Rules for riding - simple, really

HT_USMC

Registered
After seeing some of the posts over the last few weeks, I'm shocked to see how easily some of us slip into the "squid" lifestyle. You know, pulling up on a couple guys riding a little crazy and hanging with them. Then you're shocked when one of them goes down or they tick some cager off and the cager strikes back. So I thought I'd share what I feel is good advice.

I have some rules that I adhere to without hesitation. My friends and I know each others "rules" and we respect them. Particularly the drinking rules. Thankfully, we've all agreed these are pretty solid and they work!

1. Never ride more than 10mph over the posted speed limit with people I don't know. Even if the guy is a buddy of a buddy and the most experienced rider to ever grace the planet, he's an unknown quantity... he can't be trusted, yet.

2a. Never let someone I don't know nor someone I don't trust lane share.
2b. Never attempt to lane share with someone else unless they pass rule 2a and have either waved me up or discussed doing so previously.

3. Never speed (more than 10mph over) into a corner where there is traffic, where there is a cross street, or when lane sharing.

4. Always drive defensively and think at least a few seconds ahead whenever possible.

5a. If we grab a drink at a bar, wait for EVERYONE to sober up before getting on the bike(s).
5b. If we're waiting on people to sober up NEVER RUSH them. Have a coke and a smile... more chips & salsa... anything but don't be pushy.
5c. Never lane share after leaving the bar... because you just never know who overstated their sobriety or if the booze is finally hitting someone.

6. If you feel like you have to cut traffic and go 900mph, wait for EVERYONE to catch up. This way there is no pressure on anyone to acheive high speed to catch up and we are certain we didn't lose a rider. Not to mention the cager(s) you just pissed off may be holding the others back.

7. If you have blinkers, use them. I want to know you're turning/exiting LONG BEFORE you turn or exit. When lane sharing, kicking a foot is fine. Doing both is best.

8. If you're going to pull a wheelie (you probably won't get to many calls to go on rides with us) do not start or end the thing right next to me. Get out front, in a different lane, and get the nose up if you must.

9. If one of us gets pulled over, we all get pulled over. If the LEO wants to write 10 tickets, let's let him do just that. Everyone gets to go home that night because no one ran and died or got thrown in jail. P.S. I'm not bailing you out and your funeral is questionable.

So it's not a "mind over matter" sort of thing... it's more of a "mind on what matters" sort of thing. In our group, if you want to be called when we ride, you don't have to be a saint but be concious of your fellow riders. We have about 10 regulars that ride this way and it makes life so much easier when you know the guy behind/beside/in-front of you isn't an @$$clown.

Add your own "rules"... I'm interested to see what others have to add due to their ownn experience(s).

<!--EDIT|HT_USMC
Reason for Edit: "Needed a little intro"|1136823980 -->

10. Communication in a group is a must. We always go over hand, arm and leg signals before we ride for a reason USE them. I sure would like to know that there is something in the road ahead of me, wouldn't you?

I'd add gear, some of local clubs here in LA won't let someone who doesn't at LEAST have full helmet, jacket, and gloves ride with them.  If they're missing boots and pants, they get razed until they buy some.

I remember when I frist moved to SoCal, I went on a ride with Big O and another guy.  That guy wouldn't start the ride until we went to his house and put me in a one piece suit.  Experienced guys can pass a lot of good info to newbies if they want to.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136825950 -->

+1 except for the drinking part. Don't get me wrong, Moondog dosen't drink anymore since they invented the funnel. It's just that for me, liquid courage and busa riding don't mix well. After the ride, it's on! I am a solo rider most of the time because of the problems listed above. I was part of a 22 bike formation from Fayetteville to Branson, Mo for last year's Night of Fire & Thunder, it was a mess. Testosterone fueled by alcohol coupled with varying levels of skill in a tight pack spell disaster. The last thing I need is some snot-nosed kid on a piped 600 Honda trying to race me....

Great points! I stay away from groups I don't know and even those I do know always have to push the limits now and then.

If I am with a group and they stop and have a couple of 'drinks', I usually stay away from them as a group ride. I agree with moondog, alcohol is fine after the ride is done. There is no need for it during the ride. I enjoy my bike and my life enough without any artificial stimulant.

Definite must for all group rides. I too stay away from the unknown and only rode with people I knew on and off the bike.

Great points from everyone. Never can be said too much because we all tend to get lazy and let the rules go lax expecially when we have a bike as temptingly powerful as the almighty BUSA.

I would add that using only one earpiece when listening to music is a good idea so you can hear emergency vehicles. Just my .02 worth.

Here's one-
If your new to a group of riders and you get uncomfortable with there riding style or ability, smile thank them fo rhte ride and leave.
I rode with a group of 20-30 down here one day, and they all assured me before the ride that they all followed general curtosy and speed rules. 150 mph was the average of the group, they left me way behind, they went almost 30 miles in 18 minutes. Beyond the fact that when they all started they all wanted to jokey for position, it was like a superbike race on a back road. It was the scariest thing I ever experinced. 20 crap munchers flying by me doing wheelies right next to me cut me off, all to try to prove something.
I refuse to ride with any of them after that. I made it to the gas station asked where they were going next. They said left, I went right and had one of the best riding days I've had since moving here. so take all this for what it's worth.

good advice, i always stayed behind or in front a group of rider i do not know. yesterday it saved my life by staying behind a guy on cbr 1000.

11- ride within your limits.

good advice, i always stayed behind or in front a group of rider i do not know. yesterday it saved my life by staying behind a guy on cbr 1000.

11- ride within your limits.
#11 is probably the best overarching rule of all!

Personally, I never get on two wheels if I've had anything alcoholic to drink.
cool.gif

I mainly ride solo and only occasionally with small groups of two or three with people I know and trust. I save the fun time twisty stuff for when I'm alone and not tempted by the peer pressure almost always found in group rides.
Needless to say, always look behind you before changing lanes or even more importantly, before you move over to one side or the other within the same lane! On more than one occasion I have been cruising along, having looked behind me frequently thinking I was all alone when WHAMO! "Holy shid!" Some A'hole show off hotshot will blow past me in my same lane, leaving me wondering where in the heII did he come from?? Common sense with this sport prevails, be overly alert to what's going on in ALL directions at ALL times!

I like to goof around alittle when riding, it breaks up a mind numbing cruise.  Hell, your on a sportbike! Have alittle fun. I don't mean straight up squid, maybe a wheelie or two or spinning up the rear tire. You know, getn alittle squirrely. There's no harm in that. Just don't do it all the time.

If a person NEVER has alittle fun then you need to be apart of a H.O.G. chapter and have tassles on your bike. I suggest that this type of person NEVER visit Deal's Gap or their head will explode.

If you don't like someone in your group doing something or acting a certain way, say something or ask themto leave. To many rules and you have a Macy's parade group ride.(Float wave!)

I myself go by the vibe feel when judging a person to ride with. You'll know when you have found a capatible person to add to the pack, it'll click. They'll blend in, unless you have a newbie and then it's schooling time. Every group is alittle different.

Either way, have a good ride.

<!--EDIT|GMbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136847015 -->

#11 . All the way . Ride within 90% of your skills. 10% goes to the unknow outhere.
Don't fall under peer pressure to catch up. Remember:
#12 You have everything to loose but nothing to gain

I like to goof around alittle when riding, it breaks up a mind numbing cruise. Hell, your on a sportbike! Have alittle fun. I don't mean straight up squid, maybe a wheelie or two or spinning up the rear tire. You know, getn alittle squirrely. There's no harm in that. Just don't do it all the time.

If a person NEVER has alittle fun then you need to be apart of a H.O.G. chapter and have tassles on your bike. I suggest that this type of person NEVER visit Deal's Gap or their head will explode.

If you don't like someone in your group doing something or acting a certain way, say something or ask themto leave. To many rules and you have a Macy's parade group ride.(Float wave!)

I myself go by the vibe feel when judging a person to ride with. You'll know when you have found a capatible person to add to the pack, it'll click. They'll blend in, unless you have a newbie and then it's schooling time. Every group is alittle different.

Either way, have a good ride.
I agree, we ride a fast two wheeled beast, we have to have a bit of fun from time to time. Too many rules may be a parade, sure. Not having enough rules make it seem like a game of chicken best played by those with spiffy helmets in the back of the short bus.

Because of the short list of "rules" we rarely have anyone drift too far back when the road opens up and we want to rip it. The rules give us a sense of trust and respect. We all know our individual risks (tickets, crashes, jail, etc) but we are 110% sure we're not doing anything so silly that we're going to take out another rider.

Anything done non-solo that's really over the top (side-by-side dragging down a back area highway until someone calls chicken and lets off for example) I save for a couple close friends, one at a time. No group riding lunacy.

It's all fun & games until someone loses a bike. We're just trying to maximize the fun & games and minimize the bike losing.

smile.gif

+1 on the riding within our means
+1 on the hand signals and other communication (we use these all the time but I didn't list it)

Great rules.

I stopped riding in big groups after a large group ride where 2 young men on gixxer 600s kept passing me on the straights, just to hold me up on the corners. When I would get in front of them at the next stop, they would pass me and then slow me up on the straights again.

After that, I said forget it, I don't have to put up with anyone's stupidity again.

Me and GJoker and a few friends may head out once in a while, but I'm totally done with big rides... (well except for the Busa Bash
blush.gif
)

When my buddies and I were teaching my best friend how to ride he almost killed all of us. Four of us were riding and my friend tried to ride way over his head and pulled out to pass us on a two lane road. His bike was only an 800cc Cruiser and there was a Chevy Silverado coming the opposite direction, his bike did not have enough power pass us quickly and get back over. So, we had to jam the breaks so he could get over and he ended up just missing the trucks mirror by inches.

We pulled over and gave him hell for being so stupid and putting all of us at risk. Go figure, he is still riding over his head. Bad part is that now he has a girlfriend and come summer time she will be riding with him...

I am quite worried about it.

ride within your limit, and RIDE INVISIBLE [assume people DONT see you].

Great rules....

I think it would be nice to have someone call 911 when crashed and bleading bad...
I never pull wheelie alone, I never go close to my limits when nobody avaiable to call for help when I`m laying in the bushes smashed and almost dead....

Back