Red/Black '05, Finally!

Sweet Ride!
Congrats on getting The Fastest Color busa!

welcome to the madness
smile.gif

IMG_2222.jpg

The following are my opinions to a couple of posts I have read on this board:

Question #1: Should I wait for an updated model (2006, etc.)?

If you keep waiting, you will never own one. Also, I don't like to buy the first model year of anything due to past experience in doing so. The current model has been out long enough to be rock solid. The list of ergonomic and performance mods for the current model are extensive also. You can make this bike into whatever you want, sport tourer, drag bike, show bike, etc. If Suzuki totally revamps the Busa in 2006, I will be as thrilled as anyone else, but I will trade for one in 2007. There are enough drag racers and others out there to help my 2005 model hold its value.

Question #2: Will this bike wheelie or how do I wheelie my Busa?

I wheelied my Gold Wing on occasion by bouncing it it first gear. I was looking forward to getting the Busa so I could do extended wheelies and get back into shifting gears in the air like I had done on dirtbikes in my younger days. Then I read so many posts regarding how to wheelie the Busa that I got the idea that it took some special skill to get it up. When I got one, I had to ask, you are kidding, right? Hold it wide open in 1st gear and try to keep the front wheel on the ground. If you can, you need to go looking for stickier pavement because I can't and my bike is stock at this point. By letting off the throttle to let the forks compress and then getting back on the throttle hard at rebound, the bike does a very controllable 2nd gear wheelie. If you can't get this bike up in a wheelie, you are not being aggressive enough with the throttle or you are shifting your weight or something else is causing the bike to loose traction.

Question #3: Is a Hayabusa right for me?

There are too many details for anyone to give a yes or no answer to that question. But, this bike is a pussy cat if you treat the throttle with respect. I believe anyone with basic motorcycle experience can ride this bike safely if they ride it without trying to hotrod. The danger in riding this bike occurs because it will gain excessive speeds so quickly that things happen too fast and other vehicles and stationary objects approach too quickly. You also have to exercise throttle control when you are leaned into a curve or while coming out of a corner. The long wheelbase of this bike makes straight-line acceleration, even during wheel spin, very controlled, but it will get away from you very quickly otherwise.

Comment: Suzuki used stickers for some of the color on the 2005 model instead of paint.

True, but I am not sure that the sticker material is not more durable than the paint. A button on my coat chipped a place on my tank sometime during my first 50 miles. I had a GL1800 Goldwing that cost almost twice as much and the paint wasn't any better on it. Maybe Honda should have used sticker material in certain areas?

I am now going on to one of my other hobbies, whitetail deer hunting.

Later...

Congatulations, nice looking bike. I just got off the phone with my suzuki dealer checking to see if my new busa was here yet. 66 degrees here today , don't get too many of these days around here in December.anyway nice bike.

You have to push down pretty hard with your foot and pull on the handlebars to get the bike on the centerstand with the hump on and without the passenger grab rail (Did I hear someone say hump mod?).  With the grab rail installed, it is fairly easy by pushing down with your foot and pulling up and back on the grab rail and the bar in the cutout under the rear seat.

I prefer leaving the bike on the centerstand while stored since the centerstand holds most of the weight of the bike, minimum weight on forks and non on rear.
You don't need to use the grab rail.

Correct use of center stand is left hand on handlebar, right hand on left rear vent, then slowly start rolling the bike backwards a little and push down on the center stand lever with your right foot. It's much easier if you use the bike's momentum rather than trying to push down with the bike completely stationary.

Bike looks great. Congrats!
bowdown.gif
First time that I noticed that the front fender was two-toned...
cool.gif
Did anybody else notice that?
rock.gif

Love the Busa plane hanger thing...extra points for that one! This fastest color non-sense has to stop. If you look at the 05' blk/red you'll see that the faster you go the red is peeling off trying to expose the fastest colors of blk/gry.
smile.gif

Mainly for those like me that are new to the Busa, the following is a summary of my planned winter mods that I gained knowledge of by reading the posts on this site:

Kickstand mod.

Genmar 3/4" risers and Helibars to raise the handlebars.

Protek footpegs to lower the pegs and hopefully put my knees down into the contours of the tank.

Zero Gravity Sport Touring windshield.

43-tooth rear sprocket for enhanced wheelie fun.

Speedohealer to recalibrate speedometer.

BDE/Hindle Generation 3 4-into-1 exhaust.

Small airbox mod.

Power Commander with appropriate map.

Pair block-off kit.

Hump mod so the passenger grab rail is always available to aid in placing the bike on the centerstand.

I have already removed the warning stickers.

Sorry guys, but I like my reflectors.

I plan to come up with my own removable backrest option.

Ordered the Tankslapper 3M product for tank protection.  I have already scuffed rear of tank after only 150 miles.

Adjust headlight.
I thought of those 4 LED Lights in RED and Amber as reflectors, this way it is ALWAYS lited up...

Back