Rear stand question.

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
I plan to pick up a rear stand this weekend. I did a search and found one thread about this topic, and some one said the bike went straight up and then fell over.
AAAssjani.gif
I have never had to use one and am paranoid about damaging my bike. Anyone have any good tips for a newbie? I would hate to have to puke on my Busa as I am trying to pick her up! She alread has the pins on the swingarm for the stand, so I should be good to go.

Some people lift and lower the rear without a partner. I always get a neighbor or friend to hold the bike upright while I make sure BOTH sides are inside the cuts b4 lifting.

IMO buy a quality stand.

Make sure you get a stand designed for spools. Redline Industrial is the one I have.

I go solo and have had no issues. I place the stand under the clutch side spool properly and start pushing down on the stand handle making sure the stand stays straight holding on to the tailsection. Some guys remove the rear seat or hump so they have something good to grip. The bike will stand upright placing the stand under the brake side spool. Then I just ease her on up.

If you use another person you might want to position them over the front fender holding the grips or mirror arms.

I was holding a friends bike while he brought the bike off the stand and after it was on the ground the bike suddenly kicked away from me and I was helpless to stop it from falling.

Good luck, others might have better suggestions.

I use a Pit Bull front chock stand with the Pit Bull rear stand. With this I don't need anyone to help. But, if I'am only using the rear, I get my wife to hold the bike up while I lift it up on the stand  
beerchug.gif

I always take great care when doing this. Take your time and you'll be fine. I bet one of those front tire chocks would be the bomb too.

Good information guys. Thanks. I was planning on getting the one that the dealer sells, could not tell you for sure if its a long or short handle. But it has wheels on it with a Suzuki logo. I assume this is a quality stand.

(twotonevert @ Aug. 30 2007,22:53) Good information guys. Thanks. I was planning on getting the one that the dealer sells, could not tell you for sure if its a long or short handle. But it has wheels on it with a Suzuki logo. I assume this is a quality stand.
Just make sure it's designed to be used with your spools.
super.gif

(twotonevert @ Aug. 30 2007,19:53) Good information guys. Thanks. I was planning on getting the one that the dealer sells, could not tell you for sure if its a long or short handle. But it has wheels on it with a Suzuki logo. I assume this is a quality stand.
That is the stand I use and I have put the busa up on the stands by myself hundreds of times. I put a 2X4 under the kickstand to get the bike almost upright without falling over. Place the stand in the upright position behind the rear tire. Standing on the clutch side, place your hand in the open vent on the rear fender, under the hump. Palm up you will feel a grab handle in there. Use your thigh to brace the bike as you stand the bike up the rest of the way and place the stand under the spools. You will feel it when the stand is under both spools as you push the stand handle down, then push the handle down the rest of the way. To take it down, make sure the kickstand is down with your piece of 2X4 underneath. Grab the handle inside the vent while bracing against your thigh and pull the stand handle all the way up with a smooth motion.

(twotonevert @ Aug. 30 2007,19:24) I plan to pick up a rear stand this weekend. I did a search and found one thread about this topic, and some one said the bike went straight up and then fell over.  
AAAssjani.gif
I have never had to use one and am paranoid about damaging my bike. Anyone have any good tips for a newbie? I would hate to have to puke on my Busa as I am trying to pick her up! She alread has the pins on the swingarm for the stand, so I should be good to go.
I remember a post where the bike fell over, while using the rear stand. He was lowering the height of the bike. He used a jack under the bike while it was on the stand. thats when the bike came up and out of the rear stand. I believe he saved the bike before it hit the ground

(twotonevert @ Aug. 30 2007,19:24) I plan to pick up a rear stand this weekend. I did a search and found one thread about this topic, and some one said the bike went straight up and then fell over.  
AAAssjani.gif
Your best bets to put the stand under the spools, close your eyes, then pray and lift. If you don't hear a crash, mission accomplished
wink.gif
As a back up have a nice custom paint job picked out....

JK Actually I use a baxley sport chock to hold the front, and a pit bull forward handle rear stand. The forward handle lets you stand right next to the bike as you lift it....very sweet. Great for solo lifts with no front support too. Only prob is if you don't have the height adjusted right its kind of a bear to lift, not as much leverage as a rear handle. But a whole lot safer
wink.gif

wink.gif

(The Big Red One @ Aug. 31 2007,00:34)
AAAssjani.gif
Your best bets to put the stand under the spools, close your eyes, then pray and lift. If you don't hear a crash, mission accomplished
wink.gif
As a back up have a nice custom paint job picked out....

JK Actually I use a baxley sport chock to hold the front, and a pit bull forward handle rear stand. The forward handle lets you stand right next to the bike as you lift it....very sweet. Great for solo lifts with no front support too. Only prob is if you don't have the height adjusted right its kind of a bear to lift, not as much leverage as a rear handle. But a whole lot safer
wink.gif
Cheater
laugh.gif

wink.gif

Similar to a 2x4, I use a regular house brick under the side stand. Makes it sit nearly upright. Grab ahold of the rear bar if the seat is on or remove the hump and grab the brace inside and then position the stand under the spools and lift, keeping it balanced until the stand picks it up. If you're really paranoid, buy a couple of large beanbag chairs and place them on either side of the bike and even if it does fall over...
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

I lift mine on the rear stand by myself all the time. And I have one of those crappy suzuki rearstands.
Either take your hump off and grab inside to steady or I also grab the passenger pegs... Easy. Leave your kick stand down just in case... Try it with some one spotting you a few times.
E,

Use a Cycle Cat, UCS-1, you won't regret it. You'll have to order it, though.

Here's a vid of a girl (my wiff) using one:

Have fun!

--Wag--

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Pitbull, and haven't once thought it was going to go the other way. I just lean on the hump until she gets centered while at the same time looking over the right side to make sure I'm lining up with the spools. From there, it's a steady hand pressure until I get around back to push it over, and "up comes the backend". You'll get used to it. If "I" can master it, anyone can.......
super.gif

The Busa has a nice balance in the middle, and will allow you to get the stand centered.......no problem......

I didn't read aeeyones replies so sorry if this has all been said already...

1. get a good quality stand (pitbull, redline, etc)
2. the first few times make sure you have a partner help balance the bike both when lifting and setting the bike back down (have them hold the front brake)
3. make sure the stand is aligned properly
4. the first few times should be done on level ground
5. in time you'll be doing all of this on your own without any fuss. The key is just balancing the bike
beerchug.gif

Thanks guys, I feel a little better about the whole deal. I wouldnt need one if I didnt have to remove my kick stand. I need to cut about an inch out of it.

Doing the hump mod for the grab rail will help a great deal as well. If you don't know what I'm talking about, look at the pic in my sig. See how the grab rail is on even with the hump ... that's the mod I speak of.

Back