Run to the the Border ... w/ pics

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
California has a ton of screwball laws as you may know... :rulez: I need 7500 miles on the 08 Busie before I can register it because it has an Oregon Title.

When I got the bike in Sept it had 4400 miles on the clock, last week I rode to the Redwoods and added 800+ Today was a run to the Oregon Border 200+ miles north. When I got home I had rung up a total of 550+. I only need about another 750 miles and it will be all good. :thumbsup:

I normally head for the back roads and byways but today I rode the I-5 Interstate just to rack up the numbers at a consant 75+ mph.

The weather has been perfect lately, in the 70's but that will change this wknd so I had a great full day of riding before the storm... too bad it gets dark here in Northern Calif at 5:30 pm now. I dont mind the temperature as much as I hate the short days here in the winter.

Here is a few shots right off the freeway, I didnt have time to take my usual 100+ :)

btw that is Mt Shasta in Nor Cal

Nov 09 006b.JPG

Nov 09 008b.JPG

Nov 09 013b.JPG

Nov 09 010b.JPG

Nice pics! Thanks for sharing. I wont even begin to try & understand WHY you have to have 7500 miles before you can register it in Cali?? :cookoo:

Nice pics. But y the hell do u gotta have 7500 on it b4 u can title it in Cal? That don't make any sense.

It is the Kalifornia smog laws. They will not allow non-Kalifornia bikes to be registered. I believe it is to keep us from buying bikes cheaper elswhere. If you buy a car out of state (non-Ca. smog) you have to have 7,500 miles on it, PLUS pay an extra $300.00 fee for a non-compliant vehicle.........

This is KaliMexiFornia.......ALL ABOUT THE MONEY.

It is the Kalifornia smog laws. They will not allow non-Kalifornia bikes to be registered. I believe it is to keep us from buying bikes cheaper elswhere. If you buy a car out of state (non-Ca. smog) you have to have 7,500 miles on it, PLUS pay an extra $300.00 fee for a non-compliant vehicle.........

This is KaliMexiFornia.......ALL ABOUT THE MONEY.

Well now it makes sense! I shoulda known that was the issue.

Is posting your circumvention of California Laws wise? Fraud??

I can only imagine how many people are doing the same thing. As far as most folks have to commute in Cali, I'm sure it doesn't take anyone very long to hit the 7500 mark, then take the trip to DMV :laugh:

Well now it makes sense! I shoulda known that was the issue.

I can only imagine how many people are doing the same thing. As far as most folks have to commute in Cali, I'm sure it doesn't take anyone very long to hit the 7500 mark, then take the trip to DMV :laugh:

Matters not to me, but it may to someone else. I would likely do the same, wouldn't post it for all to see. CYA It's illegal, Why hang it out is all I'm saying. Who knows who is reading this stuff or passing it along to someone else.

Rules is rules and they are meant to be broken, modified or worked around. Being forced to ride you bike to awesome locations, beautiful scenery and wonderful twisties in California...I could think of a few worse punishments...none the less, it will be good when you are legal.

Thanks for the pics!

I called American Suzuki in So Cal to see if I was missing the Calif Smog sticker ... No it doesnt have one... and the Rep told me " Go ride it til you get the miles ... "

Only thing illegal about it is you are suppose to register it within 20 days of purchase. Once there are documented 7500 miles it should be fine.

Here is the DMV info straight from their web site :

How To Register An Out-of-State Vehicle
(Nonresident Vehicle)
Definition of a nonresident vehicle
A nonresident vehicle was last registered outside the state of California. Anyone who brings a vehicle into California, or purchases a nonresident vehicle while in California, should be aware of the registration requirements.

NOTE: California law prohibits residents or businesses from importing and/or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase unless it meets or is exempt from California Emission standards. If you acquire a 49-State vehicle (manufactured for all states except California) from another state or country, you may not be able to register your vehicle in California.

I called American Suzuki in So Cal to see if I was missing the Calif Smog sticker ... No it doesnt have one... and the Rep told me " Go ride it til you get the miles ... "

Only thing illegal about it is you are suppose to register it within 20 days of purchase. Once there are documented 7500 miles it should be fine.

Here is the DMV info straight from their web site :

How To Register An Out-of-State Vehicle
(Nonresident Vehicle)
Definition of a nonresident vehicle
A nonresident vehicle was last registered outside the state of California. Anyone who brings a vehicle into California, or purchases a nonresident vehicle while in California, should be aware of the registration requirements.

NOTE: California law prohibits residents or businesses from importing and/or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase unless it meets or is exempt from California Emission standards. If you acquire a 49-State vehicle (manufactured for all states except California) from another state or country, you may not be able to register your vehicle in California.

Also from the DMV website.

If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law. DMV cannot accept an application to register the vehicle, and you cannot register or operate the vehicle in California.

Misrepresenting the mileage/falsifying documents is fraud, also illegal.

Heay Kent..............All you had to do was CALL ME and we could have worked something out :whistle:

Nice pictures. Just put it on a racing stand and let it idle in 6th gear for a few hours a day. Easier on tires, and rolls the speed sensor with the output shaft of the transmission. Heck, just turn the idle adjuster up to 1300 or 1400 RPMs and it will get there faster.

Back