Oil cooler blockoffs. Remove oil restrictor?

Draco1340

Registered
There is a restrictor plug in back of the oil filter that helps route much of the oil (not all) through the oil cooler. I have removed the oil cooler and installed block off plates, but have heard different things on the restrictor. Should it be removed, or drilled out to a larger size. Otherwise the oiling system is stock.

I pulled mine. most of the people I know that have blockoffs or bypasses remove them. I dont know that it's absolutly necessary, but Id like to have as much flowing through the filter and not getting any restriction anywhere.

When people first moved away from the cooler bypass hose and went with the block off plates they didn't modify or remove the restrictor. As time went on more people removed the restrictor when using block off plates. Then some started drilling the restrictor hole a little bigger and leaving the plug in. Alot of people still run without the restrictor plug.

There's been no evidence of one method being better or worse than the other. I used to run a bypass hose but then to clean things up I run block off plates and no restrictor plug. I haven't had any problems and others with the same setup who make a ton more hp (turbo folks) haven't had problems either.

Back