salt flat questions

ellis44n

Registered
I am thinking about taking my busa to bonneville this summer and wanted to know about bike set up like making it race legal. I herd that you have to have a full chain gaurd, tires with the tread that is not not 100% ( as in not new ) can you camp on the flats. And anything that a first timer should know. Thanks???

Hey ellis44n! What's up bro? We chatted on the SSA the other day, I saw you and your buddy at Starbucks Sunday! Make sure to set aside June 7 for the ride of a lifetime! I'll PM you with details!

The previous owner of the bike I'm currently working on for my son took it there and it seems everything was safety-wired.

But the best bit of advice I can give you is for afterwards - you better wash, wax & lube that thing like there's no tomorrow!

So many of the bolts were corroded and rusted, salt chunks were even in the airbox! If it were me, I would never take my bike there... I'd rather use an old airfield or something.

See the pic on my sig - That's the bike at the Salt Flats!

Landracing dot com is the site to goto for all the salt dogs. As far as what's needed, you should really become a member of the SCTA and get a rule book. You'll need this to race.

There are products on the market to help combat the salt corrosion. It's basicaly a spray on coating. It helps protect the aluminum and everything else from the salt. You still need to inspect/clean/wash/wax after the event. I would suggest doing it each evening.

Your radiator is going to take the worst abuse so you might as well order a replacement.

Hey Ellis, Welcome to the org! I didn't know there was another Busa guy in Reno!
Anyways, I totally set my bike up for Bonnie until I got to talking to some salt guys about the incredible corrosive properties of salt. I don't want to discourage you but what guys are saying above is so true. Hard to keep it out of bearings, etc.
On another note, read about the Stampede here in Reno and sign up! I hope to talk 2U in the future. Raydog

P1010331.JPG

P1010332.JPG

P1010340.JPG

P1010603.JPG

Back