Rental Cars???

TonyMastodon

Big Blue Burrito!
Registered
Im flying into Austin on the 22nd of Dec. Ive NEVER had to rent a rental car before since ive always had friends pick me up. But im flying in to surprise my grandma (found out she might have lung cancer)..

What companies do you guys prefer to rent from???

When I use to travel on business I would rent from Avis. I had a corporate contract though so I don't know what their normal rates are like. :beerchug:

enterprise is pretty good man. check for weekend specials, all the major rental companies will be at the airport.

priceline.com, name your own price; you'll get a car at the airport and it will be MUCH cheaper than going through the companies directly. Name your own price, I'd bet you could get a mid-size car for $33/day. That's what I usually get in Denver.

Everytime I priceline in Denver it's with Budget/Enterprise.

Fingers crossed for your grandma.

I've rented a lot of cars from a lot of companies and never really had any significant issues. Hertz in Tulsa once charged me a fueling fee even though I refueled the car before returning it. They corrected that error once it was brought to their attention (save any fuel receipt).

Don't let any of them talk you into their "fueling option". You basically pay whatever rate they set for a full tank of gas...even if you only use 1/4 tank.

I once got a car from Budget that had the old manual crank up and down windows and no cruise control. This was an isolated event.

Here's a lesson I learned that I'll share with everyone...don't ever reserve the cheapest car that appears on Expedia, Orbitz, etc...particularly not in a high volume tourist location.

A few years back I found myself standing in line for almost an hour waiting my turn at the rental car counter at SFO. I believe it was Hertz for this trip, but I don't recall. I could see that every other car rental company had no one standing in line, or at most perhaps one person.

Upon reaching the rental counter, I commented on the long wait. The agent replied "We see this all the time. It's all about who had the cheapest rate online. Sometimes it's us, sometimes it's Budget, sometimes it's Avis. Whoever had the cheapest rate will have the line you just stood in."

Never again. The difference in rental rates between whomever I used and the second least expensive was about a dollar. My time has value far beyond that. As a result, I learned that day not to go with the cheapest quote...the second cheapest has potential to be a much better deal.

i normally go with whoever has the car with the most power and the strongest transmission. enterprise has Tundras. the trannys dont hold up.. dont get it :whistle:

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like my company has an enterprise account i may be able to use. Texas here i come :p

If you are booking your ticket with Priceline, they often have smoking deals on rentals.. *I have had airfare and a car cheaper than just the airfare... not sure how that happens but they package it up.. FTW to OKC was 500+ for airfare, airfare W/car was 418... go figure..

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like my company has an enterprise account i may be able to use. Texas here i come :p

Wow, you're not going to know what to think leaving the torrential down-pouring. Fifth wave on its way.

I hope your Grandmother isn't in a lot of pain. My thoughts for you and her special time together, Tony!

Be safe.

Hertz many times, enterprise... Go with Hertz see if you can still get a pimped up Mustang?

Otherwise I pick by who has the most interesting car. Enterprise has Jags in some areas stuff like that. Make it a little entertaining.

OR

Find the smallest tiniest little popcan you can find, think Toyota Yaris. Rent it, save money and enjoy driving around in something completely silly....

I use National every week at least once a week, no lie, I've rented something close to 85cars so far this year :whistle:

Not sure what the rate you find is, but my advice is sign up for the "loyalty" program for which ever and rent through that. Often you'll find a discount through them directly and you might get an upgrade. On the bright side almost always you can just walk out, get your car and roll without all the extra bull poop:thumbsup:

I actually just returned a car at AUS, when you arrive the rental places are across from the same level you arrive at but the baggage is downstairs, just FYI :beerchug:

Most are pretty comparable, Also depends on the car you want.

Rent any of them, Just dont buy a rental, Especially after Ive rented it ( Im just sayin :whistle: )

Most are pretty comparable, Also depends on the car you want.

Rent any of them, Just dont buy a rental, Especially after Ive rented it ( Im just sayin :whistle: )

I think I got one of yours week before last then, damn passenger seat alarm was going off, no one or anything in it just kept buzzing :whistle:

actually I drive them like I stole them too :laugh:

most only accept credit cards , and few accept debit cards if you are flying in. avis debit card rule is 600 credit score or no go. enterprise is only if flying in with ticket and power and phone bill 0 balance proof.

Alamo has always taken good care of me.. You may discover that the time of your pick-up and drop off will have a major effect on the rate quoted. This is even if you actually pick up earlier or later than the reserved time. You can save a ton of money by shifting the times an hour or two one way or the other when you make your online reservation.

Back