rubber smell?

nurse_bobcat

Registered
So i noticed last night when i stopped, there was some light smoke/haze and a burning rubber smell coming from the front of the bike...I saw it because of the front headlight was on and it seemed like it was coming from the headlight.

Should i be concerned,

could it be low tire pressure? I'll check it after work, but haven't since i bought new tires.. :(

I don't think it's the glow gauges, or else they should've caught fire. :)

I'm actually at work and curious to hear your opinion. If you have encountered it.

LOL, it was worth a shot. Thought you might be from my neck o' da woods

Check the wiring around your headlight and inside your fairings under your dash panels first. Check your tire pressure but I don't think that'd be it. Check around your engine for any rubber or plastic touching it. Do you have HID's?

Honey badgers are common this time of year, you might have hit one. Just sayin :laugh:

:banghead: i knew i hit a badger at 5am! :p

no badger remains yet...
Honey Badger don't care. Stop with the early morning burnouts and you'll be fine. The only thing I know of that smells like rubber on these bikes is the tires. I've rode one for many miles on a flat and never had smoke or an odor. So at this point :dunno:

Who changed the tires ? and how long ago ? I guess you could have a spacer issue and maybe you're rubbing the fender ? I'm thinking that's way out there.

My vote would be for something getting vaporized from touching the engine or a wiring insulation issue. I would check everything out visually and take a loook at the fuse area. When you get that body panel off over the fuses you can shine a light up into the back side of the nose. If you don't see anything it could have been something splashed up from the road that hit the header or even a bug got in there and got grilled.

My vote would be for something getting vaporized from touching the engine or a wiring insulation issue. I would check everything out visually and take a loook at the fuse area. When you get that body panel off over the fuses you can shine a light up into the back side of the nose. If you don't see anything it could have been something splashed up from the road that hit the header or even a bug got in there and got grilled.

and also check the brake lines if they are rubber maybe they rubbing on something, check your fender and fender bolts to make sure it's secure. But once you inspect the outside you will have to get her naked to check around don't be afraid to get her dress off an lift the tank and inspect the insulation. Even though it's not in that area check the rectifier and the wiring they have a bad habit cooking wiring.

+1 on the recitifier burning stuff up. I;ve had 3 motorcycle's and the 1st two I had to replace the rectifier. :banghead:

I don't know. Dogs sniff their own butts and all but having smoke come up in front of the taillight from the rectifier is a little far fetched because the bike, unlike a dog, cannot sniff its own butt...... :laugh: YAY SHELDON COOPER!

So, i got to SA,tx and we removed the fairings. The oil sensor/hose was cracked and leaking alittle oil. :( so we ordered a new one, we also ordered heat wrap for the full exhaust that was somewhat close to it.

Thanks for the help yal. Somehow i cannot tell oil burning from rubber. +1 for nurses right ^_^

Well, i get to ride my sv650s for alittle.

Back