salvaged titles?

2006busa

Registered
I've never dep't with them but how do salvaged titles work on motorcycle. Can I buy a bike that has a salvage title and just plated and ride it if its driveable?
Posted via Mobile Device

it depends a lot on the state....there are different types of salvage title. You need to call your local court house and ask. here in iowa you have to prove the vehicle is safe and have it inspected prior to plateing. but like i said there are different types of salvage title and rules vary greatly by state.

I suggest a thorough inspection by a trusted pro. If it was a salvage due to something like being stolen and parts were missing ... I would ride it, but I wouldnt ride a bike that has been down hard enough to destroy it then rebuilt.

I suggest a thorough inspection by a trusted pro. If it was a salvage due to something like being stolen and parts were missing ... I would ride it, but I wouldnt ride a bike that has been down hard enough to destroy it then rebuilt.

I find your statement partially incorrect. I have "rebuilt" 2 bikes, including my current 2006 Hayabusa. A bike that has been down hard enough to destroy it, that really needs to read " A bike that has been down hard enough to destroy the plastics and tank."(or plastics and cluster) That will total a bike out. Plastics. What a joke. Come to think of it, all 3 of the bikes that I have owned were all salvage/rebuilt salvage.

I have never had any weird problems with them. People really seem to shy away from them, but in actuality if say a bike low sides, the flips and high sides and they claim it on insurance, it will be totaled more than likely. Even if it is a low speed accident. I purchased an 04 sv650 that was totaled for plasics, muffler and footpeg. All I did was buff plasics, replace footpeg and re connect cannister. Got it inspected and it was good to go!

In Ohio, the inspection process really just wants proof that you own the parts. Does not necessarily inspect for "safety." You have to provide receipts for the parts you purchased. If from a dealer, you only need the dealer receipt. If from a private party, you need a vin of source vehicle, seller name address phone i believe, and a notarized bill of sale. You can use ebay parts, just better to buy from a ebay seller that has an actual business. Because that way you just have to get a receipt from them as they are a business and not joe schmoe selling parts off his buddys friends bike..

I looked up Indiana laws briefly and it seems very alike Ohio law. Link here Indiana Salvaged Vehicle Regulations and Consumer Protections - DMV Guide

So in short, No you can not buy a salvage bike and ride it how it is. You may be able to somewhat get away with it, by making the bike naked if lower fairings are ruined. Or by repairing cracked/rashed plastics yourself. You should call one of your salvage inspection branches and talk to the trooper and see what he can tell you. It all seems much scarier than it really is. Just make sure you dont start with a bike that is complete trash. There are lots of salvage bikes out there that are fairly easy fixes, with 95% cosmetic damage. As all of mine have been.

I find your statement partially incorrect. I have "rebuilt" 2 bikes, including my current 2006 Hayabusa. A bike that has been down hard enough to destroy it, that really needs to read " A bike that has been down hard enough to destroy the plastics and tank."(or plastics and cluster) That will total a bike out. Plastics. What a joke. Come to think of it, all 3 of the bikes that I have owned were all salvage/rebuilt salvage.

I have never had any weird problems with them. People really seem to shy away from them, but in actuality if say a bike low sides, the flips and high sides and they claim it on insurance, it will be totaled more than likely. Even if it is a low speed accident. I purchased an 04 sv650 that was totaled for plasics, muffler and footpeg. All I did was buff plasics, replace footpeg and re connect cannister. Got it inspected and it was good to go!

In Ohio, the inspection process really just wants proof that you own the parts. Does not necessarily inspect for "safety." You have to provide receipts for the parts you purchased. If from a dealer, you only need the dealer receipt. If from a private party, you need a vin of source vehicle, seller name address phone i believe, and a notarized bill of sale. You can use ebay parts, just better to buy from a ebay seller that has an actual business. Because that way you just have to get a receipt from them as they are a business and not joe schmoe selling parts off his buddys friends bike..

I looked up Indiana laws briefly and it seems very alike Ohio law. Link here Indiana Salvaged Vehicle Regulations and Consumer Protections - DMV Guide

So in short, No you can not buy a salvage bike and ride it how it is. You may be able to somewhat get away with it, by making the bike naked if lower fairings are ruined. Or by repairing cracked/rashed plastics yourself. You should call one of your salvage inspection branches and talk to the trooper and see what he can tell you. It all seems much scarier than it really is. Just make sure you dont start with a bike that is complete trash. There are lots of salvage bikes out there that are fairly easy fixes, with 95% cosmetic damage. As all of mine have been.

I'm just saying for me personally nor would I recommend to anyone a high performance bike thats been rebuilt after anything more than some plastic damage. Frames, forks, even wheels ... can all be checked and even straightened but for high speed runs and the kind of power the Busa has I dont want to be worrying about if I or the rebuilder missed something.

Unfortunately I wrecked 2 of my busa's... they slid for a while then flipped, the flip is where most of the damaged happened. One had frame sliders the other didnt and both ended up with broken clutch covers among other issues. I sold both and started over.

:2cents:

Miscfrom-laptop 042.jpg

Back