Riding Boots for Big Guys -- Sidi? Alpinestars? Other?

Banger

Registered
I know there's a current thread identifying what people are wearing... but nobody really says why they are wearing them. Unfortunately I don't know of any motorcycle shops in the Phoenix area that carry a large number of options for motorcycle boots so ordering online and having to deal with the wrath of something not fitting correctly is my only option.

I wear a size 13 shoe comfortably... and am trying to decide between the Sidi Cobra Air and the AlpineStar S-MX-5 right now. Honestly I came up between those two based on simplicity and functionality from what I have read... but again I'm just reading some text on a website from the manufacturer. I have the following questions for fellow owners:

1. Do the Sidis run small? Narrow? Wide? Do they wear fast?

2. Do the AlpineStars run small? Narrow? Wide? Do they wear fast?

3. Which is the better boot for walking around in after I dismount the motorcycle? I typically ride to work and then sit at a desk for 12+ hours. I don't want to bring a separate pair of shoes if I can help it...

4. Which one provides the most protection?

5. eBay scares the hell out of me... but taxes on a $250 pair of boot might be worth the gamble from a reputable seller. Anybody have any online merchants that they use for riding gear faithfully because of their return policies and/or pricing?

Again, I know there's already a thread which indicates what people own... but I want to know why!!!

Thanks guys!

And now I'm looking at the Sidi Vertigo Air too... ugh... so many choices!

Guy on eBay has them for $300 obo which is $75 cheaper than anybody else anywhere... and it looks like he's sold a couple for $250ish. Please let them be real... :please:

Send a PM to Lurch... He knows all about trying to find boots.. :beerchug:

Send a PM to Lurch... He knows all about trying to find boots.. :beerchug:

That I do.:whistle:

Sid's run true to size. I wear a size 15+ and bought a pair of Sidi vertigo's. I love them only took me about 2 years to stretch them to fit my big feet. They are comfortable to walk in all day when not riding. I just bought a pair of the cheap Alpine Stars SMX-5 at the bike show. A-stars run BIG. Maybe because they are brand new they do not feel as comfortable to walk in as my Sidi's do. If I were you I would spring for the Sidi Vertigo's or something along that line.
Hope that helps.

From Sasquatch himself. :whistle:

I have wide feet. Wear a 13WWW. Try finding a boot to fit my feet is a life long search.

Just got some Sidi Apex boots from UPS today.
They are new out for this year. Basically a cut down Sidi Vertigo. They are not a full height boot.
I have a very wide foot and got a EUR 48 and they are really wide. I was surprised. Going to buy some jell inserts and see how they feel then. It not I will get one size down.

I wear a USA 13 in nike usually.

Thank you, Lurch!!!!! :beerchug:

My riding is.... how do I say this politely.... LAME. I have chicken strips that cover 50% of my rear tire and don't really get into anything too much. My thoughts on buying the boots was purely safety and salvaging an ankle if I were to go down.

Just got some Sidi Apex boots from UPS today.
They are new out for this year. Basically a cut down Sidi Vertigo. They are not a full height boot.
I have a very wide foot and got a EUR 48 and they are really wide. I was surprised. Going to buy some jell inserts and see how they feel then. It not I will get one size down.

I wear a USA 13 in nike usually.

Totally helpful information... thank you!

I, too, wear a 13 in Nike sneakers and am looking at getting the 48 Sidis. These Apex style boots have me even more happy though because I don't think I need the full boot, yet these provide the same protection for what I'm looking for. Let me know how you like them!

Thank you, Lurch!!!!! :beerchug:

My riding is.... how do I say this politely.... LAME. I have chicken strips that cover 50% of my rear tire and don't really get into anything too much. My thoughts on buying the boots was purely safety and salvaging an ankle if I were to go down.

Hey bro I meant if you are intending to go to the track you might want to look at a different style than if you were touring. I think Kev gave you great info.

6'7" @ 240LBS. I wear a 13US-13.5US depending on shoe style. My Sidi Vertibras are a 47 and fit me good. I do ride to work a lot but I throw my running shoes in a back pack due to I walk an average of 5 miles at work a day and that may be a little to much in riding boots.

I wear a 14 in Nike sneaks. I have had 2 pairs of Sidi drag boots, I find them comfortable. A little narrow, but they break in.

Size 14 for me. I have the MX5 boot. They fit good even with thick wool socks in winter. I would not walk around in all day. I have walked around for a coupe hours though.

you guys are all lucky, I wear a size 16. They dont make them that big in street boots. I ended up finding some Daytona boots from Germany that came in a 16 but they where pricey. I would love another option if anyone ever finds something my size...

Back