Rode a ZX12 today

Just got off the phone with the dealer in New Jersey, and my Green Twelve will be delivered on Tuesday. I just want to thank Packa for convincing the two green buyers ahead of me to go RED. Thanks Packa!

Koz

There is 0 miles on bike when it was delivered, there was snow on the ground, dealer couldn't test drive.
So I am a little nervous, but their best wrench assembled the bike.

Lots to break it! Pads, rotors, tires, engine, winter stored rider, ego etc...

:D

Chuck you are correct, Wayne does just around the parking lot to see if it runs (with the customer in attendance)......but then again Wayne is a *SALESMAN* :)

BTW, today I setup my 16th Hayabusa for Olathe. Now I'm home reading all of the dynojet dyno manuals......dyno should arrive on Monday :)

I do know the owner of this zx12, and he is a very good friend of mine. At our dealer we always ride a "out of the crate bike" before it is moved to the showroom. There can be so many problems that are unseen. I was just in the right place at the right time. I was just giving an impression of what I thought of the machine. We put about 2 miles on each bike to make sure everything is together corectly. On my ride I did not go above 3 grand. I treated this bike as the others I have a chance to ride like that are mine. My friend picked this 12 up yesterday afternoon and proceeded to run it to red line. He also has a busa and agrees with me no where near the botton end grunt but it does pull very well up top.

Good point Mr Bear at our dealership we will only let someone with enough riding experience to tell the differences in a bike that is "ready for delivery", and one that may have a problem. Even with trade in's only certain mechanics and salespeople are allowed to check or test out a bike. I would not want some flunkie riding my busa around but I did let one of my service guys ride my buse before delivery to me.

I`ve picked three up...watched shop owner service and personally take one down the street...2nd one had no miles and salesman rode it around to truck to load...3rd had one mile and was tested by personal friend at dealership I totally trust...even let them ride one to check out how much the mods had helped the bus. I personally will not take a NEW bike with several miles on it...especially a bus.

Almost forgot I also got to see a ZX at local dealer today....looks OK but the build quality is not there...looks cheap compared to a bus...

The Busa comes assembled except for mirrors, windscreen, grab bar, hump/seat.

check fluids and charge battery thats all pretty simple stuff, the bikes wheels are installed at the factory.

I recieved my bike with 0 miles.

Just because the bike has -0- miles on it means nothing. When I was waiting on my hayabusa last year(first one in town) the day before I got mine another dealer here got one and I happened to be driving by and saw one of the service guys on it. Of course I pulled in and checked it out.

All of the salesmen and shop guys were out there drooling. I even saw the manager out there and when the service guy came back in he clearly stated " You did disconnect the odometer right?"

I think on a brand new model bike like the busa or 12 everyone is waiting to get a shot on her to see how bad it is. You might be suprised if you think you devirginized your bike.

Great a dealership worker out beating the snot of a new customers bike when it comes in for its first service, just gotta love it.

Where do you work?

Heres My opinion....

If the Bike I'm buying can't take a little ripping, then it ain't for Me!

And if there was something to go wrong, better it happen at the dealership then with Me....

Hmmm...?

Of the 16 Hayabusa's that Olathe Suzuki has received so far, not one mile has been put on before delivery to the customer.

If after market parts are installed, then the service guy will test ride the bike.

The Busa's come ready to run, test drives are not needed...Suzuki's factory does it right the first time.

Mr. Bear, I agree with you.

I was at my dealer today and a customer had just bought a '00 9R. The most beautiful dark, dark purple (looks black until your about 5' away), I have ever seen. The shop flunkies put it together and when they rode it out of the shop to the lot, they said something was wrong with the engine. They started talking to the service manager about valve problems and all kinds of crap. The customer was starting to freak out (his first sportbike) when he couldn't pick the bike up. Their top mechanic doesn't work on Saturdays and the other 2 bike mechanics had taken the day off. No one had a clue as to what the problem actually was or what to do about it.

Their JetSki mechanic dropped by to get something and the service manager begged him to test ride the brand new bike (1 mile on the odo). The mechanic told the SM that he should have ME do it, since I know more about sportbike the he does. Either I seriously got him fooled or he just didn't want to do it on his day off (I think it was the latter). So, I got a helmet and gloves off the rack and off I went... on this customer's brand new bike. I didn't have to go a 1/2 mile, before it became obvious what the problem was. When I got back, I started to discribe what the problem was to the JetSki mechanic (I didn't know that the customer was standing right next to him - they are good friends).

It turned out that the vacuum line from the carbs to all that pollution control crap (ERG? EGR? - I don't know what it's called) got pinched by the tank or the airbox. I was lucky to have figured it out. When I took all that off my 7R, I just pluged up ALL the remaining lines with screws. Didn't run worth a crap (just like this 9R) until I reconnected that one line back to the airbox. I realized that it was the customer standing there, when he gave this great sigh of relief, after my "it's nothing serious diagnosis".

The customer didn't get his bike, today. IMO, such repairs are best left for the "professionals". Had the bike not been "pre-delivery" test rode, he would have thought he had a major problem the first time he rode it. Also, being this guy's first sportbike, he would have never felt comfortable with it. Even after it was repaired. The test ride saved this guy and the dealer, alot of future heartache.

The majority of buyers don't have anywhere near the knowledge that ANYONE here has. The "test ride" is for the buyer's AND the dealer's benifit and protection. The pinched hose was a rare fluke, but it will be fixed and all parties involved will be pleased. Imagine what would have happened if the customer had rode off the lot, at closing time today (they won't be open again, till Tuesday). The customer would have 2 days to worry about it and listen to all the BS ideas from his equally inexperienced buddies.

[This message has been edited by redelk (edited 19 March 2000).]

Good on ya, Redelk. That is exactly the kind of thing you get with a professional wrench. After my brother had worked in bike shops for several years and done test rides on like 2,000 new crotch rockets, he wasn't interested in finding out what a customer's brand-new bike would do. He wanted to get it delivered, make a happy repeat customer who would ask for him when it came time for the break-in service, and get on to the next job on his schedule.

Time is money, and if the shop owner pays his line mechanics on a percentage basis, they want to bill work and make happy customers, not screw around on customers' bikes. That's how things are at a good shop. My advice to new owners...find a good shop and stay with them.

[This message has been edited by Mr Bear (edited 19 March 2000).]

Pete has it right, get to know a good mechanic personally. He knows you have a pricey machine, if you do him a favor here and there and ask for him when it comes time for service, he'll treat you and your bike right if he's a pro. I mean, Pete is right, on a brand-new bike the first use is critical. But it doesn't really pay any dividends to be overly paranoid. You have to get your new bike through the company's distribution system...most of us do, anyway.

If you do it right, with a little luck you get a good machine. Maybe it's a tiny bit like waiting for your baby to be born. You can't help but be paranoid that something will go wrong or get screwed up. At the end of all the stress and anticipation, there it is, your new darling. That's a good time in life, that's all I can say. I just got my Busa a month ago, but I can't wait to get my next brand-new bike (it would be my fourth new one in my life so far). It's just fun, taking delivery of a brand-new machine. Gotta love it.

Had a chance to ride a 12 for about 156 miles on sat. First green one in for local dealer who will remain nameless. As I bought 5 bikes from this dealer last year, he just knew I would have to have the 12. Impressions:
Nice bike-handles great at low speeds.
better wing protection that busa.
flat low and mid-range(think a 9 could give it a good run
nice top end but party's over by 11500.
Not a busa beater, but nice bike. (I did not buy It.

Today I learned that when you install the "dealer mode" switch, which is used to set the TPS, that no miles are registered on your odometer.

Hey Rob you made it back without freezing off anything important. Gotta do the Cozy Inn, all you can eat, thing again with more Busa's. Nice sounding Ackro while riding behind you.

Just Got back home in Texas.
Man after reading this long and boring thread I must say. If you don't have the Dealer test ride it they are not in compliance with the Factory like Mr Bear said and something like a Busa or a 12 need to be set up serviced properly(how many had overheat conditions with there new Busa)
Find a good tech you can trust and don't sweat it.
I only do what I have to on a test ride some customers do want you to rip the sh** out of it, but only if they want me to

Back