Removing oil from cooler during oil change.

(GENII)

The last oil change went over my 2300 mile limit, so I decided I wanted to remove all the oil I possibly could.
I always remove the 2 allen head bolts that hold the oil cooler line onto the engine block to make it easier to remove the filter. Well this time I blew about 15PSI of air pressure into the line causing oil to come out the engine block. When I refilled my crankecase without doing this it holds around 3.75 qaurts to put the oil in the middle on the site glass. This time it took every bit of the 4 qaurts to acheive the same fill level.

Anyone else remove the old oil from the cooler when changing the oil :dunno:

Hint: If you are going to do this also on your next oil change be sure not to exceed 15 PSI of air pressure when blowing the line and use some type of deflector to direct the oil into the drain pan to prevent oil spraying out on you when most of the oil has been removed, dont ask me why just trust me. :banghead:

Fully understand/agree with the logic behind your efforts. In fact, I have been wanting to try this on my other bike (not sure if there is an application for Busas though)

hmmmm. Interesting. Too much work at every change for me. I just change mine every 3k to keep it up to snuff.

to much work? LOL!! 2 bolts and a blow with an air gun? Come on arent you the guy that also paints his bike, sands inner panels?

I dont have an air compressor and in a parking lot with no access to one close by. Too much work for me at my present level of resources :laugh:

Guess I could take it to the hobby shop but that requires paying for a bay.... :poke:

Reactions: Zee
So tell me when you remove the oil line, are you replacing the O-ring??

Fully understand/agree with the logic behind your efforts. In fact, I have been wanting to try this on my other bike (not sure if there is an application for Busas though)

That is almost like a T-Tech Transmission service if I understood it properly. I am guessing I removed about 6OZ. of oil by removing the oil from the cooler.

60 oz of liquid almost equals 2 quarts. 1.87 ...... I believe. I've put a lot of miles on vehicles, never had an engine fail. I do change my oil hot for a good drain, but doubt I'll go this route, but that's just me .....

So, how much oil does it take to "contaminate" the new oil? Has it been tested and proved in a lab? That being said, you will never get it all out unless there is a tear down. I've ridden many miles and have never evacuated all the oil from the system on any of my bikes & Never had an oil/engine issue or failure.
Is it cool in theory? Yep, is it a gimmick? :dunno: Will I be spending money on one? Probably not.

Speaking of oil cooler o-rings....

I am putting full exhaust on my 1K. I had to loosen the radiator, and take off one side of the oil cooler to get the header off. Surprised at how much oil is in the cooler. I am hoping that I won't need a new o-ring....GixxerHP, what say you?

P.S. BTW, would you recommend using the old exhaust gaskets or putting in new ones?

P.S. BTW, would you recommend using the old exhaust gaskets or putting in new ones?

My 2 cents: get new gaskets to avoid the PITA of doing everything all over again if you get an exhaust leak. Best of luck.

Sorry for threadjack, I sure hope I haven't bit off more than I can chew!!!

IMG_1365.jpg

Sorry for threadjack, I sure hope I haven't bit off more than I can chew!!!

Nope, did the same with my 1K and hayabusa, I did replace the $.50 oil cooler gaskets. The last thing you want is a grain of sand or imperfection there. I put a SS oil cooler line on the Hayabusa because 1, got tired of removing it to easily remove the oil filter w/ the new header and 2, got tired of replacing the o ring. They are rubber and get brittle from all the heat cycles.

Nope, did the same with my 1K and hayabusa, I did replace the $.50 oil cooler gaskets. The last thing you want is a grain of sand or imperfection there. I put a SS oil cooler line on the Hayabusa because 1, got tired of removing it to easily remove the oil filter w/ the new header and 2, got tired of replacing the o ring. They are rubber and get brittle from all the heat cycles.

Could you provide a link or more info on the oil cooler line that you used? Thinking about doing this on my next change.

G'Day Folks,

LankeeYankee, I was confronted with the same thought, when I recently wanted do a Complete oil change on my 2020 Hayabusa.
I went about this in a different way.
I first machined up a fitting, similar to one of those Blanking Off plates, that are commercially available.
I then fitted a 1/4" barb to it and bolted it to the oil cooler hose (where it attaches to the block), to the right of the oil filter.
I then placed some new engine oil, in the reservoir, of a manually opperated hand pump, and pumped this New oil thru the oil cooler, and pushed the Old oil, back into the engine, from where it drained out of the engine.

Problem solved.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer

G'Day Folks,

LankeeYankee, I was confronted with the same thought, when I recently wanted do a Complete oil change on my 2020 Hayabusa.
I went about this in a different way.
I first machined up a fitting, similar to one of those Blanking Off plates, that are commercially available.
I then fitted a 1/4" barb to it and bolted it to the oil cooler hose (where it attaches to the block), to the right of the oil filter.
I then placed some new engine oil, in the reservoir, of a manually opperated hand pump, and pumped this New oil thru the oil cooler, and pushed the Old oil, back into the engine, from where it drained out of the engine.

Problem solved.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer
A great idea!
But if you hover your (computer) mouse over the OP's avatar, you'll notice they haven't been on the site for a few years. Plus they were banned. I have no idea how to do this on a phone.

[EDIT] but don't let that stop you from posting!

@HomerOz

i guess the idea to rinse the busa´s oil cooler with fresh oil in general isn´t the worst one.
especially at the busa where the oil can´t flow out if the cooler stays at its place while oilchange because its hoses are mounted at its top.
the reason in my view is that over the years and years a kind of oil-mud could clogg the cooler and its cooling performance is likely to decrease.

but the rinsing i suppose is only necessary after a bigger milage - i would say after 70000 km / 50000 mi
IF
the owner followed the maintenace intervals oil-change after 6-9000 km
to rinse could be a good idea if the bike is pre-owned and you as the new owner want to be 100% save.

(other coolers with hoses connected at the cooler buttom won´t have that problem i would say ;) )

Back