replacing the thermostat

Similar problem here.
My temp guage does work, goes to red on the guage & anti-freeze spills on the ground, and the fan does not come on?
Fuse is good, maybe I'm low on coolant?

This doesn't make sense to me, "The fan will not work if you are low on coolant".

Similar problem here.
My temp guage does work, goes to red on the guage & anti-freeze spills on the ground, and the fan does not come on?
Fuse is good, maybe I'm low on coolant?

This doesn't make sense to me, "The fan will not work if you are low on coolant".
don't be a cheap bastid and order the thermo. which runs you about $20 before you hurt your motor. it is an easy swap out. lift tank and look directly behind the t-bodies near the hinge for the gas tank dead center. if i recall, you will have to bleed a bit of your system to get below the thermo so you don't get anti freeze all over the place. you will seee 2 bolts holding your thermo. :thumbsup:

First, is your fan turning on when it gets hot. If your fan turns on, then the thermostat is working.

If the fan doesn't turn on, check the fuse first. It may only be a blown fuse.

Hey Chuck,

There is a "Thermal Switch" that goes into the radiator, which turns on the fan when the bike reaches a certain temp :thumbsup:

There is also a "Thermostat" which is mounted on the back of the engine, under the throttle bodies. It controls the flow of water/coolant through out the engine. If the thermostat is bad, then the water/coolant can't circulate through out the engine...the engine then overheats :beerchug:

I had overheating problem first time today. Gauge into red, red light on, coolant venting from overflow. Returned to bike 4hours later and started and run fine but temp rising when not moving, no fan kicks on. Ill try replacement thermostat after checking fuse.

Back