Removing stickers off of Tank

I didnt plan on removing the vin# - just the "make sure you bike is in the on position before you try and start it" stickers.

Thanks again for all your help!

I was actually going to do the same thing that critterdoc suggested! My guy at the dealership told me the glue used to apply the stickers is oil based as is WD-40 and it won't make a mess/melt the plastic parts.

Also In Canada we're told that if we plan on taking the bike to the US (and presumable back) it'd be best to keep the VIN # on as to prove the bike was purchased in Canada.

-David

I was actually going to do the same thing that critterdoc suggested! My guy at the dealership told me the glue used to apply the stickers is oil based as is WD-40 and it won't make a mess/melt the plastic parts.

Also In Canada we're told that if we plan on taking the bike to the US (and presumable back) it'd be best to keep the VIN # on as to prove the bike was purchased in Canada.

-David

-David
Splitting hairs here I know, but your bloke at the dealership is entirely wrong.

By "oil based" he means carbon based, or organic.

WD40 is silicone based, which is why it rarely reacts with anything organic, but still dissolves carbon based compounds.

Sorry...I was an organic chemist before I went to vet school.

-David
Splitting hairs here I know, but your bloke at the dealership is entirely wrong.

By "oil based" he means carbon based, or organic.

WD40 is silicone based, which is why it rarely reacts with anything organic, but still dissolves carbon based compounds.

Sorry...I was an organic chemist before I went to vet school.
FYI: WD40 is not silicone based
shutup.gif

Main ingredients, from the material safety data sheet, are:

50%: Stoddard solvent (mineral spirits, somewhat similar to, but not the same as, kerosene)
25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant, carbon dioxide is used now to reduce considerable flammability)
15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
10-%: Inert ingredients (still rumored that this is composed of fish oils)

Back