Rush hour traffic

jwcfbd

Administrator
Donating Member
Registered
So here I am just buzzing along with traffic when all of a sudden it comes to a quick stop.  I see the Tahoe in from of me stopping and I stopped as well.  I check my rearview and here comes a full size Chevy truck.  I had no where go to but try to keep moving some what.  It looks like he's going to stop when BAM there it is.  We get out of our trucks and then I saw a little Honda looking thing with his hood up to his window.  The guy in the truck behind me was able to stop just short of hitting me when he got rear ended forcing him into me.   :cussing:   At least I didn't hit anyone.  But now my truck has a folded rear bumper and a bent frame.  It bent at the crumple zones like it should but now they are going to have to cut it out and weld in a new part which is going to kill my resale.  The good part (if there is one) is that there is no body damage except for a scuff on the rear hatch and that can be buffed out easly.     Sorry for the rant but now I do feel a little better.

<!--EDIT|jwcfbd
Reason for Edit: None given...|1068511631 -->

Damn good thing you were cagebound today Bro... Last time I got tagged while stationary it was a Honda CRX commiting Suicide on the drivers side door of my 75' Cadillac Coupe De' Ville...
Long story but there was nothing left of the CRX... I was able to roll up my drivers window still...

Good to be in a cage sometimes...

Glad u wasnt hurt... hey lets see more pics from around the house...  :) Oh and just a thought, be careful about gettin out of the car on the freeway as more loose nuts may plow into ya. :eek:

<!--EDIT|Hawaiibusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1068525392 -->

Glad you're OK!

My buddy Rich just gor rear ended on his Wing Saturday before last. He's OK but the Wing is totaled!

I think we can make that bumper and tow thangy look normal..... bring it over and I'll get the floor jack out.

A counterpoint if you'll allow. If ya'd been on yer Busa you could have moved outa
the way. (by going up one side or the other of the SUV in front of you).

Well I got my truck to the shop yesterday to get an idea of how much damage was done. As of right now it starts at $5800. They are no longer allowed to fix bent frames so beleave or not they are going to replace the whole thing. The only thing that sucks is that it could take them about three weeks to do the job. One the other hand one good thing is that I will get a check for the amount of loss of vehicle value which I guess to be any where from $6000-$8000. We'll see what happens.

Too bad about the truck JW, I'm glad you're ok.

Yet another case for being able to lane split. :)

Sorry about the accident...it's best to be in a BIG SUV if someone's going to hit you from behind though! The Busa certainly would not have faired as well...

Good luck getting everything fixed QUICKLY! ;)

Well I got my truck to the shop yesterday to get an idea of how much damage was done.  As of right now it starts at $5800.  They are no longer allowed to fix bent frames so beleave or not they are going to replace the whole thing.  The only thing that sucks is that it could take them about three weeks to do the job.  One the other hand one good thing is that I will get a check for the amount of loss of vehicle value which I guess to be any where from $6000-$8000.  We'll see what happens.
Welcome to automotive hell if your shop isn't absolutely top notch. May never be right again, dude. Don't accept it or sign shiot until you have checked it out HARD! Swapping the body to another frame can open up MANY different cans o' worms. I'm surprised they didn't total it if it needs a new frame...

Also, $5800 sounds mighty low for that kind of job. Do this... Mark the old frame elsewhere, near the front. Hell, mark it with a wax pencil, a spot of white paint or whatever. Just something you can identify. After the job is done, look for your mark. LOTS of body shops will get the $ for replacing frames and then try to straighten out the old one. Not acceptable if the crumple zones were crunched!

Trust me. Coming from the auto body industry I have seen a LOT of jack leg shops do a LOT of jacked up things to folks in this type situation. Just don't want to see you get torn a new 'un, dude. ;)

Well I got my truck to the shop yesterday to get an idea of how much damage was done.  As of right now it starts at $5800.  They are no longer allowed to fix bent frames so beleave or not they are going to replace the whole thing.  The only thing that sucks is that it could take them about three weeks to do the job.  One the other hand one good thing is that I will get a check for the amount of loss of vehicle value which I guess to be any where from $6000-$8000.  We'll see what happens.
Welcome to automotive hell if your shop isn't absolutely top notch. May never be right again, dude. Don't accept it or sign shiot until you have checked it out HARD! Swapping the body to another frame can open up MANY different cans o' worms. I'm surprised they didn't total it if it needs a new frame...

Also, $5800 sounds mighty low for that kind of job. Do this... Mark the old frame elsewhere, near the front. Hell, mark it with a wax pencil, a spot of white paint or whatever. Just something you can identify. After the job is done, look for your mark. LOTS of body shops will get the $ for replacing frames and then try to straighten out the old one. Not acceptable if the crumple zones were crunched!

Trust me. Coming from the auto body industry I have seen a LOT of jack leg shops do a LOT of jacked up things to folks in this type situation. Just don't want to see you get torn a new 'un, dude. ;)
Thanks for the heads up. I brought it back to the Chevy dealer that sold it to me in the first place. I have dealt with this shop once before and had good results how ever it was only to have a headliner replaced in my old truck. When they told me the total I was shocked. Like you said only $5800? The frame is only $2800 and they have to transfer every thing from my truck over to it. You know I will be going over it with a fine tooth comb.

Kinda strange but like ya said they dont allow for straightening the frame any more. I grew up in a auto body shop and dad used to use the frame puller all the time. Seems like in the right hands a frame could be straightened but new times & tech... Maybe some new busa goodies from the xtra $ comin yo way? :super: :D :D

After three and a half weeks
mad.gif
I finally got my truck back this morning. The insurance company is telling me that my truck was done yesterday and that I have to pay for the extra day for the rental. I tell them I was at work and all they could say was that I picked the dealership that repaired my truck and the extra fee is my problem.
mad.gif
That ain't going to happen.
biggrin.gif
I hate insurance companies. Atleast I got my truck back and so far everything sounds and looks great. I have been driving a little Nisson Sentra since my truck went into the shop and now I feel like I'm driving a Monster Truck.
laugh.gif
Monday I should know how much I will get for diminished value due to the fact that there was a total of $8133.89 damage done. We'll see what they do and it better be good.

mad.gif

After three and a half weeks
mad.gif
I finally got my truck back this morning.  The insurance company is telling me that my truck was done yesterday and that I have to pay for the extra day for the rental.  I tell them I was at work and all they could say was that I picked the dealership that repaired my truck and the extra fee is my problem.
mad.gif
 That ain't going to happen.
biggrin.gif
 I hate insurance companies.  Atleast I got my truck back and so far everything sounds and looks great.  I have been driving a little Nisson Sentra since my truck went into the shop and now I feel like I'm driving a Monster Truck.
laugh.gif
 Monday I should know how much I will get for diminished value due to the fact that there was a total of $8133.89 damage done.  We'll see what they do and it better be good.
Glad you got everything back. I am sure that they will not charge you for the extra day with a little coaxing..

mad.gif

Tell the insurance company that if it weren't for their client, you wouldn't even be in a rental car. I went through that when I was hit and lost my truck for three weeks. Just keep biotching and they'll let it go.

You could always threaten to sue for punitive damages if they persist. They usually shut up then.

Glad you're back in your own ride.
beerchug.gif

Hey good to see you got your truck back. Don't give in on the rental car BS.

Back