FORK SEAL REPLACEMENT

You do not have to break down the whole Fork to do the fork seals and oil. If you are just doing seals and oil take the fork apart remove all the old oil then replace old seals with new ones and the replace oil and slap them back together.
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

Rubber2burn is correct.... I just did this a couple of weeks ago...I take it you are using CAT3's tutorial-

DO NOT remove the actuator inside the bottom portion of the fork--- there is no need for this. You will just empty out all the old oil and pump the actuator arm a few times to work all the old oil out of it also.. you will replace the seals and dust cover in the upper fork portion... then refill with new oil (be sure to work ALL the air out of the actuator) and put it back together!! Be really careful not to damage the new seal and dust cover when you put the upper and lower forks back together.
thumb_up.gif

So I only have to pull the top of the fork off and turn the lower upside down to drain the oil and install new seals and put it back together? this is one thing I dont wanna mess up is the front suspention. and I dont trust the shop to do it correctly.

So I only have to pull the top of the fork off and turn the lower upside down to drain the oil and install new seals and put it back together? this is one thing I dont wanna mess up is the front suspention. and I dont trust the shop to do it correctly.
Yes that is all you have to do just pump the internal part to get out all the old oil do the same when you put in the new oil to remove all the air. Also apply a little grease to your fork seal not the dust cover just the seal makes it go in a little easier. Make sure you put the proper amount of oil back in the tube I think it is supposed to be something like 93mm from the top of the tube the service manual gives the correct messurement so double check that 93mm figure.

Thanks guys Ive gone over everything acouple of times and i think Ive got it down. Just have to build the tools and wait for Race_Techs ordering page to start working so I can order the seals and oil. Thanks again for all the input and help.

Busaone,

Follow your usermanual and CAT3's write-up and you will be fine...I strongly suggest getting a second pair of hands to help you as well....In CAT3's write-up, he mentions about how to use a mark on the rebound rod to gauge "how much" fork oil to go back in with... I just put the oil capacity that it calls out for in the manual..I just couldn't figure out how he was doing it with the "mark." So, the manual calls out for 16.2 ounces of fluid per fork.... make sure you get all the air out of the system though...follow what the manual and cat's write-up says and you'll be fine.... you will need to make the spring compression tool and a stop plate to wedge under the lock nut on the actuator rod though....

Also, check with Charles here on the board....STREET & TRACK IMPORT one of our board sponsors...He hooked me up with very good prices on both the seals and dust covers....check with him or one of our ohter sponsors- they know our busa needs and will hook you up bro..
thumb_up.gif

Back