Rider's elbow?

CWCobra

Registered
Anybody ever get a sore elbow from riding too much? Any remedies or exercises I can do? My left elbow is real tender to the touch, and a bit sore - sorta like tennis elbow, I guess. Sure does hurt, and the more I ride, the more it hurts.

This is all new - never had it before. It's hell getting old!

CW

Are you relaxed enough on your upper body? Do you find yourself tensed up on your shoulder as you approach corners? Do you use enough mid and lower body strengh? Is the distance between your ears and shoulder extended as much? Good luck and be safe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Never had rider's elbow as of yet, but I have had a case or two of ye good ole monkey butt. :whistle:

D

How old are you?

Do you keep your arms rigid or flexed?

How many miles do you log?

I have the same problem but it starts in the elbow and transfers to my shoulder blade, then to the center of my back and shortly my right fingers start to tingle and go to sleep. Yes you are probably right, gettin old can cause these things. Take a goody powder before you ride and maybe that will help. Good Luck.

I have the same problem but it starts in the elbow and transfers to my shoulder blade, then to the center of my back and shortly my right fingers start to tingle and go to sleep. Yes you are probably right, gettin old can cause these things. Take a goody powder before you ride and maybe that will help. Good Luck.

What's a goody powder?

I'm 57 and have been riding for years. I guess I put in 500-600 miles a week, more or less. I've always gotten kind of a "crick" between my shoulder blades from time to time - even when driving a car or truck. But this is different. My research tells me it's a lot like "tennis elbow", an inflamation of the medial epicondyle around the elbow. Typically caused by repetitive motions of the wrist, ala playing tennis. But this is not my throttle hand - it's my clutch hand. So maybe it's clutch-related. Or maybe it's not related to biking at all. Biking is the only thing I do a lot of - that and mowing the grass, LOL!

Guess I'll start hitting the Motrin, and hope it goes away.

CW

Sounds like you're putting a 'death grip' on the bars. Your arms should be relaxed when you ride. Use your stomach and core muscles to support your body.

I get "golfers" elbow and the Ortho gave me a arm band support thing that goes just below the elbow... (works like magic)

It was really acting up after a few hours of hard riding.. the band relieved the issue (but had to wear it for a few weeks while my tendons healed up)

Cobra,
I'm 56 and I also experience that pain in my left elbow and sometimes travels up to my shoulder/neck region.
It's not bad enough to keep me off the bike but at the same time I can certianly do without it.
Hang in there.:thumbsup:

Been swinging a Hammer for 30+ years.... arms always hurt....
Celebrex is the best i found ..... works wonders..... but... HIGH BP does not permitt me to take it..
Iceing helps too...... 15mins on 15mins off.... couple times in evening.

I had a similar problem when I first moved to sportbikes. I eventually realized that I was keeping my elbows locked with my full upper body weight resting on them. I started keeping my elbows slightly bent and using my abs and back to support my body instead. The pain went away almost immediately.

When I'm on the 'Busa, my arms are always bent, with elbows near or touching the tank. I typically rest my chest on the tank quite often - only complaint I have in doing so is that it sometimes results in a very temporary sore neck. Anyhow, it's definitely not a locked elbow thing. As a matter of fact, last Saturday, I rode for about 250 miles, and for much of the time I rested my left hand on my hip - not even gripping the bar at all. At speed, or in curves, I was tucked, with elbows in against the tank. It was a fun ride: 5 hours, only two stops, thru the North Georgia mountains around Suches.

I had a similar problem when I first moved to sportbikes. I eventually realized that I was keeping my elbows locked with my full upper body weight resting on them. I started keeping my elbows slightly bent and using my abs and back to support my body instead. The pain went away almost immediately.

You hit the nail on the head... :thumbsup:
Listen up grasshopper and unlock them thar elbows.. :whistle:

Back