Rose colored glasses

Dr. Matt

Registered
I purchased my bone stock '06 Busa from a gentleman in the next town.  I hated the dual cans so decided to upgrade.  I checked the market and turned to Ivans.  I have purchase 2 jet kits from him for previous carbureted bikes and was extremely happy.  He had a "kit" for the busa.  It was an Akro full system, Powercommander with his map and the TRE.  He gave me a decent price so I ordered it.  His girl Gina called me back a few days later and said that his "supplier" was out of that exhaust but he could get it from someone else but it would cost me an extra $50-$100 (I can't remember now).  Anyway, I said forget it.  I called Hard Racing , www.hardracing.com , and they got me one for almost $100 less than Ivan originally quoted me.  So, I got all the parts and installed them.  Before I put this stuff on, I did have the stock bike dyno'd.  Anyway, I had a post dyno run done and this is what I got.    It takes a pretty good LOSS on both HP and Torque between 3200 and 6000, where many of us spend the most of our time. (unfortunately I can't seem to post the graph here.  If you want to see it, email me at drmatt357@hotmail.com )  There was about a 3 HP increase way up at the top,  BFD !!  I called Ivan and tried to ask him about this and he refused to take my call.  I even sent him a copy of this and he, to this day, will not respond.  For that kind of money, he should at least have the courtesy to say something. (there are still no dyno charts of the Busa on his website)

So what I did.  The problem is that Ivan's map was way too rich.  He said he makes them that way because you can't tell on a dyno an accurate AFR due to the pressurizing of the airbox at speed.  Problem with that thinking is, Ivan's shop is at approximately 75 ft. above sea level.  I live in Tucson at 2650 ft. above sea level.  His map may work if you live at a very low elevation.  I took the bike back to my Dyno tuner, spent another $200 and he customized a map.  Not only took out the dips in both HP and torque but increased both above stock all the way past peak.  I am extremely happy !!

My suggestion to anyone who wants something similar, you probably don't need a power commander.  Some mechanics have a unit that they can tune the OE box for much cheaper for a stock exhaust, a slip-on or like mine, a full system.
guns.gif

I have delt with Ivan before and before I get yelled at he is very good at what he does... although there is always a but, In my opinion he has a,I am god complex an doesnot take comments too well. Now I did state he is good but nobody is perfect. I then turned to another place called dale walker a.k.a. holeshot.com . In my opinion dale walker is just as good but will take comments and see if they work. And if they work he will use it and thank you for the idea...... Just my 2 pennies

maybe I am reading this wrong.. you did not get the parts from Ivan? but you got his fuel map?

I am afraid as a performance tuner,I would lean towards a rich map myself until the bike was on a dyno for tuning...(product liability)

Also you are correct, you can modify the OE fuel map without the PC but there are some big limitations as to what you can do from my understanding.. Also, you can not do any further tuning yourself. (PC you can plug in and make changes yourself)

How long till you get on a dyno and fix the fuel curve?

I have experience with Ivan, have spoken to him personally about a question for my ZRX jet kit.

I don't know how he does with other bikes, but he is a genius with the ZRX.  My dealing with him were straight forward and businesslike.

His ZRX kits provide about 14% more peak power and increase torque output all across the rev range when accompanied by an exhaust and air box mod).

Without a doubt, the very best jet kit I've ever had on one of my bikes.  The only one that improved carburation everywhere, no discernible flat spots and actually increased driveability under 3K rpm.

On the other hand, my brother has a Superhawk (kick ass motorcycle for sporting street use) with a Two Brothers pipe that Ivan's jet kit did not work as well on, even after he spent a couple hours with it when my bro and I couldn't do any better.  But, what the hell, it was a Honda, not a Suzuki or Kaw  
laugh.gif

Blue1

Now being a proud owner of a new 07 busa aka a real bike, and a previous owner of 07 fz1 who purchased pc111 with ivans map , an fce, i have to say that ivan knows his stuff,all other maps tried did noy work, yes ivans maps are rich but they work,he also spent lots of his time on phone with me explaining things, there is not a lot of people out there that will do that, i look forward to dealing with him about my busa, when the modification madness strikes.
super.gif

Back