need info on breaking new bike in

donbusa

Registered
I have 90 miles on my new 2003 40th .Just wanted to know if I should follow the manuals instructions for breaking it in? I have talked with suzuki mechanics that say you can get the rpms up to about 8000 before the 600mile period
They say ride her hard and fluctuate rpms often for a proper breakin. Any suggestions much thanx!!!

Heat cycle...50-75 miles and let the engine cool. I did this for the first 500 miles and followed the manual by the book.

The book says under 5500 RPM for the first 600 miles then you can go up to 8000 RPM till 1000 miles. After that let her rip. I would recommend changing oil right away just pull the drain plug, filter is okay till the 600 mile service. The reason for this is that there a lot of metal particles that will circulate through the transmission during the first few hundred miles. They won't bother the engine because the oil filter will trap them, but the trans has no filtration and these particles can coat the gears which will create a friction loss. Also with a new bike there are special lubricants to protect it on intial start up these are more like grease than oil. Many engine builders recommend this for best potential horsepower and engine life. Oil change with a filter is 3.3 qts without filter 3.1 qts.

Personally, I follow the book. It worked for me, I got 73k miles out of my old 93 GSXR.

My 2c.
smile.gif

My mechanic says to follow the manual pretty close, making sure to vary the RPM's. He also said that he has seen engines that were broke in to hard, lose compression and Hp later on. But this is just my .02 worth. You'll here a million different ways to do it here, just follow your gut and don't worry.
cool.gif

I did the initial break in by the book. Dropped the oil at 200 miles, 600 miles and now every 2000 miles. I also change the filter every time I drop the oil. Some may think this is over kill, but I figure it's cheap insurance. My anniversary editon only has 3000 miles on it, due to winter and continuing snow. It's a great ride though, and I love it.

Been using this procedure or variations of it since I've been into fast toys. All of my toys have ran great, seemed a bit faster at the track and on the street than the average comparible factory samples and never used ANY oil. I broke in the busa the same way and nothing but smooth sailing. This is how I will break in every fast toy I have for the rest of my life.

As you can see, you're gonna get a LOT of different answers here. Good luck in choosing one.
wink.gif

Wow, was I glad to see the link above on break-in because that is the exact way it happened, I just found it very hard to stay off the throttle. I have always heard that you need to break it in the way you plan to ride it. (with in reason, of course) I had the "heat cycle" deal explained to me by the mechanic at the dealership and I tried to do some of that. It's not that I just hammered it, but I did do a few pretty hard runs after 600 miles. According to everything I have read, the frequent oil changes are the key. I did the first at 100 miles and then every 400. It just turned 2000k and it seems to get stronger every time I ride, and I ride hard. It needs a new back tire, worn side to side, no more chicken strips!!!

Wow, was I glad to see the link above on break-in because that is the exact way it happened, I just found it very hard to stay off the throttle. I have always heard that you need to break it in the way you plan to ride it. (with in reason, of course) I had the "heat cycle" deal explained to me by the mechanic at the dealership and I tried to do some of that. It's not that I just hammered it, but I did do a few pretty hard runs after 600 miles. According to everything I have read, the frequent oil changes are the key. I did the first at 100 miles and then every 400. It just turned 2000k and it seems to get stronger every time I ride, and I ride hard. It needs a new back tire, worn side to side, no more chicken strips!!!
2K = new meat!

No chicken strips!

Way to go!

my buddy that got me into dragracing, his formula is as follows:

ride through the gears, varying the rpms up to 8k,
once it hits 100 miles.... take it to the dragstrip.

Oh, don't put synthetic in for at least 2k miles.

I did the initial break in by the book.  Dropped the oil at 200 miles, 600 miles and now every 2000 miles.  I also change the filter every time I drop the oil.  Some may think this is over kill, but I figure it's cheap insurance.  My anniversary editon only has 3000 miles on it, due to winter and continuing snow.  It's a great ride though, and I love it.
can never change the oil and filter too much
beerchug.gif

Been using this procedure or variations of it since I've been into fast toys. All of my toys have ran great, seemed a bit faster at the track and on the street than the average comparible factory samples and never used ANY oil. I broke in the busa the same way and nothing but smooth sailing. This is how I will break in every fast toy I have for the rest of my life.

As you can see, you're gonna get a LOT of different answers here. Good luck in choosing one.

[/QUOTE]

BT, I read that article before I broke in my Annibusa and this was the method I used. Seems to be working fine for me.

One thing I would recommend no matter which way you decide to go is to do an oil change after the first 50 - 75 miles. I did mine and you would be surpised how many small metal particles you will find in the oil.

Keep it under 5k rpm for 1st 600 miles. Change the oil & filter. Keep it under
8k until 1000 miles. Vary your rpms within those ranges. After 50 miles vary
your running duration. That means don't run the engine for the same length of
time every time. My '02 has 32,000+ my 99 had over 75000.

Back