Rider/police officer down in south florida.

umairhashmi

Registered
I knew this person from sfriders.com He replied to my posts often.Very nice guy although i never met him personally i think of him as a friend.Rest in peace mongoose.

DOLPHIN EXPRESSWAY

Dade officer dies in off-duty motorcycle crash

BY DAVID OVALLE

dovalle@MiamiHerald.com

William Harvey Jr., a Miami-Dade police officer for more than 13 years, died Friday from injuries suffered in an off-duty motorcycle accident on the Dolphin Expressway.
His last stint was as a vehicular homicide detective.
Harvey, 36, hailed from a family with strong ties to the department. His parents were Miami-Dade officers, police said.
During his career, Harvey mostly patrolled South Miami-Dade. He joined the vehicular homicide unit two years ago.
''He was a proficient investigator, a very capable investigator,'' said Miami-Dade Detective Robert Williams, a department spokesman.
Harvey has received numerous commendations over the years, Williams said, including departmental bronze and silver medals of honor.
Harvey had been riding north on Florida's Turnpike about 10 p.m. Thursday. He was entering the eastbound lane of the Dolphin Expressway when he somehow struck the back of a Ford car also headed east.
He was ejected from the Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle and landed on the shoulder, said Florida Highway Patrol Lt. Pat Santangelo.
Harvey wore a helmet.
The driver of the Ford, Miriam C. Garcia, 35, pulled over and called emergency dispatchers.
She has not been ticketed or charged.
Harvey is survived by his wife and two young children, police said. Memorial services are pending.
It's unclear why the collision occured; troopers are still investigating.
Both drivers have valid driver's licenses

sad.gif
That's awful. Sorry for your loss.

very sorry... Prayers to the family:(

Very sad to hear. My thoughts go out to his family! RIP Bro!

Huge loss for his family sorry to here that. Dangerous sport gentlemen be safe out there.

Wow, that's awful. I truly feel sad for his family. but, there is something larger missing here.

"Somehow struck the back of a Ford car" as you put it?

This is the big question. I know that stretch of road very well. Miami traffic is not the ideal place to be riding your bike, especially at 10 PM.

There are a lot of variables at play here. This just goes to show how concentrated you have to be, even though it may be out of your control.

Remember, when you're on a bike you're a pin ball in a pin ball world.

Sorry to here this, my prayers are going out to his Family and Friends....
sad.gif

Back