Running on 3 pots problem

Bofh_uk

Registered
Someone please give me a clue before I attack my Busa with a bat!!

This problem started months ago after I used a power washer. It goes down to three pots with the fourth kicking in and out at random. Originally it ran on three pots up to 3000 rpm then the fourth kicked back in above 3k.

After a while it would sort itself out, maybe 20miles or so. I've had the seat and tank up trying to find any signs of water ingress but can't see sod all.

The problem has now got worse and if I leave it out in the rain I sometimes get the same problem.

So just before Christmas it did it again and it's been in the garage for 3 weeks now, I took it out for a spin this morning and after about 2 miles it's started again!!!!!!

I assume it's an HT lead that's getting wet or broken down, can anyone give me a clue where to start looking before my head explodes.... Please.

Cheers

Bofh

Last edited:
Just to add that before the problem would stop above 3k revs but now when it happens it's happening right up the rev range. As its not always happening from a cold start I can't find what cylinder is not firing as they are all hot by the time I get home.

I love my Busa but right now it's trying to kill me :moon:

Check your coils and plug wires. Something is grounding out causing the coil not to fire or spark to not get to the plug. Pull the plugs and you should be able to tell which one is not firing and then work your way back. The one that is not firing should be fouled or close to fouled because it is getting all that fuel and no fire.
Never ever use a power washer on your engine bro.

Check your coils and plug wires. Something is grounding out causing the coil not to fire or spark to not get to the plug. Pull the plugs and you should be able to tell which one is not firing and then work your way back. The one that is not firing should be fouled or close to fouled because it is getting all that fuel and no fire.
Never ever use a power washer on your engine bro.

I've never used it directly on the engine, its as if the water has run down somewhere, like I say it's done it when it's been raining a few times. I just can't see where it's getting in.

But your right It has to be a coil/lead problem in my book. I've never had it down to the plugs before, it all looked a little hidden away, I take it the air box has to come off and they are hidden under there.

pull the coil packs / plug leads you may have water run down the plug hole , see it alot on motor cars , blow out with compressed air before thinking about removing plug

Well I got as far as looking at the tops of the ignition packs and gave up trying to remove the air box.

I'm not used to working on this sort of bike so I think I'm going to hand it over to someone else to fix, if I can find someone trustworthy in my area. It's a shame my local shops are crap.

Thanks for the advice chaps.

The airbox removes fairly easy and goes back on just as easy. A few vacuum lines, a couple of connectors from memory. Two screws, one on clutch side the other on brake side will loosen the clamps that secure the boots to the throttle bodies. The water should have dried out by now from engine heat, but any deposits from that water or rust can give you a path to ground. Good luck with it.

The airbox removes fairly easy and goes back on just as easy. A few vacuum lines, a couple of connectors from memory. Two screws, one on clutch side the other on brake side will loosen the clamps that secure the boots to the throttle bodies. The water should have dried out by now from engine heat, but any deposits from that water or rust can give you a path to ground. Good luck with it.

Yes I had a good look round and losend the two screews and removed all the pipes and leads, she didn't want to budge.

The good news is that she's finally dried out, I took her for a blast and she's running fine. Hopefully I'll get someone to strip her down and hunt for the problem soon.

Cheers for the help guys.

the very reason they made wd40:poke:

Yep I think I'll be whacking a can in there somewhere. Good news is I've got an invite to a local bike club full of Busa owners so they are going to give me crash course in stripping her down.

We should find the wet spot and get her happy again. And it should be a nice day out, been about 20 years since I went to a proper club house :laugh:

Yes I had a good look round and losend the two screews and removed all the pipes and leads, she didn't want to budge.

The good news is that she's finally dried out, I took her for a blast and she's running fine. Hopefully I'll get someone to strip her down and hunt for the problem soon.

Cheers for the help guys.

Depending on the age of the bike, the boots can be sticky. You just have to wiggle them back and forth while pulling. Good luck with it.

Yep I think I'll be whacking a can in there somewhere. Good news is I've got an invite to a local bike club full of Busa owners so they are going to give me crash course in stripping her down.

We should find the wet spot and get her happy again. And it should be a nice day out, been about 20 years since I went to a proper club house :laugh:

Have fun :thumbsup:

Hi guys, hopefully I've found the problem. I got the hump with it the other week and booked it into the bike shop, then before I took it in I popped in for a chat regarding the indicator problems I had.

Their attitude sucked, the idiot behind the counter keept babling on about how many hours it would take them to diagnose the fault at £65 per hour..... "oh we'll have to strip the alarm sir" why I said.... "well it's bound to be that mate and after 10 years I'm suprised it's still working"

Cue one upset face and a suitable amount of sarcasim, I left the shop and later cancelled the booking to sort out the electrical problems.

Anyhow that left me stood in my garage staring at a sick Busa and no one to make it happy again. So I tore it all apart and discoverd two rusty plugs, 1&4 were well rusty.

I suspect that the drain holes in the bottom of the spark plug holes are blocked and that any water that managed to trickle down from the top couldn't get out. I blasted the holes with an air line and the plugs in place to try and clear the holes but I suspect I'll have to apraoch those holes from the front to be certain they are clear. (if anyone knows where those holes come out it would help lol)

I've replaced them with new Iridium plugs and used half a can of PTFE water proofing spray on the cam cover and just about everything else.

I washed her down as normal and I've not yet had a repeat of the problem, It's pooring with rain this week so it will get a good test. I've been told by a friend that this is a common problem with some cars, water gets down the plug hole and rusts the plug in about a week.

Then when it's running the spark arks rather than going through the plug, I asked why the problem went away over 3k revs and was told that as the charge gets high as the revs climb the spark will go to the plug most of the time. This explains the strange running. I was also advised to wrap PTFE plumers tape round the bottom of the coil packs/plastic pipe as it goes through the cam cover.

Hope this helps you guys if you have any similar problems.

You'll know if it's not worked as you'll be able to hear me screem clear accross the pond lol.

I am glad to hear you have this sorted out. Do you always pressure wash it?

I've not used the pressure washer since the first time I did it. I use the hose on the wheels and hand wash the rest.

Well I'm happy to confirm that it was raining like hell on my ride to work, rained all day and the Busa sat out in it. Rode home happy as you like with no problems at all.

Cured!!!

The other interesting development that's really made my day is the Iridium plugs. They seem to have totally cured the crap running under 3k revs, most Busa riders I know suffer with poor running at very low speeds i.e. under 50mph and in traffic.

Well they have sorted my Busa right out, I was poodling through the traffic this morning in third gear at 15-30mph and she ran smooth as silk, like a totally diferent beast!

Happy days!

Back