Roasted Right Leg of Lamb

aldo

Registered
OK, questions from the new guy, love my new '05 blue and silver, but what the hell is going on with the heat on my right leg? Is this normal, I mean I'm not riding the thing that much over 5K RPM, 100 MPH and I have to scoot my butt back on the seat or my right leg is gonna be well done. Is this a common issue, any remedies?

Also, I have a '98 Triumph Speed Triple with clip ons and I love the handling of the bike, its quite a bit heavier than the Hayabusa, and I feel easier handling because of this heavier steering. The Busa is as light as a feather, almost too light. While cruising on the highway its so light that it can be difficult to hold the thing straight, its extremely responsive. Is this normal, is there a way to adjust it so the front end doesnt feel so light, or is this the way the Hayabusa is.

One final question, adjusting the length of pull on the clutch lever, it seems to be set for a guy with some big old mitts.

Thanks

<!--EDIT|aldo
Reason for Edit: "lousy spelling"|1123731849 -->

You win Ben Stein's money!!
cool.gif

The heat from the engine is normal...HOT.

The lever distance can be adjusted: Just push outward on the lever and then turn the numbered thumb-wheel. I can't remember if you go to a higher, or lower number, but you'll figure it out. This can be done on both the clutch and brake levers.

The handling is what you would call...Neutral. Most of this is due to the profile shape of the tires. The Busa's tires are rounded to the poit that you are balancing on the edge of a ball so to speak. Look at the profile of the Triumph's tires...are they a flatter profile?

One way to smooth out the handling is to lighten up on the handlebars. Don't hold it with a tight grip. Just relax and let the bike find its happy spot. BUT...hold on tight if you twist the throttle too much.

Oh...Welcome to the board
beerchug.gif

The heat from the engine is normal...HOT.

The lever distance can be adjusted:  Just push outward on the lever and then turn the numbered thumb-wheel.  I can't remember if you go to a higher, or lower number, but you'll figure it out.  This can be done on both the clutch and brake levers.

The handling is what you would call...Neutral.  Most of this is due to the profile shape of the tires.  The Busa's tires are rounded to the poit that you are balancing on the edge of a ball so to speak.  Look at the profile of the Triumph's tires...are they a flatter profile?

One way to smooth out the handling is to lighten up on the handlebars.  Don't hold it with a tight grip.  Just relax and let the bike find its happy spot.  BUT...hold on tight if you twist the throttle too much.

Oh...Welcome to the board
beerchug.gif
I doubt it, but would using a different coolant ease up the heat problem, or is their an aftermarket product to direct the heat elsewhere?

I do appreciate the help with the clutch lever, I'll give it a shot.

The tires on the Speed Triple are Michelin Pilots, like glue, big 19 on the back, I changed up the front and rear sprockets and chain, carbon fiber racing can, clipons, I ran it in the rain from Philly to NYC the other other night and the thing was just stuck to the highway, ran like a hammer.

I guess the Hayabusa will take some getting used to, absolutely incredible rollons tonight, like warp speed, and I wasn't even grabbin the whole throttle.

I have to laugh, when I picked up the bike the service manager said during the 500 mile break-in don't go over 5.5K RPM, the thing is doing over 100MPH at 5K RPM, redlines at 11K !

It's worth it to wire up a fan switch, get the muzzy fan, and throw some engine ice in that bad girl. Total cost of under $100 if you do it yourself. should solve some of your heat problems. But no matter what, japanese bikes are hot, especially suzookers.

as for the handling, good points were brought up about tire shape. It is a very different bike from the brit.

Also Remember to hold yourself up with your abdominals. It is still a sport bike even though mags call it a sport tourer.
tounge.gif
By taking your weight off the handle bars, your inputs to the bars becoming more meaningful and smoother. I don't own them myself, but I hear handlebar riser help with this.

hope that helps! welcome!
smile.gif

try having a dump pipe out the side of the fairing right next to your foot.
laugh.gif

try having a dump pipe out the side of the fairing right next to your foot.
laugh.gif
i wanna try that!  actually i've ridden a turbo'd busa with a dump pipe, but only a short distance (i'll give you once chance to figure out how long that ride was.  hint: it involved a christmas tree)

<!--EDIT|8overin808
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123783413 -->

Welcome to the board.
The heat off the engine is normal, but up at speeds I don't notice it. I do notice it when I am putting along in traffic, then the legs get a little warm. Everyone once in a while open your legs into the slip stream and they should cool down.

Normally, unless it's really hot out, I'm wearing an Aerostich 1 piece riding suit. I don't feel the heat with these on and with the vents, I seldom feel the temps either.

With jeans my right leg does get hot and the one time I rode in a swim suit, I damn near singed the hair off of my leg but that was a low, backroad speeds.

A couple of folks are mentioning ice but as I understand it, the air temp would actually be hotter since the point is the ice pulls more heat out of the engine which would be in the radiator and of course, blowing back over your leg. I may be wrong about that though.

Carl

Normally, unless it's really hot out, I'm wearing an Aerostich 1 piece riding suit. I don't feel the heat with these on and with the vents, I seldom feel the temps either.

With jeans my right leg does get hot and the one time I rode in a swim suit, I damn near singed the hair off of my leg but that was a low, backroad speeds.

A couple of folks are mentioning ice but as I understand it, the air temp would actually be hotter since the point is the ice pulls more heat out of the engine which would be in the radiator and of course, blowing back over your leg. I may be wrong about that though.

Carl
I think youre right about the fan and the different coolant, I think only the bike makes out in that deal. I'm not familiar with turbo's or blowers, what does a dump pipe do? I'm guessing all the additional air getting sucked in needs to be blown out as well, and its probably not supercooled either.

In a few more months I'm gonna like my little Busa heater up here in the NE, but how does someone in Florida deal with this on a regular basis?

For now I'll deal with this minor issue, and the solution is probably as you said, riding pants. I was just surprised that I had never seen this issue on this excellent board, I'm sure I wasn't looking hard enough.

As always thanks for the wisdom.

The engine is going to get hot and besides if you can feel the heat off the engine you are going to slow.

I don't know about your triple, but busas are one of the heavier sport bikes on the market. I'm not sure your comment about being too light would be accurate. If you think the busa is light try any 600 or even the GSXR 1000.

I don't know about your triple, but busas are one of the heavier sport bikes on the market.  I'm not sure your comment about being too light would be accurate.  If you think the busa is light try any 600 or even the GSXR 1000.
Oh no, I didn't mean the bike was light, I actually meant the steering was very light compared with the triple. The Busa is damn heavy, but I bought it primarily for the highway, the triple is much better for bouncing around town.

Yep, engine ice helped mine, and  I wired the fan also.
tounge.gif
So at the 500 mile service do you think its worth it to tell him to dump the coolant and replace with engine ice, you think I'll tell the difference?
only if you do the fan also, it's one of those both or none.

the muzzy fan displaces more air and having a switch allows you to control when it's on (if you do it right, the bike still turns the fan on at 220 ish). if you get the engine ice only, it just takes longer to get to the same temp.

also I have noticed that the frame rail beneath the seat on mine gets real hot. seems normal though, same on the gixxer

Back