Rookie Questions About Lowering?

tranyman

Registered
I plan on lowering my bike because I'm short (5'5") and have lots of troubles backing the bike up while on it. I plan on using the Genmar 1 1/4" front spacer to drop the front which will also help with sore wrists and Soupy's adjustable links on the rear, and only plan on going down about the same if not less. My Question is will I need a shorter kickstand? Or will the bike still have a good lean to it? And has any one had any issues with anything with this kind of setup?

Thanks in advance for your help

Yes, you'll need a shorter kickstand. The stock kickstand is, IMO, already too high at stock height, so get yourself a decent (strong) lowered kickstand and then you'll never have to watch your bike fall over at the gas station like so many others have done.

It would be the wise thing to do. I lowered mine 1" front, and 2" rear and the bike almost stood straight up and down on the stock stand. I was always careful how I parked and never had a problem. If someone had accidentally bumped my bike from the clutch side it would have been a goner.

Also make sure you lock the steering left and see what happens to your brake lever. It doesn't take much travel to operate the front brakes. Wouldn't want you to drop the bike because of this.

All of these!
And :welcome:

We have rules here, too, we need pics of your bike.. :rulez:

I think the short kick stand is a must if you lower the bike, with the stock one the bike stands too straight up for me, make me scare.

They make adjustable kickstands too. My 05 was lowered 2 inches when I first got her and she stood straight up when on the stand. Always made me very nervous until I raised it back up.

A lower seat will help you alot also. New Image are an inch or so lower, but they don't allow you to slide all the way back(some folks love them, some don't)
Corbin will also make you a thinner seat if you ask when you order. You can even uncover your stock seat and shave the foam down, it's easily recovered with a staplegun.:beerchug:

It would be the wise thing to do. I lowered mine 1" front, and 2" rear and the bike almost stood straight up and down on the stock stand. I was always careful how I parked and never had a problem. If someone had accidentally bumped my bike from the clutch side it would have been a goner.

Also make sure you lock the steering left and see what happens to your brake lever. It doesn't take much travel to operate the front brakes. Wouldn't want you to drop the bike because of this.
I had the same setup for 2 seasons, had to be very careful when I parked it, fortunately I didn't have any problems.

Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

All of these!
And :welcome:

We have rules here, too, we need pics of your bike.. :rulez:

I would love to post pics of my bike but I haven't taken any of it since it was new and it has changed since then also now I'm 2867kms away from it so a quick run to the garage isn't an option for me. I plan on flying back doing some quick mods and driving it back in a couple of months if the snow ever melts out here.

and thanks to everyone for your help it is much appreciated!

Back