Rotor help!!!

busanutt

Registered
so in prepping for my big trip in 2 weeks I changed out my new rubber myself and balanced myself. Happy with what I had done I mount the rims back on the bike and notice my front left caliper is dragging hard in 1 spot come to find out I warped the rotor. Wow new has a big price tag..With that said i am a machinist could I bring this rotor to work and set up indicators with hopes to try to get everything running true or is that a big mistake? Being my tires I want to be safe. Please help

I'd be interested to know this as well, I have some galfers that are warped and would like to have them as a back up set.

Sent from my busa!

As a past machinist I would grind it if you have that access. Not sure how much it is out. If you do it in a lathe you will have to bore some jaws and go from there. I am sure it can be done but not sure how much you will have left. Grinding is best. I saw a few used ones on ebay the other day. Good luck

Its like 1 of the tabs that bolt to the rim got knocked out of wack. I did take a 2x4 and gentley push on the low spot and that made it look much better but I want to stay safe about it so Im not sure. I believe I can get it back true so I think Im going to try it unless someone says Im a fool and should buy a new one

To be honest I think I would buy one. Less work :laugh:

I tend to agree^ won`t hurt to try though. Arbor press and surface plate to get it flat as possible; machine an arbor to bolt it to, hit it lightly with the du-more tool post grinder....yeah...better buy new lol

I bought one years ago, but yes, someone has stated that you can straighten a mild warp. Best of luck.

so to update you all I brought my rotor to work the **** looked fine but the fingers that bolt to the rim were twisted and all over the place so with indictors set up everywhere I used the press to press each finger as close as I could to each other. When I got them close within .005 I set the rotor up on the miller and milled each finger down .0005 at a time until they all cleaned brought it home and bolted it on runs perfect took her for a ride no vibrations and no pulse when the breaks are applied. Got lucky with this one but I will take the rotor off next time. Thanks all

Back