Removing Ignition

Mikey D

Registered
Let me be the first to say, this was really dumb!

With all the BS going on (Adding an addition, not having a bedroom, sleeping in the living room amongst boxes of our shid!) I have misplaced my Busa key!

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>ARGGGGGGGG!</span>

I am planning on taking Suzie to the Dynojet tuning Seminar this Thursday.  If I cannot find the damn key by tomorrow I'm going to have to get one made.  

Has anyone ever removed an ignition from the beast?

Does anyone know if the tail lock & the ignition have the same # of tumblers?  And if so, an easy way to remove the seat without screwing anything up?  I figure the seat lock will be an easy unscrew job as compared to messing with the ignition.

(Big sigh.)

Help.

<!--EDIT|Mikey D
Reason for Edit: None given...|1082408681 -->

Not positive Mikey but I believe the rear users fewer tumblers. Also, I think if you call a locksmith they can make you a key without removing the ignition. If you have the little 'tab' that came with your original keys you can get a new key ordered from the dealer, but prolly not in time for your dyno session.

I think they are different.... Removing the ignition is not hard, but very time consuming! You have to unplug the wire harness up front. Remove the Head nut, which should give you access to the handle bar bracket, steering stem upper bracket, & ignition switch. Remove the steering stem nut (might take a special tool) lock nut & washer, be really carefull placing your hand under the lower Steering stem bracket (be ready to catch this when it comes undone). Next remove the Ignition switch with a torx bit........  Be really carefull you don't lose anything (besides your key!) Reverse order to put Humpty Dumpty back again...

Hope I didn't forget anything, I've only done this once and it wasn't on a Busa (Old GSXR1100)

Thanks Hat and h2o!

But at this moment I must sing the praises to my wife.

She found the key!

Yeah!!!

It was in a shoe!

WTF???

Praise to my wife, the 8th wonder of my world!

Mikey D,

I am a locksmith, and they can do several things for you. 1) you may have a code located on your bike or in your owner's manual that will allow them to cut you a replacement key by code.

2) They can impression a key for you but they will have to travel to your bike.

3) Yes the secondary locks on your bike should have fewer tumblers in them than the ignition however, they will be similar cuts so that your ignition key should operate your secondary locks (i.e. fork locks, seat compartments saddlebags etc. )

Finally, this is not going to be cheap. You are going to have to pay real good money to get a key "originated" for you. The experience will be unpleasant but you'll never do it again. ;-)

I don't personally recommend removing the ignition, but if you do, it will allow you to carry the ignition in to a locksmith and they can work the magic that way. It might save you a buck or two, but I don't recommend you do it while you are still frustrated. Where are you located, I'm connected internationally with locksmiths I can probably point you in the right direction. I would tear up your house looking for that key tho before you go to a locksmith first. (could be talking anywhere from $75 - $150 smackers to get that key re-made depending on your area - so it's worth a few more looks around the house!)

hope this helps, feel free to e-mail me with any questions.

Couple more things:

1) John Blankenship of motorcyclekeys.com (an icon to locksmiths) can cut keys for you by code (and guide you to said codes on you bike) he charges $25.00 for the first key and $5.00 each one after that - i do strongly recommend you get to while you are at it. here's a link to his site but I think he's on vacation. He's a good guy tho, he wrote all the books the rest of us locksmiths use for motorcycle locksmithing.

http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/keys.html

2) If the motorcycle locksmith Guru is only charging $25 to do a key by code, you can bet few other locksmiths will charge more than that. I don't have a code machine anymore or I''d hook you up, just wasn't worth it when I closed down my regular locksmith biz.

also you can visit

http://www.internet-locksmith.com (or use the link from my site)
and go find a locksmith in your area who can help you get rolling again.

okay hope this helps ya.

She found the key!

Yeah!!!

It was in a shoe!
i was going to suggest looking there, but figured you would have already done that.
wink.gif
laugh.gif

anyway, glad you (well, she) found it!! now get a dupl. cut and stash it in your leathers for the next time she hides it on you.. errr, you can't find it!
smile.gif

Back