Saw a strange bike today...

mikelr

Registered
Leaving work this morning in the parking lot there was a sport bike that I didn't recognize. I thought it was a GSXR from a distance but as I approached I could see the brand on the tank was HYOSUNG!!
I ran into the owner tonight at the local Dunkindognuts, I stopped and asked him about it. He said it was a South Korean brand that is well respected in the far east I guess. It was a 650cc twin (his last bike was an SV650) I thought the bike upon close inspection looked like a cheap knock-off of a main stream Japanese sport bike. Cheapie rear sets and no-name forks/shock. I figured he bought it new for like $3000 but when I asked him how much they go for he told me he just paid $9000!!!!!!:shocked:: He seemed to be pleased with his purchase so I didn't laugh....:laugh: He then went on to say how it's a bit of a pig and how he can't seem to get the front wheel off the ground. I googled it once I got back to work and found the stats... it's got a whole 67 hp and a stump pulling 49 ftlb/tq.
He said he has a 5 year warranty on it and I guess that's why he paid 9k since they MSRP for $6300.

I just don't get it.......:cookoo:

i_2012_GT650R.jpg

:rofl: Wow I seen a guy on a cruiser that I couldnt place the brand. Stopped at a light and asked him and he told me the same thing.............south korea knock off. It looked cheap down to the valve stem caps :laugh: he said that it was all he could afford but after a closer inspection I'd rather see him on a scooter

Here a pic of hyosung new lineup..
Here is some specs of the bikes..
Gt650r: 6299-6699
V twin
Dis.647cc EFI
6 speed, chain driven
Front dual disc rear disc
Wheelbase 56.5in
Seat height 32.7
Fuel 4.5 gal
Weight 474 lb

Gt650. 5599
V twin 647cc efi
6 speed chain driven
Dual front disc rear disc
Wheelbase 56.5
Seat height 32.7
Fuel 4.5 gal
Weight 459 lbs

A co-worker of my brother bought one but he paid 6K for it though. The guy is not happy with his purchase so far, hard to believe anyone who researches the bike would buy it but to each their own.

had a buddy buy a GT650R 05 for 2100 with 136 miles. he loves the crap out of it. it says its certainly not up to Suzuki or another Top 4, but it a great little commuter and would make for a good starter. cheap easy to work on, and has zero reliabiltiy issues

I have a 2006 GT250R. Paid $3k NZD for it, and it's great. A lot cheaper than the leading 250's (suzuki/yamaha/kawasaki/etc) and runs really well for me.
Still a bit too apprehensive about pulling up the wheel, but then again, I thrash it around a lot.

I like it a lot, but 3 guesses what my next bike is going to be :laugh:

they use them for the MSF course here on base, when i took the course those bike were really cheap feeling, but i guess the bike served its purpose for the MSF course, but i would never own one....

When I had my old shop a factory rep came in and tried ot get us to carry them. After much back and forth he left us 4 demos 2 sport bikes and 2 cruisers. I rode all 4 of them for 5 miles each.

Well I would give a pro and con list of them, but it would be one sided since I am use to the big 4 as well as HD and Victory bikes. IMOP they are over priced, poorly built, and just does not give a confident feeling while riding. As for power there is none. If you want the front tire off the ground, buy a lift. But on the good side, all 4 made it back to the shop so I did not have to walk.

Long story short I would not let customers test ride them as I felt the word would get out that we sold junk. I called the rep to come pick them up 2 days later, they sat in my shop for almost 2 months.

My buddy had one of the 250's, he got it cheep as a starter bike and used it for 6 months then upgraded. It was "value engineered" for sure. It served its purpouse so I can't call it junk but it is not a very nice bike when compaired to what we are all use to.

My brother owned a couple in Cyprus and my dad owned one of their 250cc cruisers. Have to look for pic.
But both of those over there were less than half of what a new ninja 250 was so it was an easy decision.
I rode his Gt250r and it was nice. It would do like or so and was stable at that. Decent bikes for the price.
9k for that 650 ain't no deal though.

Reminds me of the BAJAJ PULSAR motorcycles from India. My cousin almost killed himself TWICE on one of these trying to be like Rossi in the mountains in the Dominican republic. I sat on it and let's just say I rather walk............

image-2552716765.jpg

I have a strange feeling that just like the Honda 50 motors, the patent ran out on the Suzuki 90 deg 650 twin motor, and Suzuki decided not to renew it. These seem almost too identical in specs and even looks of the SV650 motor...

IF that's the case, the motor should run forever, even though the rest of the bike would most likely fall apart within a few months of purchase...

If the owners are happy with them, that's ok with me! I looked at the 650 sport model at Daytona one year...not my cup of tea!

Back