Rectifier swap

kairles

Donating Member
Registered
After going through 3 rectifiers in 2 years I decided to swap over to a mosfet unit. They can be found on late model Yamaha's and Kawasaki's. The one I used is off an 04/05 ZX10. The mosfet's are supposed to be more efficient.
You can read more about it HERE.

The swap is easy, some bypass the factory wiring and go directly to the battery. I used the factory wiring and just changed the connectors. Got the connectors from HERE.

used rectifier $65
dsc00014.jpg

Connectors $25
dsc00015.jpg

poped the wires out of the original connector
dsc00016.jpg

had to splice on new terminals, and every thing snaps back together
dsc00017.jpg

How I mounted it for now, rectifier is just about the same size as the original
dsc00018.jpg

Did a quick check after the install and it was sitting at 14.4v-14.5v from idle to 7k RPM. Now I just hope it last longer than the factory reg's I've had :please:

Other than the rectifier swap out, have you modified or added anything electrical on the bike ?

Great thread this. I suffered some smoke out of my Reg/rectifier on Sunday and jumped on the forum for help. I've since bought a Shindengen off eBAY - $130 including international shipping. It is a full retrofit kit with plugs and wiring etc. Wish I'd had the problem on Saturday as I had an eBay 10% discount voucher that had to be used by then. Looking forward to getting mobile again with a more reliable bike. Thanks.

Back