Reliability of Aftermarket cams?

Hence a cam is a heat treated piece of steel.A Yosh cam is machined from a fresh billet then heat treated to obtain maximum hardness.When you take an exsiting cam shaft weld it machine it and then reheat it you are actually changing its structure and making it weaker.You can only affectively heat treat steel once without changinging its molecular structure...making it more brittle and weakening it.Or at least that what the guys at the plant`s welding shop say.Im not a metalurgist but I`ve heard this before.

But........That is for you to decide which is best for you.

Frank how are things going on the new motor, well I hope. You are a pioneer and I hope you find gold this time.

Frank Adams the "Prospector of Power"

Jay,

All of the Yosh cams I've installed were regrinds. Maybe the new ones are different. On the 'R's you can see the original Suzuki markings.

I have a rocker 'R' apart right now. Stage 2 yosh cams. Hardface rockers...the intake lobes are starting to pit at the peak. Where most pressure is of course. Exhaust is fine...less lift. 2K miles, only Mobil 1 bike oil. No top end oil kit...will have one when it goes back together. No sign of wear on rockers. All bearings are perfect.

Main bearing problems on FZR's? Cranks flex/break over 160 rwhp when used hard...

Dave

Jay,

My mistake...the yosh cams are made from blanks in Japan. I thought they were regrinds since they had the OEM markings on them. They are brand new from billets. Just wanted to clear that up.

Dave

The Yosh Hayabusa cams are made in Japan, not welded in the US, the warranty card is all japanese. These are Yosh-Japan products.

see;polymer strands and thier shier strength. transmition and gear mesh areas make that little bitty valve load pale by comparison thats why convetional petrol. based oils are not recomended.because they chop up thier weaker strands.plus there is the heat tolerance issue on bikes.have seen petrols finest turn to burnt pudding in air cooled farm used equipment.drag bikes although extreem in loads thier use is short time.f1 and endurance is a better comparison

Back