Removing the Evap System

DeermeetBusa

Registered
Hello, I have a Cali bike but live in a non-restricted emmisions area in oregon. Has anyone removed there evap system (charcoal canister+tubing) sucessfully? I want to remove it in a way so I can put it back if I ever sell my baby...which will probably never happen unless I go with the new 2008 model. Busas Rock!
egitarre77.gif
I did a search on this but didnt find anything. The one thing Im worried about is a valve mentioned in the manuel that stops gas from leaking if the bike is tipped over. Thanks for any help!

Thats new one on me. I haven't read anything hear YET on this! I am sure someone will get here soon and tell you how. Good luck and ... Bump

(DeermeetBusa @ Dec. 01 2006,19:39) Hello, I have a Cali bike but live in a non-restricted emmisions area in oregon. Has anyone removed there evap system (charcoal canister+tubing) sucessfully? I want to remove it in a way so I can put it back if I ever sell my baby...which will probably never happen unless I go with the new 2008 model. Busas Rock!  
egitarre77.gif
 I did a search on this but didnt find anything. The one thing Im worried about is a valve mentioned in the manuel that stops gas from leaking if the bike is tipped over. Thanks for any help!
I'd leave it alone....the cali bikes rated the same hp as the 49 stater, and any weight savings is going to be negligable. It'll prolly just be wasted effort. I also have a cali bike in a non-emissions area but I'm not gonna bother with it. I'm gonna ride instead
wink.gif

Ya know, If you keep playing with that thing, it'll fall off
SHOCKED.gif
  Leave it alone!

(psycobusa @ Dec. 01 2006,23:30) i was always under the impression that you gain a couple of hp by removing it
rock.gif
Nope

It's ony a vapor control system...does not rob any power.

Yup-- catches vapors (hydrocarbons ) from the fuel tank and scrubs them through charcoal
Will not make a difference on or off in power
I had to remove mine to mount my alarm
flamethrowingsmiley.gif

Because of the stuff needed in the tank the Cali bikes hold .5 gal less fuel. When I switched paint my new tank was non-Cali so I took the canister and related valves and tubing off and routed the two rear hoses like a 49 state bike. Didn't notice any difference in power but have the additional .5 gal fuel capacity now.
all_coholic.gif

Just curious, always wanting to know more
tounge.gif

if its just to remove excess fuel vapors from the tank, why does it send a vacuum(I think its a vacuum line) line to each throttle body??

The Cali model bike has extra ?vacuum? lines.  They're the bigger ones with wire spring clamps.  Just above the vacuum sensor lines indicated by red arrows.
post-24-23208-tb_synch_004.jpg

Charles -- thats actually "ported" vacuum -- it works backwards from regular vacuum -- it increases with load vs vaccum which decreases
while running, the vapors from the fuel tank get burned by being sucked in to the throttlebodies and bypassing the canister
on some cars if you over fill the tank you will soak the charcoal canister and then when running you are pulling enough fumes to make the car run really rich and foul plugs ect .

The PAIR system on the other hand injects air into each cyl under load and decel to reduce combustion temperatures and dropping the NOX (pollution) count

(xzvs @ Dec. 02 2006,18:40) Charles -- thats actually "ported" vacuum -- it works backwards from regular vacuum -- it increases with load vs vaccum which decreases
while running, the vapors from the fuel tank get burned by being sucked in to the throttlebodies and bypassing the canister
So when the bike isn't running the canister takes care of the vapors.

And when the bike is running, the canister is by-passed and the vapors are sucked into the throttle bodies and burned in the cylinders.

hmmmm

Charles

When you shut off your bike, the fumes get stored in the charcoal canister...when you start it up again, they get sucked into the engine.

There can be fumes from the throttle bodies also
wink.gif

Think of it as a closed system...anywhere fuel can vent, it goes to the canister...then on a restart, it gets burned in the engine
biggrin.gif

(BA BUSA @ Dec. 02 2006,20:05) Charles

When you shut off your bike, the fumes get stored in the charcoal canister...when you start it up again, they get sucked into the engine.

There can be fumes from the throttle bodies also
wink.gif

Think of it as a closed system...anywhere fuel can vent, it goes to the canister...then on a restart, it gets burned in the engine
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

got it now
super.gif

I know this is an old school post....but I'm prepping my Gixx for racing and getting rid of any un-needed parts, like the evap carbon canister, which makes putting on fiberglass race tails difficult.

I plan on running a fuel hose-maybe a polyurethane hose, from the spout of the fuel tank breather straight into the joint that reclaims the vapors into the throttlebodies. has anyone re-routed the hose that way? Is this how a 49 state model looks?

click me for larger detail

basically routing the #1 part to the #22 part and tossing (ebay) the canister.

Back