Riding Gear Question - Went out today to buy and came home frustrated

Cannonball Rides

Registered
How should the products being sold from Dainese , Alpinestar , Spidi to name the ones I tried on today truly fit?
I left the dealership so confused. Are they suppose to fit like a Vacuum packed / Shrink wrapped prune? I gotta tellya I was so disappointed. I thought they would fit comfortably and you could feel the quality leathers and snaps and zips but wow was I dreaming. I found them so tight it was not comfortable at all. Is this how you wear these things? DO they ever break in and become comfortable or is that the design. There was no way I could get in a partial tuck let alone any other position. Tell me this is not normal - or tell me it is :)

Are we talking leathers or textile?
One or two piece.

I have both, all in two piece.
The leathers take a bit to break in for me.
But both are very comfortable once I found the right brand that fits me.

If you have long arms or legs, you 'may' need to look at custom

+1

And in my exp., the Italian leather stuff always fits about a size small, even the A♦ boots were a bit snug, but stretched nicely after a bit
Hi. I have found off the shelf never fits good. That is why I am having Heroic Lrsthets in NY. custom make me a set but. Not cheap around $2,500.00. Before I order them I have to lose 25 to 30 lbs and keep it off.

Sorry leather, even looked at the latest d-air Dainese and the issue was very tight in the chest elbow pads too high and way too tight. I was looking at two piece packages since the suits the specs would never work. I found in order to get comfort I had to go a lot larger, but then the waist was huge. Pants were way to short to get waist even close. Was really frustrating- I know 1st world issue. I found a guy who makes custom which I may have to go with.

Funny thing is I have a harley FXRG leather suit that's is perfect. I guess I want a high end quality touring suit with knee, hip, elbow and back armour that is like your favorite leather chair. I am not planning on racing ever. I was hoping to find one of the higher end brands with casual leather and comfort zones for bent knees etc. Guess I'm just crazy

MotorcycleGear.com (the new name of New Enough) :: Motorcycle Jackets, Helmets, Gloves, Boots, Luggage, Parts and More! Has excellent information on sizing, they actually try stuff on and measure it.

Cheers
ken

Great outfit. I’ve bought almost all my gear from them over the years. Always buy a size larger as you’ll be bent over in the riding position with knees bent more than standing upright walking around in them. You’ll also be layered up underneath, at least with a long sleeve T, maybe two. Longer is better than shorter too, especially in the pants. On the pegs with legs bent, you don’t want them at the top of your boots. My leather jacket is a Fieldsheer and my leather pants are EXL brand. Most of my textiles are Tourmaster. My mesh jacket is from Joe Rocket. Fit for them all is perfect.

Whatever leathers you buy, get them soaking wet...seriously.
Get in the shower with them on, get soaked by the hose outside, or go riding in the rain.
This softens and stretches them around Your shape, and they will fit you Much Better!
I have done it several times, and it works.
And as said Alpine Stars runs small
I had to really stretch the fingers in their xl gloves.
Try Joe Rocket, they fit much truer to American sizing.

Whatever leathers you buy, get them soaking wet...seriously.
Get in the shower with them on, get soaked by the hose outside, or go riding in the rain.
This softens and stretches them around Your shape, and they will fit you Much Better!
I have done it several times, and it works.
And as said Alpine Stars runs small
I had to really stretch the fingers in their xl gloves.
Try Joe Rocket, they fit much truer to American sizing.

Whaa? What happens to the lining?

Whaa? What happens to the lining?
Nothing.
No different than the liner being washed without soap...it drys too.
This isn't something I came up with either...it's old school.
The leather dries around your shape in the riding position.
I soaked them new, ride until dry.
Second ride on them I went through 2 thunderstorms, wet to dry, and wet to dry again. Next ride out they fit great.
I use SaddleSoap or leather conditioner on it after it breaks in.
I wear a 21 year old Joe Rocket 2 piece suit and boots, still comfortable and in good shape...how bad can it be??

@Cannonball Rides
If you're interested, I've got a link to an outfit that'll make custom leathers ... tailored to you. You take your own measurements, send that in, and they'll mail leathers to you, and can do custom artwork for the suit as well - about 2-3 weeks turnaround. Under $1k USD. The guys I track with all swear by the Pakistani leather. It's like kangaroo or something, don't quote me on that, but if you're interested I'll dig out the link and post it. Me? I bought an off-the-rack Cycle Gear one-piece (Sedici) for about $500. Fits when I'm skinny (I'm not, currently) except the knees & pucks are a bit low hanging, which is what I expected, all things considered. Hope this helps.

Nothing.
Second ride on them I went through 2 thunderstorms, wet to dry, and wet to dry again. Next ride out they fit great.
I wear a 21 year old Joe Rocket 2 piece suit and boots, still comfortable and in good shape...how bad can it be??
Thinking about it, how good is 21 yo thread?
Never thought about it till now.
Hmmm.....

Hmmm.....
I used bee-wax and rubbed it into the threads once in a while but as they got older and older it was always in my mind the thread might be getting weak

Nothing.
I got caught in the rain many times wearing my leather suits....I was lucky as I had several suits so they could dry out.....never had any issues, cleaned them with the same stuff-saddle soap.

Racing leathers are tight on purpose and at 170 miles an hour, flapping clothes will cause blurring vision. I have a Spartan custom suit that is awesome. Racing suits feel tighter than they are because of the cut and the weight and strength of the leather, and It is very uncomfortable to walk in though! As @sixpack577 was saying, when I got it I was going to send it back because it was so tight. Spartan said wet it and I thought they were just trying to get around a poor fitting product. But a couple of minutes in the bathtub with warm water and it felt like it stretched several sizes! Now it feels like a second skin. Was a bit hard to explain to the wife though...

Touring suits are completely different. They should be reasonably loose and comfortable when not tucked. The biggest things you want out of touring suits are:

1. Weather and crash protection. The main issues for the road are abrasions and impacts to trees, animals, etc.
2. Flexibility. Vents, rain liners, and thermal liners should all be quickly adjustable on the fly.
3. Storage - lots of pockets.
4. Lose fit, comfort. But don't get them to lose as they will flap in the air even at fairly low speeds and can blur vision. Make sure they are comfortable even with all the layers.
5. Visibility. Reflective piping on the stitching is a good idea. I know we all what to look cool in black, but light colors are better.

If you get leathers, go 2-piece. I wear the pants all the time with a touring jacket that I had the zipper replaced to zip to the leather pants. There are also one-piece touring suits that are semi-custom and are amazing for thermal protection. These suits provide great abrasion protection and are engineered for touring. I wore a friend's, I think it was Aerostitch? They are like space suits though. The bad side is they run around $1,400!

My Spartans were about $1,500, super quality, and completely custom right down to the colors. It was my only choice as I don't have an off-the-rack body - haha! Spartan said they were easy to make: They found a cow, cut the head and hoofs off, and put a zipper down the belly! My touring jacket is an Olympia Dakar that is altered to zip to the Spartan pants. Awesome jacket, good from 25-100 degrees.

Spartan 02 700.jpg

Hmmm.....
They look, fit, and feel good.
Leather doesn't expire.
I have replaced my gloves and helmets several times in 21 years.
The Joe Rocket leather is thick and high quality(at least it was then).
Leather conditioner has kept it from drying out or cracking.
If I didn't feel safe in it I wouldn't wear it.
It's my gear, I inspect it, I take care of it, time passes, alot of it, and they're still good.
I have looked at several new suits, some of which the leather wasn't as thick, and did not feel like it would physically protect me nearly as well.
The speed hump went out of style...then came back, and I see it as extra protection for my neck, limiting helmet movement backwards like a Hans device, and extra padding on my neck in a crash.
I bought them when I was 23...I'm almost 45...and they still fit me correctly.
I see no need to replace them.
I am considering a new suit in the future for an airbag jacket, otherwise, I'm good.

They look, fit, and feel good.
Leather doesn't expire.
I have replaced my gloves and helmets several times in 21 years.
The Joe Rocket leather is thick and high quality(at least it was then).
Leather conditioner has kept it from drying out or cracking.
If I didn't feel safe in it I wouldn't wear it.
It's my gear, I inspect it, I take care of it, time passes, alot of it, and they're still good.
I have looked at several new suits, some of which the leather wasn't as thick, and did not feel like it would physically protect me nearly as well.
The speed hump went out of style...then came back, and I see it as extra protection for my neck, limiting helmet movement backwards like a Hans device, and extra padding on my neck in a crash.
I bought them when I was 23...I'm almost 45...and they still fit me correctly.
I see no need to replace them.
I am considering a new suit in the future for an airbag jacket, otherwise, I'm good.
I had 3 Bristol suits back in the day....they got a little beat up from racing but held up well...

I had those for years until I went to textile...I've been considering looking into another leather suit again...

Back