Removing Reflectors

Liquidous

Registered
Sorry guys, i have to write in, i spent about an hour trying to remove the rear red reflectors. one screw comes out easy, the other, i can't budge it if my life depended on it.

how do you get at it?

i can get a grip on the screw with a philips screw driver but its not budging, either one of them (left or right side)

thanks

I know that one is a beeehotch! My 2000 model came right off but the 03 was trouble. I started to cut it with the dremel and it got hot and melted the plastic til it fell out. You could remove the whole tail section, humbug...
blush.gif

Remove the rear section ! This sounds hard to to, but its not.
First remove the seat or hump whichever is on. After you pull it off you will see the top of two phillip head screws and two bolt head screw on the inside perimeter rear of the tail where the hump or seat would have rested.
Next, pull the little black caps from the frankin stein bungy bolts that mount on the side of the rear section. These funny looking bolts are used for holding down a cargo net on the rear seat for junk (helmet,Jacket etc.) you cant or dont wont to put inside the trunk area.
Onec you located them use your fingernail to remove the black caps. Once the black caps have removed you'll notice it only take a allen wrench to remove the frankin stien bolts. Next remove the two bolts that are located directly below the front seat area on both side of the rear section . Next and finally the little black rivets on the underside of the rear section. Just push the center of these little do dads and this will release their hold. Ok, one more step, disconnect the trunk cable from the latch. Please put tape over this area when you remove the cable, so that you dont install the seat or hump back on.

The rear reflectors have bolts holding them, sometimes they will just spin and you cant get then off. The tail section comes off real easy.

1.Remove front seat and rear seat/hump.
2.Pop the 6 plastic rivits along the underside of tail section.
-push the center in to release them
3.Pop one or both of the plastic rivets that are holding the center of the fairing together (they would be located under where the front seat sits.
4.Remove the 4 bolts that hold the grab bar.
5.Remove the 2 tie downs...5mm allen wrench
6.Remove the 2 phillips head screws in the center of the rubber bushings.

Now, you should be able to spead the tailsection and pull slightly to the rear and lift up. Becareful of the wiring harness for the tail light and signals.

To reinstall the plastic rivets. Push the center pin back throught the head so it sticks out about 1/4 inch or so. Put the rivet beack into the hole, then push the center pin flush to the head...you will hear it lock.

Hope this helps....I did this from memory, so I'm sorry if I forgot anything. But it should get you well on the way.

Well, looks like Rhythm beat me to it.....

but I did forget to mention the trunk cable
wink.gif

Good point about the tape as a reminder to hook up the cable.

Looks like we got it covered.

<!--EDIT|flynjay
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119204599 -->

Hope this helps....I did this from memory, so I'm sorry if I forgot anything[/QUOTE]

Yours is better than mine, flynjay
wow.gif
.  I forgot to mention removing the front seat and the other two rear bolts. Since I dont use the rear grab bar this is why it probably slip my mind.

Nice save !
super.gif

Two heads are betta than ONE !

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119204917 -->

Had to laugh when I read this thread. Exact same thing happened to me so I just assumed I was getting weak in my old age! HA! Anyway, good read. Charlesbusa told me about this a few days ago also; I'll get to it today! Is there a more informative busa site on the net?? I doubt it! ;)

I just used an L-shaped phillips. It broke loose easily! Or use a phiilips head bit (tip) in a socket wrench - it's all about torque.

Not necessary to take the tail off, but definitely a lot less stressful if you do. I know from experience.

I just put my fingernail behind the screw head with some downward force to unscrew it. I still have the plastic in the tail section though.

Removed the tail section and got it off. It was a beyootch though!

heck i plan on changing undertils anyway, its comes out with a tug and a turn. i only had a prob with one nut. the other 3 came out easy.

Dang, guess I'm lucky. All 4 of mine came out easy!

My reflectors where a breeze to remove. Didnt have to take the tail off either...

just loosen each a lil bit at a time and pull down on the rear reflectorz... and when that stopd workin i just used my fingers to unscrew um and pulld down and spun them slowly :p and i just gave her some good taps on the plastic to get the nuts out. Non chain side was a lil tougher to get the nuts out since it was leaning the opposite way.

the rear nuts and bolts also work out well 4 license plate mounting devieces that will not rust
smile.gif

Back