Scamming the scammers. I'm having some fun with them.

i bet Wells Fargo would actually like to see that check...they might be able to go after them and save someone else from getting burned :beerchug:

Have you pulled the IP addresses out of the email headers to see where your scammer is located?

Whenever I get those scammer offers to buy craigslist vehicles, I'm always entertained to trace the mail back to the source. I've had emails from Ngeria, China, etc.

In the email, select "view full headers" or similar option. Look for the IP addresses, go google one of the free IP lookup sites, plug in the IP address, and it'll tell you where in the world it is located.

Cheap entertainment, but not as good as actually getting the check!

Last edited:
i bet Wells Fargo would actually like to see that check...they might be able to go after them and save someone else from getting burned :beerchug:

I'm gonna turn it over to PBSO fraud dept and let them do whatever they want with it. Most likely I'm one of thousands and they just don't have time to worry.

Tape the check to the car and snap a photo. Tell them the wrap wasn't big enough, and send more checks. :laugh:

they did UPS delivery because had they put it in the USPS the inspector general would certainly have already been willing to knock down the door, the hell with knocking on it :laugh: Its not the fanciest of charges and its not the ones people think of but tax fraud and mail fraud have brought down more master mind criminals than murder charges :thumbsup: Racketeering probably has the most bad guy wins though :whistle: Sounds like you should call the FBI more than the bank, this one has interstate banking fraud all over it which makes it a federal crime and has wayyy more teeth :cheerleader:

they did UPS delivery because had they put it in the USPS the inspector general would certainly have already been willing to knock down the door, the hell with knocking on it :laugh: Its not the fanciest of charges and its not the ones people think of but tax fraud and mail fraud have brought down more master mind criminals than murder charges :thumbsup: Racketeering probably has the most bad guy wins though :whistle: Sounds like you should call the FBI more than the bank, this one has interstate banking fraud all over it which makes it a federal crime and has wayyy more teeth :cheerleader:
exactly what i was going to say

Sounds like you should call the FBI more than the bank, this one has interstate banking fraud all over it which makes it a federal crime and has wayyy more teeth :cheerleader:

These scammers live in Africa and other 3rd world countries. What will the FBI do? This type of stuff is now as common as white toilet paper. All you can do is be alert and warn your neighbor.

These scammers live in Africa and other 3rd world countries. What will the FBI do? This type of stuff is now as common as white toilet paper. All you can do is be alert and warn your neighbor.

well I wasnt born at night and it certainly wasnt yesterday and with my keen powers of observation I would note that while perhaps the scammers live in Africa or another 3rd world country, the crime actually occurred in the bustling metropolis of Gilbertsville PA https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&...=us&ei=K3TaT9LoNImr0QXysbyvAg&ved=0CAwQ8gEwAA

Last time I looked, that's pretty much squarely in the great state of Pennsylvania, in the USA and certainly under the jurisdiction of the FBI or any other alphabet group, except the CIA, they dont operate on US soil (if you believe their PR agents) :whistle:

There's a lotta cool stuff bad guys can do but putting a fake check in a real envelope and having a real company deliver it across state lines would lead one to assume there's a human who can be tracked down. My guess is they didnt stop their operation just because one guy didnt follow their plan.

Zuk I spoke to a FHP officer today at work. After he stopped laughing he said the name of sender on envelope is certainly not real and neither is address. If I had sent funds as requested no real person actually shows up to western union to pick it up but in fact it would get bounced thru numerous other financial institutions before going overseas. He says most likely ups delivered several hundred checks today to folks.
Google car wrap scam and maybe as I am you'll be surprised to see how popular this is now.

Got the same ahole, got the same fake check, but the idiot gave me a number to contact them at, 832-534-0413.. if anyone wants to have fun with their google voice.

well I wasnt born at night and it certainly wasnt yesterday

I didn't mean to insult your intelligence.

Like Blanca Busa mentioned, these are sophisticated networks. There's nobody on the other end to chase down. Call any DA office and they'll tell you how many jillion complaints they get every year on this style of scam.

In the early days, the scams were easier to spot... to most people, it was obvious that the email was being typed up in some dark basement in Bangkok. I was impressed that the emails in this case were actually halfway professional. They are getting smarter!

I was impressed that the emails in this case were actually halfway professional. They are getting smarter!

probably due to the education they received at a fine American university :banghead:

google the phone number comes up to a land line in texas. Tomball texas.

Back