SCORPION EXO 700 HELMET REVIEW

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
Well gents...I tossed up a couple pics of a new lid I purchased at "the helmet shop" while attending daytona's biketoberfest buuuut...now that I have had a couple weeks ride testing under my belt my enthusiasm for this $199 lid just keeps growing annnd..I finally have enough miles with it to give a fair and honest review and...it's still awesome to the point I felt it worthy of an independent post/review...

EXO1.jpg

EXO2.jpg

The ultra sexy anime character known as DR. Nikki Sloan is a very real person...and has done a D@mn fine job of engineering, designing and producing this fine lid at an amazing price point especially for the features it offers such as wind tunnel test/developement/design (to eliminate lift), DOT/Snell Approved glass/kevlar composite shell, Kwick-Wick removable (and machine washable) headliner and cheek pads which work in conjuntion with the ventilation system to help you keep a cool head via "the evaporation process" but the really amazing feature is the visor design and construction. And the wind seal is fantastic...I can't make this thing leak or whistle at any speed no matter how I position my head...

EXO3.jpg

First off the visors are d@mn near indestructable with fogproof coating on the inside and what has thus far proven to be a scratch resistant coating on the outside but beyond that?...these Scorpion EXO Visors swap out faster and easier than any other high dollar helmet I've ever owned..especially my old aria's as the technic for swapping out an aria visor is...."there is no technic"...and is on parr with attempting to gut a live cat that gave me the jeebees and a small anxioty attack that I was going to break the delicate internal lockworks everytime I swapped out faceshields..not so with the Scorpion EXO...it truely is a 10 second, easy as pie swap-out...to boot?...the EXO visors are "Optically Correct" (looking through one is amazing as you notice the almost surreal view which is also amplfied by the generous and vastly ample "Periphial View"...but it's the wonderful engineering and design of the locking detent system that keeps the visor solidly locked in place and unlike my old shoei visors?...even after flipping it up and down dozens upon dozens of times...it still holds cracked-open positions at any sane speeds..with large metal inserts in the huge hinge holes and a metal tracking screw installed in large diameter plastic position posts...

EXO4.jpg

Even the interior linings scream quality and pride in craftsmenship....

EXO5.jpg

So...what are the downs?...why does it only cost $199?...well...the only things I can figure is a lack of pro-racer graphics and that the graphics offered up are not hand/machine/robot painted...the graphics are clear coat over sticker...but for a helmet of this comfort and quality with these sort of high end features?...who gives a shid...clear coat over stickers is just fine by me and as a matter of fact?...I find the graphic artwork rather stunning..even if they are stickers under clear coat....and for bonus points?...my visor doesn't collapse and blow down with the wind.

Hope you found this informative if not helpful..and now I have a tough decision to make...sell my like new silver/graphite hayabusa shoei/suzuki RF900 helmet or?...polish it up with one last coat of wax and stick it on the mantle.

Cause it's official...I'm in love with Dr. Nikki Sloan.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Great review! Will probably be buying a new lid for next year and it looks like the Scorpion will be it as I've yet to hear any bad words about it.

Does the 700 have pockets in the liner for headphones?

nice review...but what about the ventilation? Weight? Shell composition? G-Force dispersal?

Just a few ?'s.
cool.gif

I'm not certain how to answer the tech questions but here's the link that may have some answers for you both...I know this...they have a full line of custom liner kits under the "accessories" tab...

http://www.scorpionusa.com/

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Bought my EXO 700 with my Busa back in June by default - it's all they had that would fit at the time. Not knowing anything about it and having no preconceived notions I thought it a really nice lid. It fits like it was made for me, good ventilation, and the face shield works just as you describe.

I've ridden 80-80 mph with it open or cracked and it stays at that position.

I totally agree with your review!
smile.gif

The only problem I've experienced with this helmet is after cramming my sunglasses in for a while, I wound up scratching the coating on the inside of the helmet over the ears. With my bald head I got the sticky stuff on my head which transferred it to everything else that touched it. I put some vinyl tape over the area; the helmet, not the head; and have had no more problems. Like Jinkster, I love the helmet. It's a lot quieter than my HJC was. I'd still wear earplugs for extended interstate rides, but it's not a problem back and forth and riding around town.

Dan

Back