Reinstalling Oil Cooler

Jeremy112113

Registered
When I bought my bike, the oil cooler was already removed due to a leak in the oil cooler line and the previous owner breaking off the screw into the oil cooler itself. He ended up throwing it out, installing block offs, and removing the restrictor behind the oil filter. I do have the restrictor that he removed as well as the mounting hardware for the oil cooler. I was planning on purchasing an oil cooler off of eBay and installing it. My main question is, is there a way to ensure that there is no foreign material inside the cooler? Any suggested ways of cleaning it out or testing that the oil flows properly? Thanks everyone in advance.

As far as I know, it has passages like a radiator or heater core. I guess you could run solvent through it to flush anything and then maybe blow air through it? One of the rebuilders here has probably been down this road.

As far as I know, it has passages like a radiator or heater core. I guess you could run solvent through it to flush anything and then maybe blow air through it? One of the rebuilders here has probably been down this road.

Thank you for the reply. Yeah, I was thinking of something to the extent of that. Ive had the cooler sitting in my garage for some time now. It's filled with oil and taped off. As far as cleaning, I was thinking like maybe flushing with water, air, and brake cleaner. But I definitely wanted to hear from this forum first lol

Why are you wanting to reinstall it?
I guess to have that sense of security. I always see mixed opinions on the matter. I know turbo guys take them off, and I remember reading that someone had over 80000 miles without an oil cooler since day one. What is the general consensus on having one?

I took mine off when I put a sidewinder on, but it's not really a street bike. I'll say this: I've never heard of any issues related to not running one. Sense of security is a legit concern, I just don't think this matters. There will always be those who advise on the more conservative side, and it has merit. Just depends on what you want to do...

I do the same with oil coolers and transmission coolers as I do heater cores.
Before installing, I tape or plug one end(even cover it with your thumb), submerge it completely in a 5 gallon bucket of water, and blow compressed air through the open end(gently, not trying to make it explode, lol).
If there are any pin holes, you'll see air bubbles.
Better to find any leaks before installing them.
Also flush an oil cooler well with oil after to make sure All the moisture is out.

Back