Riding season ends - do you cancel your insurance?

el stumpo

Registered
Just curious,

Does anyone out there cancel their MC insurance when they put their Busa away for the winter? And then sign up again when it warms up?

I can't see paying for a few months of insurance when you won't be using it.. but don't know if there are legal pitfalls.

In NC, you are required to have insurance, but you can also turn in your plate. When you're ready to ride, grab your insurance again, register the bike and off you go.

Maybe I'm being cheap (that means more $ for mods
tounge.gif
)

What are your thoughts out there?

PS - I didn't finance my Busa, so their is no requirement for full coverage....

My riding season never ends, slows down yes (summer 100 F in the sun in the summer and 10 F to -10 F with the wind in the winter) , but I would NEVER consider cancelling my insurance. Things happen all year (and your in NC) where you can ride . If I were you, I wouldn't even think about cancelling, really how much are you going to save. And how much is insurance to your peace of mind  
beerchug.gif

(DaCol. @ Aug. 04 2007,17:25) My riding season never ends, slows down yes (summer 100 F in the sun in the summer and 10 F to -10 F with the wind in the winter) , but I would NEVER consider cancelling my insurance. Things happen all year (and your in NC) where you can ride . If I were you, I wouldn't even think about cancelling, really how much are you going to save. And how much is insurance to your peace of mind
beerchug.gif
Well said....NC is a year around riding climate. Besides, you could need the insurance for something crazy like the bike falling over or getting stolen.

(heavybusa @ Aug. 04 2007,18:26) 100% ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Thieves do not take the winter off
Very good point. I figure it would save about $80 or so.. maybe not worth it.... But with liability only, I don't know if I'm covered for theft... need to look that up.

Mine is kept in the garage....and I usually am hunting in my spare time so I saved about $300 last year. This year I am looking at saving only around $150 for the 3 months due to lower rates now. I did it in December, January, and February.

Dayum know one told me riding season ends
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

Dry and above 38 and I'm riding would'nt think of
canceling.

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

No snow, no rain, I'm riding to work. I'll layer up and be fine. and if you only have liability, your most likley not covered against theft.

You should look into Full Coverage. No telling when see
jackarse will not see your baby, or someone will want to
have your bike more than you.

(stlbusarider @ Aug. 05 2007,00:02) No snow, no rain, I'm riding to work. I'll layer up and be fine.       and if you only have liability, your most likley not covered against theft.
+1
beerchug.gif

i moved west so riding season does not end
super.gif

always keep insurance. something could happen
beerchug.gif

I ride all year, but talk to your insurance company. Many of them do winter rates if you aren't going to ride. That way you can save some money and have continuous coverage.

Ask your agent whether or not the bike is covered for theft under your homeowner's policy.

--Wag--

policies are written for a year which you would have to pay for. canceling something you paid for doesnt make much sense. most wont do a six month policy anyway

Back