Recommended break-in period??

redkat05

Dear spring....... HURRY!
Donating Member
Registered
Didn't feel like siftin through 5 pages, wanted to know before i go to work. What's the recommended break-in period? I pick up the girl tomorrow :-)

When i got my Kat last june they never informed me of a specific break-in period

Manual says, keep it below 5000 RPMs for the first 600 miles, then under 7000 RPMs up to 1000 miles, then it's wide open time. What they really mean is to NOT STAY AT A STEADY SPEED ! Keep going up and down in the gears, no real stress, and it's OK to go above 5000 during the first 600 if your passing or just going up and down in the rev range. Most important part is NOT keeping the engine at a steady RPM, as in riding mile after mile at 4000
wink.gif

so as long as i vary the rpm's n such it doesn't really matter?

then there is the "give it all she got whenever you can" method. I personally followed the book but others tell me I should have just wound it up from day one.

One thing about the Busa is you can stay under 5000 rpm and still get a speeding ticket on the highway.

good luck today and congrats

i'll probly not be able to keep it below 5,000rpm but won't go crazy either cause comin from a katana600 i'll have massive respect for this bike for sure.

i'll probly not be able to keep it below 5,000rpm but won't go crazy either cause comin from a katana600 i'll have massive respect for this bike for sure.
Good call....

My wife had the 750 Kat and there is only one way to put it, the Kat sleeps and the Bus Runs...

Be careful and it will respect you back..

Also it will help your brakes if you do not do hard or panic type stops during the first few hundred miles.

If you break it in hard just change the oil sooner. Best thing thing to do is go to a track. But if your like me i'll just be going to bfe middle of nowhere and roll the throttle up and down NO RED LINES AND PLEASE LET THE BIKE WARM UP COMPLETELY BEFORE ANYTHING.

so as long as i vary the rpm's n such it doesn't really matter?
Well it doesn't matter if kept under 7 or 9 grand and only there for a VERY short time. Remember, your streaching all the mechanical parts into their operating range. Not trying to see how far a new unstreached part will last. The heat cycles are the most important (which the up and down revs give) to new parts for making them last. Your really meshing alot of parts to conform to different parts by heating them and making them mold (well sort of) to fit tight to each other. The Transmittion parts are also getting their final shaping by your shifting also. Also remember, NONE of your parts have had any real stress put on them yet, so cycling them will increase their life ! Just Have Fun
idea.gif

This has been covered extensively, and there are many different opinions.

These are just my opinions: From day/mile one, make the engine work, do not idle it for long periods of time, bring it up to temp, then make it work. The warm up is important. Cool down is too, don't shut it off immediately after a hard run, ride it at a normal speed for 3-5 minutes, then pull in and shut it off.

I say "ride it like ya stole it", but take that with a grain of salt.

Make it work is the best way I can describe it. Change gears a lot, work the engine up and down, do not decelerate for long periods of time, some is good (oil in the cylinders), too much is bad. The oil in it from the factory has additives, use it til 750 miles like they say. Put and additional 1500 miles on it and then switch to full synthetic, the full synthetic can be too slippery to use right off the bat, and cause needle bearings to not rotate causing a flat spot on the roller.

I also would suggest your first ride be longer than 25 miles, 100 would be good. Watch the temp gauge. It should be just a bit below the middle mark, that is the most common I've seen.

If you can get them to not ride it, that would be good, if they must, tell them to keep the miles less than 5.

The engine has already been run in on a dyno from the factory, there should be a dyno slip with your bike, it will give you HP at the crank.

If anyone disagrees with my opinon, keep it to yourself or state your thoughts on it, I'm not interested in a big debate.

Back