Rectifier relocate Tips from a Wire pro .

c10

Registered
So I received my relocate bracket in the mail . I wanted to note I make my living finding grounds/shorts/lose connections in low voltage wiring.
Anything you can do to prevent issues is KEY to less worries/being stranded with a blown main fuse . Or worse a FIRE !

The threads on bolts over time/vibration are dull knives that cut/wear the outer jacket of your wiring . Tying your tie straps to tightly to the frame
can cause ground faults . A Tie strap to a tie strap is a good way to prevent this . In other words put a strap on the frame directly . Then push a 2nd tie strap through that strap , and use the 2nd strap to hold you wiring .

Here are some pictures for you viewing pleasure .

This is bad

DSCN0553_zpstmkwhwzv.jpg

See how the rectifier pwr wires touch ?

DSCN0552_zpsvodsn2ny.jpg

Solution simply reverse the bolts like so

DSCN0554_zpsp1kybxve.jpg
DSCN0555_zps2jspevhn.jpg

In this picture I used a piece of rubber ( from under your battery on the tray ) to strap to the frame so that the Rectifier power wires will never rub to ground .

DSCN0550_zpsqy6exnqe.jpg

On a separate note it seems the later Gen II's have heiver gauge wiring/different rectifier . Looks quiet beefy compared to some I have seen .

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Nice. Thanks for sharing. Ill keep this in mind when I do mine. Glad to see the Garwood bracket was a good fit. Ill be doing mine soon, just waiting till I have time to do several projects at once. I have a wideband, log box pro, swing arm, shiftlight, and this plate to install.

So I received my relocate bracket in the mail . I wanted to note I make my living finding grounds/shorts/lose connections in low voltage wiring.
Anything you can do to prevent issues is KEY to less worries/being stranded with a blown main fuse . Or worse a FIRE !

The threads on bolts over time/vibration are dull knives that cut/wear the outer jacket of your wiring . Tying your tie straps to tightly to the frame
can cause ground faults . A Tie strap to a tie strap is a good way to prevent this . In other words put a strap on the frame directly . Then push a 2nd tie strap through that strap , and use the 2nd strap to hold you wiring .

Here are some pictures for you viewing pleasure .

This is good advice. I might need to revamp my wiring :D

Not my year model . I would have to take my tail section off again but if i remember correctly mine is 10 or 12 gauge wire . the earlier model's are from the looks 16 gauge wire

Back