Seen a new tool yesterday...no...not what ya think.

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
:laugh: Anyways,was working on a buddy's V-hick-L yesterday when I spied sumfin in his tool box. Just when you think they couldn't improve things.Well, its a gadget that may have been invented 10 years ago,I don't get out much.:p
Anyway its the cresent wrench (Canada), monkey wrench(USA) or the adjustable spanner(UK countries).
NOT a fan. They are lazy man's way of destroying a fastener. IMO. I guess they have their place. At the bottom of the rubbish bin (UK)

Anyway,I guess for the tackle box,emergency trunk tools,etc it might be handy.
I took a few pics. It seems to release and grab again with about 45 degrees of rotation. Not bad,but not great.It can be locked to take out the ratcheting feature.

Place on bolt you want to ruin...

Turn and witness the "Increda-action"

And walla...bold loosened,tightened..and prolly ruined.

Like I say,might be handy. I personally wouldn't have it. I have 500 other wrenches for them tite space issues.
Here's a couple I have in full sets of metric and standard plus more,not shown.
Rubb.

The only good thing about a Cresent wrench is that it can be adjusted to exactly the right size for the fastener. I was once told that might be the best tool for breaking loose a really tight fastener without damaging the head of the bolt. This was a guy who worked on 20 year old dump trucks though. I wouldn't use anything with a ratchet to break loose a bolt that was that tight.

This is for the guy who is so lazy he refuses to bother with sockets but he still wants the convenience of a ratchet.

The only good thing about a Cresent wrench is that it can be adjusted to exactly the right size for the fastener. I was once told that might be the best tool for breaking loose a really tight fastener without damaging the head of the bolt. This was a guy who worked on 20 year old dump trucks though. I wouldn't use anything with a ratchet to break loose a bolt that was that tight.

This is for the guy who is so lazy he refuses to bother with sockets but he still wants the convenience of a ratchet.
20 year old dump truck with a cresent wrench eh...Okee Dokee. If I was the heavy duty mech on the job,I'd be reaching for the air tools.
A cresent wrech...hehehe sp...can be adjusted to the exact size of a fastener...true dat. Only one prob. Start to apply pressure and the jaws open. Every time I've seen one in use. Maybe not the one used by dumptruck guy thou as his was prolly 4 feet long. :thumbsup:
I did have a little tiny cresent wrench once thou...fit on my key chain.
Roach clip...

Rubb.

NOw find me a left handed metric crescent wrench with a ratchet attachment

:)
Take cresent shown above. Flip it over while transfering it to left hand. For metric applications dress like Japanese Karaoke Elvis mechanic. *see picture*
Rubb.

If I was the heavy duty mech on the job,I'd be reaching for the air tools.
We used those. Believe it or not, sometimes they would beat on the bolt for 3 minutes and still not break it loose. We used torches to heat the metal, we sometimes used penetrating oil. If all else failed, the fastener would get drilled or split. This was some big old ugly stuff. Nuts the size of donuts sometimes. I was mostly a driver for my dad and a loader operator but I got some very good tips off of Walt who was a mechanic and cement truck driver. He was a really smart individual. He dropped out of engineering school but I think he would have been an excellent mechanical engineer. He ended up being a gifted mechanic that's for sure.

A cresent wrech...hehehe sp...can be adjusted to the exact size of a fastener...true dat. Only one prob. Start to apply pressure and the jaws open. Every time I've seen one in use. Maybe not the one used by dumptruck guy thou as his was prolly 4 feet long.

Actually, the biggest one we had was.

Back