Am I Creating "The Ultimate Map"?

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
I think i've done sumpt'in pretty cool here folks...my initial base map was one that was provided to me by "Ivan" (of Ivans Performance) and then?..I had O-Ren Dyno Tuned by Ken Wheeler (Of Wheelers Performance) and along the way?...i also aqquired yet another map that's of professional quality (which I'll refer to as "Brand X" and noticed the following...

IVANS MAP: A Solid baseline map but err'ed to the rich side to keep the engine running cooler at certain revs and throttle positions and developed at roughly 1000 ft altitude.

Ken Wheelers Map: Basically?...it appears that Ken focused only on the 100% WOT column and over the course of 13 dyno runs and optimized "JUST" the 100% wot column...the rest of the map he left "AS IVANS" untouched..so now i had Ivans Map through all throttle positions EXCEPT...100% WOT...which was max tuned by Wheeler.

Brand X Map: Was/Is a map that was written by a "seat-of-the-pants" kinda guy who was obviously attempting to market a "Drag Style Map" where upon review and bumping all three maps it became apparent that this Brand X map was written to induced "Lean Surges" at critical throttle points and custom tailored to drag racing to "Feel The Hit"..via induced lean surging in those certain areas...yet still must be safe as i have several friends who've been using this map exclusively with zero issues for quite awhile now.

And now?...what i've done over the past two days is to "Compare, Edit, Meld & Smooth" all three of these maps...hopefully into what will be one super map.
biggrin.gif

Dakkine just arrived...I'll be tossing this map onto a jump drive and using his laptop to load'er up!
biggrin.gif

I'll give my review later. Bill.
cool.gif

biggrin.gif

Would be best if you at least have an air fuel meter to help keep an eye on things, Just to be safe!

LM-1 is your friend Bill.Fugg the feel or hp,get the air/fuel right and everything else is a by-product.That being said.....sometimes there are some drivability issues even when the Airfuel is right...this is what seperates the tuners from wannabes.Get some sort of wide ban monitoring device and be SURE of what youre doing.Fat is waaaay better than lean.

(nitrousjunkie @ May 13 2007,09:06) LM-1 is your friend Bill.Fugg the feel or hp,get the air/fuel right and everything else is a by-product.That being said.....sometimes there are some drivability issues even when the Airfuel is right...this is what seperates the tuners from wannabes.Get some sort of wide ban monitoring device and be SURE of what youre doing.Fat is waaaay better than lean.
NJ...amoungst my many other meaningless....(Read: "Theat an .60cents will getcha a can of coke")..talents is that....For years i was Ivans "Point Man" down here in florida...and "when" he sold anybody an "Ivans Jet Kit" for an FZ1, ZRX or Pre-'03 R6 in the state of florida?..he'd asked how far they lived from port saint lucie and always recommended that if possible?..they have me install and final tune it.,,granted that was CV carb land but the basics remain the same.

To boot?...two of the three maps i culminated into one "jinksters super map" WERE developed on the dyno complete with E.G.A. Readings (engine under load) and specific to a hayabusa sport'in a standard 2 1/4" core full exhaust with both stock and BMC Race airfilters..between altitudes of sea level too 3,000ft....and the third map?...that was extremely well done by a guy who knows what he's doing when it comes to inducing and SAFELY making the most out of..."Lean Power Surges"..my efforts were directed at melding the three...where it became glarringly apparent (via the numbers) who was doing what and where...and what i did was this...I went by Ken Wheelers custom dyno-tune of my O-Ren where in effect?...alls he did was take ivans base map and worked on the 100% WFO throttle position column...and i held those numbers as gospel in the 100% column...then row by row?...i bumped what was left of Ivans Map against that of Brand X Map...and could clearly see (and smell at idle) where Ivan was "Rich" and Whgere Brand X was Lean..then i averaged out the thre and massaged the numbers to keep things smooth yet powerful and?...

As far as the "No Ram Air Effect On The Dyno" goes?...as i understand it?....

a. The gains of the busa's ram air effect is minimal

and?...

b. Provided you are running a tre device?..tricking the ecu into a 5th gear ignition map?..enrichens 6th anyways...so what little ram air effect you do get in 6th?..is compensated for by a richer 5th gear ign./fuel mapping.

I just got back from a test run...and here's how things went...

First off?..I need to admit that i was a tad disappointed at first because shortly after downloading my triple thoroughbred, heavily massaged map intro O-Rens PC3USB?...She developed an intermitent stumble at idle...(This is where Ivan went real rich and i leaned it out between Ivans and Brand X maps)...and after screwing with the idle screw a bit and checking cables and t-bodies?..i thought that maybe i just need to re-synch since the valve adjust..but then the cooling fan started kicking on and after coming up to temp at an idle several times?...I realized that the stumble seems to only happen when the cooling fan is running...bikes been sitt'in a lot for the past few weeks...easy call there...dimming lights at idle...stumble at idle..batteries prolly a tad weak...so i ran'er tonight...to charge up the battery and then see and the stumbling has all but gone entirely away after just a quick short 10 miler...but?..i'm still not happy from a dead stop start such as a traffic light?...from off idle to 2,000rpms?...she's hurt'in and a tad huffy...but from 2.000 on up?...She's got me scared all over again...rip yer arms out at the shoulder scared...from everywhere..anywhere...above 2K.

Ivan had the idle-just off idle revcs so rich that the idle fumes were sting yer eyes noxious...i think i went just a tad too lean...and that coupled with a weak battery gave O-Ren the stumble start huffys....buat after that 2K mark?..hoooooolllleeeeeeeyyy shid!
biggrin.gif

Ya know that "Crackling on Decel" sound?..well every time..from any rev..in any gear?...i hear the faintest beginings of that decel crack'lin for like one single stroke and then a nice crisp clean rythmic burble down...bike hauls azz.
biggrin.gif

But?...i do hafta re-address the idle-sub 2k revs...add a few points here and there and then?..try again.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

(bigoltool @ May 14 2007,15:40) Have you checked the plugs? Interesting to see how they look?
nope...i ain't that desperate yet!
laugh.gif

I jst installed some fresh ngk's when i did my valve adjust...that's not to say they couldn't be fouled though...but i seriously doubt it's fouling...besides..from 2k on up too 11,000rpms in first 2nd and 3rd?...she was singing along just fine.
biggrin.gif

I have never had luck combining maps because the ecus are not the same bike to bike.
Plus the different technicks that one tuners has vs other and how the tuner loads the dyno makes the most differance.

bottom line get a map made for your bike and be happy, i have been doing this longer than most of you have been alive and guess what.
Jetting or fuel injection there is no magic one fits all.

good luck
super.gif

jinkster you had a custom map made and he did 13 pulls?
do most shops only tune 100% throttle?
when I had mine done it was about 80 pulls and all the throttle positions were tuned
so I must have a super map for my bike

"Dear Lord I Love This Machine", that is what I think to myself every time I ride my busa, I don't know of any other bike that encourages this...well, maybe the rare Ducati. Just reading this thread invokes images of the 2nd gear power wheelie that we all know so well!
beerchug.gif

(nitrousjunkie @ May 14 2007,03:52)
(BA BUSA @ May 14 2007,11:22) No, thats done on a Dyno  
beerchug.gif
No ram air effect on a dyno.
No but you can load the bike and get the a/f ratio right  
wink.gif

The ram air effect doesn't kick in until 130-140+...there is no PERFECT map for EVERY bike. There are plenty
of maps to down load for just about any combo of mods...for your best results a custom tune for smooth power delivery done on a dyno is the way to go.

Everybody gets caught up in "what did she pull" who the frick cares what the MAX HP was @ 10K...how hard does she pull in the useable range, like 6-10k.

Back