replacing the thermostat

nychris

Registered
I started a thread about boiling anti-freeze pouring out of the overflow tube after a few minutes of the bike idling here:

https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=10;t=94406

I've decided to replace the thermostat to see if that fixes it. Can someone please point me to a website where I can order the part? I called the local Suzuki dealers but no one has it in stock.

Is there any documentation or instructions on replacing it somewhere?

Thanks for the help.

2002 Hayabusa

First, is your fan turning on when it gets hot. If your fan turns on, then the thermostat is working.

If the fan doesn't turn on, check the fuse first. It may only be a blown fuse.

First, is your fan turning on when it gets hot. If your fan turns on, then the thermostat is working.

When the radiator started overflowing, the fan would turn on for a second, turn off, turn back on, and so on. I should have mentioned that in the first post. The gauge in the dash only rises to about the half way level.

I've ordered a new thermostat since I hear its fairly easy to replace. It was suggested in the other thread I posted above to start with that. We'll see if that fixes it, hopefully that will be it.

thumb_up.gif

When the radiator started overflowing, the fan would turn on for a second, turn off, turn back on, and so on. I should have mentioned that in the first post. The gauge in the dash only rises to about the half way level.
Ahhh, I hope the new thermostat does the trick
beerchug.gif

So what ever happend with this?

I had the same issue last week...I was sitting in traffic and the next thin I know my bike throws up coolant all over the street.

I took it back home and took off all the plastics and noticed that my overflow was bone dry.

I poured coolant into the overflow tube to the full line and let the bike run for 30 minutes and I would hear the fan kick on/off but it never overflowed again. I will try driving it back into work this week and see if it still has issues but I was thinking I may need to replace the thermostat or water pump.

Mine is a 1999 busa.

I actually fixed it last night and was going to reply back today. Replacing the thermostat did the trick. Remember to also fill the radiator to the top as well as the overflow or else the fan won't turn on and it will still overheat. Thanks for your help everyone!

So if your thermostat is messed up, your fan will not kick on? My fan stopped working, so I wired it direct. Have had a few times that antifreeze came out after turning bike off. Did not register really hot on guage, a little over half. My cap seems ok and all lines look great. Was just curious if that is why I am heating up to much and fan does not kick in. I guess the thermostat could be half closed and not allowing full flow to radiator?

So if your thermostat is messed up, your fan will not kick on? My fan stopped working, so I wired it direct. Have had a few times that antifreeze came out after turning bike off. Did not register really hot on guage, a little over half. My cap seems ok and all lines look great. Was just curious if that is why I am heating up to much and fan does not kick in. I guess the thermostat could be half closed and not allowing full flow to radiator?
I know next to nothing about any of this but it was explained to me that your fan will not kick on if the thermo is bad. I saw it first hand. This probably goes without saying but I didn't think of it....make sure that both your overflow and radiator are filled with anti-freeze or else the fan will not turn on as well. Being the newb that I am, after replacing the thermostat I only filled the overflow to the full line but not the radiator so the fan didn't kick on and the bike overheated again. Once I filled both up (and after replacing the thermostat of course), all was well.

I know next to nothing about any of this but it was explained to me that your fan will not kick on if the thermo is bad.   I saw it first hand.  This probably goes without saying but I didn't think of it....make sure that both your overflow and radiator are filled with anti-freeze or else the fan will not turn on as well.  Being the newb that I am, after replacing the thermostat I only filled the overflow to the full line but not the radiator so the fan didn't kick on and the bike overheated again.  Once I filled both up (and after replacing the thermostat of course), all was well.
Thanks, I am going to try the thermostat.

I replaced the Thermo and the water pump on my 1999 busa and it still is overheating.

All of the hoses are ok, the fan works, the radiator is good.

Any suggestions?

Can't you still have this problem if there is air in the cooling system? It seems I read somewhere here that you have to fill up the radiator, slosh things around, fill it up some more, etc. I had some overheat problems that were sporatic after I changed the coolant for the first time.

I did this little process of making sure I was working the coolant through the system until it was full - not overfull - but where it's supposed to be and I've never had the problem again.

This is probably not that answer but thought I'd throw it out there for ya.

Hi All,
I am new here and really don't know where to put this post.
I decided to change idle to 1000rpm this afternoon; I did not know that my thermostat isn't working, so after 7 min or so - big bang, lots of noise, steam and water. Can I ride it to workshop which is 8 min away?, How difficult is it to check what gone wrong. Do I have to take all fairing off?
Please help, love my bike and now I am really worry that something could be damaged.
thx

Oh crap??? Big Bang. You could have damaged the engine. Need to strip her down, check your lines, radiator, reservoir. Put antifreeze in her. Hopefully you did not damage her. I would not ride it to the shop, if you don't feel right working on her, take her in a truck. You can do some serious damage letting her overheat like that.

Ahhh the post is from 4 months ago. Newbie posted in here about bike problem this week :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Back