooth like it should be and doesn't jump from idle like it used to.

At first I thought my bike needed to be dyno tuned to correct the problem. Turns out it cost me $2.50 and less than an hour of time!

You can see the difference below...

tb3.JPG

Glad you got it figured out and fixed! On the cheap, too! Can't beat that!
beerchug.gif

Whodathunkit? Great idea to check this!

When cleaning the body does the battery need to be disconnected or allow everything to dry completely?

I did this on my Maxima and it threw a code for the TPS sensor.

I only cleaned the inside of the throttle bodies by wiping them out by hand. If you spray while the engine is running you want to make sure it's a throttle body cleaner and not a carb cleaner. Carb cleaners are too aggressive and may damage the sensors and seals. (Although, I did cheat by using carb cleaner sprayed to a cotton pad first with the engine off.)

The TPS sensor is off to the side and unless you're spraying it directly with cleaner (which I wouldn't recommend) it should be ok. If you're really concerned about it, just wipe out the inside of the throttle bodies by hand with the engine off and everything should be fine.

I didn't spray the outside of the throttle bodies or the engine as I didn't see any benefit to doing it and risk damaging sensors, seals, hoses or paint.

I hope this helps!
biggrin.gif

Another thing, one of the most important parts of the cleaning is removing the brown ring where the throttle plate closes. This affects the airflow to the engine at a low throttle position. This is very apparent if you watch how little it opens when the throttle is moved and the engine running.

Mine had a noticeable lip that had developed over time.

I plan on adding this to my routine maintenance and cleaning them out the same time I change the oil.

I have 22,500 miles on a 2005 - at 21,000 I replaced the chain and sprockets.
Prior to replacing the chain and sprockets I started to experience a surging at 3500 to 4000 RPM only.
I thought that was a clear sign that my chain/sprockets were bad.
I still have the surge problem only in 1 thru 4th gear at 3500-4000RPM.

If I shift to 5th or 6th -the surge goes away.
I am the original owner and did not have this problem until approx 21,000 mile.

I have been told this is common for the Busa - however I had never experienced this before.

Busa is stock - I do have Micro slip ons and a KnN air filter - since New.

Any Idea's

Just had mine apart, didn't even look inside the throttle bodies. Next time I'll make sure I do a good inspection.

(busa05 @ Aug. 14 2007,20:00) I have 22,500 miles on a 2005 - at 21,000 I replaced the chain and sprockets.
Prior to replacing the chain and sprockets I started to experience a surging at 3500 to 4000 RPM only.
I thought that was a clear sign that my chain/sprockets were bad.
I still have the surge problem only in 1 thru 4th gear at 3500-4000RPM.

If I shift to 5th or 6th -the surge goes away.
I am the original owner and did not have this problem until approx 21,000 mile.

I have been told this is common for the Busa - however I had never experienced this before.

Busa is stock - I do have Micro slip ons and a KnN air filter - since New.

Any Idea's
I'm not an expert as I'm figuring these things out myself. The cleaning definitely helped a great deal, although I still had a bad surge at any speed even after cleaned I the throttle bodies.

Last week I got around to replacing the cush drives in the rear wheel. I could tell they were very worn because the sprocket had a little play relative to the wheel and it basically fell off when I took the rear wheel off the bike. The new cush drives needed a little spray of windex to help get the sprocket assembly back in because of the tight fit and there was no movement. Again, my bike has around 25,000 miles and I doubt they were ever replaced.

The bike response is fantastic now and the surge, drive line play or slack that I felt is virtually gone.

I hope this helps!

smile.gif

Back