Rust-oleum satin-excellent rattlecan for things

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
For whatever its worth I figured I would share this.
A couple folks have asked me lately which type of spray paint I used on a few of the parts on my bike to get them to match the powder coat and rest of bike.

The kind I used is the same kind I have used for many yrs as touch up on non critical gun parts and accessories.

Rust-oleum satin Black.
...classic low-sheen finish in the can below.

I have used this for a long time and by applying 4-5 coats with 30 min or so intervals you get a really good durable finish on the item.
If you can let it sit for at least one week or until it does not smell like paint up close it will be nice and hard and last.
The shifter I baked in my oven at 120 degrees for 30 mins just like Maaco.....:laugh:
It was hard in 2-3 days and ready to use.

I painted the shifter and link, the rear master cylinder and the rear shock pivot.
All of which even the shifter have held up to constant use and or exposure to the weather.
The stuff lasts and is the best spray paint I have found to get a hard durable finish on things.

Rustoleum.jpg

Rustoleum2.jpg

Rustoleum3.jpg

Rustoleum4.jpg

Thru trial and error over the yrs I found this to work the best.
I have painted scope mounts, magazines, gun stocks and many other things and like I said if done right it comes out pretty good.
Not powdercoat or duracoat or gunkote but still for spray its tough stuff.

I'm thinkin of doin this to my frame, takin all farings such off, raisin tank up & wrappin it off so obviously no paint on it, seat, etc. and sprayin it flat black. I have a factory black swingarm and once I get some pivot bearings, and some help on installing pivot bearings i'll progress with the frame paint ;-).
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep...I'm one of the folks that asked you about this. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Why didn't you have your shifter & link powder coated when you got that work done?

The powder coaters I talked to were worried about the little plastic rotators in each link melting from the bake ?

I know Traivs at TM says he does them all the time with no probs ?
May send it to him, but its hard to not be able to ride daily here.

Eventually I would just like to get an AFM shifter and brake pedal only.

The powder coaters I talked to were worried about the little plastic rotators in each link melting from the bake ?

I know Traivs at TM says he does them all the time with no probs ?
May send it to him, but its hard to not be able to ride daily here.

Eventually I would just like to get an AFM shifter and brake pedal only.

Hey I was just curious...it looks fine to me the way you have done it. I'd say your good to go! :agree:

I think I've used the same color. I always use semi-gloss (not gloss/not flat). I guess the satin black is also that in between finish.

Last edited:
Yes I'm fine till it comes off which with my exp it never really does.
It kinda just wears down.

If it calls for rain for a week which is often here I may send it to Travis and let him have a go at it.

Yes I'm fine till it comes off which with my exp it never really does.
It kinda just wears down.

If it calls for rain for a week which is often here I may send it to Travis and let him have a go at it.

My stuff will be pulled off this weekend by my Dad for me and sent to Travis. I/he may have a couple questions for you. Sorry if I have to give you a call or two. Is that ok?

I'm thinkin of doin this to my frame, takin all farings such off, raisin tank up & wrappin it off so obviously no paint on it, seat, etc. and sprayin it flat black. I have a factory black swingarm and once I get some pivot bearings, and some help on installing pivot bearings i'll progress with the frame paint ;-).
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd just pull the tank. Two bolts, disconnect the fuel line and electrical connector to the fuel pump...done.

Thanks for sharing this product with all of us. Like you I have a white 'Busa ('06 LE). I am thinking about going with sorta the same look that you have on your 'Busa. :thumbsup:

just dropped of my rearesets and levers to get powdercoated

where can you find this stuff? HD Lowes?

i got some flat black and i think it may be too flat...

Home Depot for sure is where I got it.

But some of the ACE hardware stores here are going out of biz.
They have same stuff and all things in store were 50% off.
May want to check your area to see.
Saw this after I bought that and about 100 bucks worth of other stuff at HD...Doh !

Helps if you paint it in a dust free enviroment and then set it out in the sun.
It wil help it lay on there nice and flat.
I'm no pro , just gone thru a few cans of this stuff is all.

I still have an H&K clip on scope mount I painted more than 15yrs ago.
It looks like it was done professionally and yesterday. Granted its been in a safe but it has also been soaked with Hoppes cleaner, WD40 and others. Has not softened or lifted.

Cool post, I've been lookin around for a good paint to do my front pegs. T&M just did my passenger pegs, but I'm gonna buy adjustable rearsets once I have the cash. I wanna paint the stockers to match in the meantime. Need a good 60 degree day here first though. I'll be trying that brand, thanks.

I may be doin my frame aswell. My bike was born a Black/grey 06, it now has LE fairings and a black swingarm, the silver frame just doesent match now. Kinda scarred tho. Nothing looks worse than a kinda paint job on anything

cool, went and got some.

painted the brake and clutch levers till i can afford som FP tactical one's. we'll see how well it sticks.

debating on painting that huge frame bolt, i mean i'm never gonna touch it, and i'm not sure i really like those frame caps you buy,

Racer-X the longer you can leave it set the longer it will last.

Works very good for small things but I'm not sure about a frame or anything larger ?

Back