Run to the the Border ... w/ pics

i am starting to believe some of you will complain about any laws or regulations....

its not hard to understand why DMV/Ca gov. requires 7500 mile to register a vehicle..

Nice pics! Thanks for sharing. I wont even begin to try & understand WHY you have to have 7500 miles before you can register it in Cali?? :cookoo:
It's the "Left Coast" why ask why...LOL it has to do with smog laws and protecting dealers...not to mention paying sales tax.

Nice pics. But y the hell do u gotta have 7500 on it b4 u can title it in Cal? That don't make any sense.
Prevents me from going to Mexico or AZ to buy a bike for less.

Is posting your circumvention of California Laws wise? Fraud??
Wise? Maybe not, but I did the same thing, and have lived to tell about it.

Also from the DMV website.

If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law. DMV cannot accept an application to register the vehicle, and you cannot register or operate the vehicle in California.

Misrepresenting the mileage/falsifying documents is fraud, also illegal.
How would you feel if you were forced to move to CA with a motorcycle that had less then 7,500 miles? What would you do? Sell it for a loss, and buy something in CA just to be a "Legal Eagle"? The Military made me move to CA. When I got here my bike had 1,148 miles on it. It was an '03. I could park it until it was 5 years old or I could ride it until it had 7,500 miles. Which would you do?

I'll tell you and anyone else that cares to read this post that I rode my bike with my Vermont tags all around CA until I got the mileage I needed to get past the DMV and their rules.

Walk a mile in my riding boots, being forced to move every three years while protecting your right to free speech, granting you the ability to post whatever you want, all the while being raked over the coals financially. Sir, with all due respect pull your head out of the sand!

The other option is to find someone with a head unit that has enough miles and make the swap for a day or two. :whistle:

-Gilman

Last edited:
Chance It....

I forgot to add if your close on miles you can switch your ODO over from Miles to KM's and get a bigger number...as long as your VIN's on the bike match up they won't be looking that closely at the ODO anyways.

-Gilman

It's the "Left Coast" why ask why...LOL it has to do with smog laws and protecting dealers...not to mention paying sales tax.

Prevents me from going to Mexico or AZ to buy a bike for less.

Wise? Maybe not, but I did the same thing, and have lived to tell about it.

How would you feel if you were forced to move to CA with a motorcycle that had less then 7,500 miles? What would you do? Sell it for a loss, and buy something in CA just to be a "Legal Eagle"? The Military made me move to CA. When I got here my bike had 1,148 miles on it. It was an '03. I could park it until it was 5 years old or I could ride it until it had 7,500 miles. Which would you do?

I'll tell you and anyone else that cares to read this post that I rode my bike with my Vermont tags all around CA until I got the mileage I needed to get past the DMV and their rules.

Walk a mile in my riding boots, being forced to move every three years while protecting your right to free speech, granting you the ability to post whatever you want, all the while being raked over the coals financially. Sir, with all due respect pull your head out of the sand!

The other option is to find someone with a head unit that has enough miles and make the swap for a day or two. :whistle:

-Gilman

You Sir need to go back and reread the thread or work on you reading comprehension. Maybe that's why you missed the exceptions to the out of state vehicle registration.

Exceptions
As usual, there are a few exceptions included in the law. As a California resident or business you may be able to register a 49-State vehicle if you:

Obtained it as part of a divorce or inheritance settlement.
Purchased it to replace a vehicle stolen while you were using it out of state.
Purchased it to replace a vehicle which was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state.
Were on active military duty outside California, and you registered the vehicle in the state of your last military service.

You Sir need to go back and reread the thread or work on you reading comprehension. Maybe that's why you missed the exceptions to the out of state vehicle registration.

Exceptions
As usual, there are a few exceptions included in the law. As a California resident or business you may be able to register a 49-State vehicle if you:

Obtained it as part of a divorce or inheritance settlement.
Purchased it to replace a vehicle stolen while you were using it out of state.
Purchased it to replace a vehicle which was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state.
Were on active military duty outside California, and you registered the vehicle in the state of your last military service.

I'll tell you why I missed the exceptions. You didn't post them in your origional post. No matter as none of them applied to me.

I moved from Japan to CA. and had the motorcycle shipped from Vermont to CA.

Having the Vermont title signed over to me by the original owner, a copy of my orders, and valid Armed Forces ID card to go along with my CA M1 drives license in hand and all other supporting doc's at the DMV was not good enough.

The motorcycles was registered to my sister in Vermont. It was her husbands motorcycle. I was a gift to me after he was killed in action while serving in Iraq. All of this and proof that I was Active Duty was still not good enough for the DMV. I went to great lengths with the folks at DMV they would not bend. All I was trying to do was re-title and register it in my name in CA.

They offered me two options. A written pass from the DMV of CA to drive the motorcycle out of the State or to load it in a truck/trailer and remove it from the State. I told them I'd put in the back of my truck. So now on top of committing fraud I'm a liar.

The law has little to do with the protecting the air we breath and everything to do with protecting/generating $$ for the State of CA and the dealerships here.

Motorcycles are the most eco friendly option in mass production available to the masses. In CA ALL motorcycles are smog check exempt. So what is the difference between a CA produced bike and a "49 State" bike? Not much and a sticker that says it's CA emissions ready.

I guess I should retract my last statement about you taking you head out of the sand. I would prefer you put your head back in the sand so you won't be bothered by liars and cheats like me with my black heart darker then the blackest set of leathers, being so low down and unlawful while I protect the world you look at through rose colored glasses.

-Gilman

Thanks guys, no more drama plz.

Just enjoy the pics... I enjoyed the ride. Sorry I didnt take more.

Back